Beginners and Beyond

Timmynoggy Tuesday Penguins (Read 30 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Timmynoggy:  a device that saves time and labor

In today's case....my couch!  Today is definitely a rest day for me.  Saturday I did my 63rd race of 2013 - http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/7065ae8903b9498f80b07c733856e280/resume#focus.

Sunday, went to Fort Sam Houston and ran 3.2 miles of hills

Monday, went to the YMCA as my starting point, did 3.5 miles easy, and then did a weight training circuit after I got back to the gym.

Unusual for me to run 3 days in a row, my arthritis is letting me know about it!   So rest day today.

Did have a nice dinner with Gail on Veteran's Day at Olive Garden, they were providing a very discounted items menu for all vets.  The place was really busy - San Antonio, with 5 military locations/bases is known as "Military City", so lots of vets and their families showing up - but we got in pretty quickly, actually.

So what Timmynoggy are you using today?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

URD for me. I had some paperwork I needed to get up early and do before work, so I've been up since 5:00 but unfortunately not running. My right shin is bugging me a little bit again, too, so I'm not too upset about the URD and it is probably for the best anyway.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Scott, Kristin and Pengs.  Back from Nashville. Tough drive home in the northern Indiana snow.  Hope to work on RR today at work.  It looks like our PR was by 2 seconds.  Glad the last quarter mile was downhill on Broadway.  Last mile was under 10:00.

After 2 SRD, we will do a short run outside in sub freezing temps.

Have a great day !!!   Big grin

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Mornin' Scotty!  I guess my timmynoggy is my computer, can't do my job without it.

I have finally done what I've been saying I would do for oh, about the last 11 months, speed work!  Started my marathon training today with 9 miles with 4 at HM pace.  Can't wait to see what I can do with some more focused training under my belt.  Definitely a different kind of satisfaction from just having a good run, to nailing a specific workout, I like it!

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

hog4life

Jerry, looking forward to reading your RR.

Hi everyone!

I took Sun and Mon off because my foot is still sore. I think I might just take another day or two. We are getting geared up for a little weekend getaway to the Smokey Mountains. Got 3 nights rented in a cabin, lots of hot tub and beer, sight seeing, Xmas shopping, drinking coffee on the porch early in the morning.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - I'd say that you're definitely due for a rest day.  Thank you for your service.  I'm not sure what my timmynoggy is.  I'll have to think about that one.

Kristin - At least you're working on making it a habit to get up early, and using time wisely.  I hope the rest day helps your shin.

Jerry - That snow was just west of us.  That's the weird thing about lake effect.  If you're not in the band, you don't get anything.  I'm glad you made it home safely.  Great job on the PR.  Take it easy today.

Dto - FINALLY!  LOL  I'm interested to see how more focused training works for you.  I'm going to be disappointed if it turns out that you actually do better with your old routine.  You served as well didn't you?  I think so.  Thank you!

Mitch - That sounds like a plan to me.  P3 and I have been talking about renting a cabin the Smokies for the past year.  I like beaches like everybody else, but part of me would rather be up in the mountains.  I have a feeling that's where I'll be when I retire.

AFM - I had a great run yesterday, and I'm getting excited about running a Turkey Trot in Washington in a couple of weeks, and then a 5K called the Spruce Scoot on December 7th.  The Spruce Scoot also has a 10K and a HM, but they're both partly on a trail.  I don't do any trail running, and feel like a race as my first trail run would be a bad idea.  Also, the trail will probably be frozen.  So, it would hard, uneven terrain on feet that recently took a severe pounding.  I'll pass this year.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Morning all!

I tried to use time to save time! Got out early to be the cold front but just missed it. Turned the corner down my driveway and got a 20 mi north wind in my face. It wasn't too bad yet so I was able to get a mile in. I think it dropped 10 degrees during my run.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Glad you made it back home safely, Jerry.  Indiana snow does not sound like fun.  Congrats on the PR!

Sorry the foot is still bothering you, Mitch.  Smokey Mountains trip sounds nice.

I guess my timmynoggy is my computer, can't do my job without it.  Me too, Dave, lol.  I'm a researcher at my university and am dead in the water without a computer.

Good luck with your upcoming events, Awood!  Washington?   Is that D.C., or the state.  Either way, I'm familiar with both.  I grew up in Falls Church VA and my wife is from Wenatchee WA.

Bin:  Nice photo on yesterday's thread of you and family!

Dang, 20 mph headwind, good luck with that PAD.  I'd be wearing a balaclava!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - Tacoma, Washington.  My wife's family is from Puyallup.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty - Tacoma, Washington.  My wife's family is from Puyallup.

Amazingly, I actually know how to correctly pronounce Puyallup, lol.

My sister-in-law is a graduate of Washington State.

OK, off to do some 'catch-up' at work.  Don't melt down the igloo while I'm gone.  Joking

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Weights and kickboxing tonight.

I have a busy week.  Can I take another vacation day?  Thank you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Good morning Pens! Its cold and snowy here Upstate. I have an easy 3 miler planned. My timmynoggy would have to be the crockpot. I am a SAHM most of the time, which means I spend most of my days driving hither and yon. For some reason my family wants dinner every night. So the crockpot really saves my sanity.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

Dang, 20 mph headwind, good luck with that PAD.  I'd be wearing a balaclava!

It'll be there tomorrow morning, maybe sooner. Smile

hog4life

Awood, stange but true, I actually hate the beach, but want to rent a beach house for a week. We have talked extensively about retiring near/in the Smokies, but don't want the tourist crap of Gatlinburg.