Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins (Read 13 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens! Maybe I should have titled the thread: "Too lazy to come up with something original Tuesday Penguins"

Anyhow, today the schedule calls for 7 but my legs still feel dead from Sunday.  I might just do something more reasonable like 5.  I'd rather hit the starting line a little under trained than get injured in training.  So many people training for NYC are currently suffering overuse injuries and I'd really like to avoid that if possible.  For these same reasons I'm having a bit internal debate as to whether my 20 miler this weekend is necessary or if it is more harm than good.  I think I'll have to see how I'm feeling later in the week.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, not sure what to say about the 20 miler.  I'm pretty sure I won't do any for my next marathon cycle; I plan to follow Hanson.  Some other plans would have me do up to 7 long runs that take 3.5-4 hours!  I think I'd be exhausted and injured after that.

Damaris, have a nice easy 6.

I'm going to meet my club in a bit for an easy run.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I woke up thinking, "Is it Friday yet?"  Can't believe I've only worked one day this week so far!  At least the sun is shining again, finally!  Not much else going on in my world -- quartet is cancelled this week (again??) because of scheduling issues.  But Sweet Adelines International competition is happening in Vegas this week, so there will be some webcast-watching in my future!

sapf -- good luck with your reasonable run!!

Docket -- have a good 6!!

Brilliant -- have a good easy club run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

I haven't done any 20 milers in training, and seem to have survived.  I do think it's an issue when you're penguin-paced because that is a lot of time on your feet.  Also, in much of the world, the standard "longest run" before a marathon is 30 K, so 18.6.  So you could do an "international" LR instead. Smile

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I haven't done any 20 milers in training, and seem to have survived.  I do think it's an issue when you're penguin-paced because that is a lot of time on your feet.  Also, in much of the world, the standard "longest run" before a marathon is 30 K, so 18.6.  So you could do an "international" LR instead. Smile

Yeah I've done 18.6 once already this training cycle.  I'll see how I'm feeling this weekend, but a 20 mile long run is basically 4 hours on my feet for me.  I should just unsubscribe from the NYC Marathon Runners facebook group because it is all people talking about their recent injuries.  I'm starting to get scared!    Kristin is injured right now and she and I are very similar runners so I'm especially fearful.  I hope she heals to get to the starting line.

PADRunner

5 for me this morning, not sure if I'll make group tonight or not.

After my 17 yesterday, I've got a 19 and 3 20s. Not sure how they'll go. I've read that any run over 3 hrs is more risk than reward in training.

GinnyinPA

Jill - sorry to hear that so many are dealing with injury at this stage of the training. That is scary.  I agree that you need to listen to your body.  I did 3 20s, and the second one was cut short because I was in acute pain.  I was glad I did, because I was fine the next week. Maybe really try to slow down your runs this week.

Damaris - enjoy your 6 this evening.

B - hope your club run was fun.

HopesMom - it seems like a lot of your rehearsals have been cancelled lately.  All with the same group or both groups?  Maybe you all need to talk about that next time you get together.

PAD - do you want to do the double today?

AFM:  I found out yesterday there is a local beer runners group, modeled after the big Gettysburg group.  They do 3-5 mile fun runs, followed by a beverage at a local pub with the group.  I may join them this evening, since I'd like to find some folks to run with.  I'd like to go with the G'burg group--they sound like a fun group --but it's an hour over the mountains each way, so not something I'm likely to do except when they have Sunday afternoon runs in the winter.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 4 miles for me this morning - holy cow, I don't know what happened since I ran a workout yesterday but this easy run's splits were 9:34/9:13/9:16/9:15. Lifted a little while ago and my deadlift is back up to 190 for 5 reps, which was my all-time PR 2 years ago. Not in super great race shape, but pretty happy with my general fitness right now! Big grin

sapf - I'd have the same worry and see how you feel later in the week. If you get in a long run that's short of 20 miles but still a good 2-3 hours on your feet I'd think that would be a totally fine substitute.

Amazonian Princess

G'morning!

Belated congrats to last weekend's racing Penguins! Awesome results

Mr. Bacon has been approved for knee surgery (the HMO was hesitant because of his weight so I put together a convincing case, demonstrating fitness (HIIT 2x week, 52 mile bike ride, impressive weight lifting PR's) and a weight loss trend (consult with nutritionist and weekly weigh-ins on Withings). Probably doesn't hurt that I work for the HMO so I know what they like to hear  His knees are a crunchy mess, so we're hopeful that replacement will help and he maybe can join me in some races next year.

Served an hour on the treadmill last night and I have a session with the trainer tonight.The current package of 20 sessions is about done and I'm thinking of cutting back to once a week with her and maybe take a class on my other cross training night, something like spin, or hot yoga since a studio just opened across the street from our apartment.

Have a great Tuesday, Penguins!

I can. I will. I am. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 for us.

Jill, there was a RW article on marathon/long distance training with reasons to train shorter and saving up for the race.  I wouldn't know from personal experience and probably never will :/

http://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/how-slow-should-my-long-runs-be?cid=NL_Beginners_-_09302015_HowtoPaceYourLongRun

Good luck to Mr. Bacon.  Good that you work there, Bacon, but bad for those that aren't insiders.

Amazonian Princess

It's weirdly coincidental that you say that, Jerry, today my boss called me to her office to offer to nominate me to become an Improvement Advisor. If approved, the company would pay for my training and I would take on projects like improving access to services. It's something to think about, because it's a great offer, but it could pull me back into very long days in the cubicle...

I can. I will. I am. 

hog4life

Jill, I would play it by ear. If you are still feeling beat up, a 20 miler will be too much. What's wrong with Kristin? I must have overlooked it.

I just did 8.2 which is my longest run since my half on the sprained ankle.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill, I would play it by ear. If you are still feeling beat up, a 20 miler will be too much. What's wrong with Kristin? I must have overlooked it.

I just did 8.2 which is my longest run since my half on the sprained ankle.

She has Posterior Tibial Tendonitis and hasn't been able to run for like the past two weeks.  I think she still can't walk without pain.  She didn't post it here, but she posted it to Facebook.  It's really sad because I saw her right after she'd finished her 20 mile run and she looked so happy and accomplished.