Beginners and Beyond

Doral 5K RR (Read 78 times)

Docket_Rocket

So, a week ago I ran a 50K and ran for 8 hours on a tough trail.  I knew I had this local race planned for today but never in my life was I expecting to be in any shape or form ready to race this or even attempt the 5K as a speedwork session.

Then, on Monday, I ran a 5 mile recovery run and surprisingly, my pace was faster than recovery pace.  Same on Tuesday and Wednesday, and on and on.  By last night, I seriously starting thinking about doing this as a good speedwork session.  Remember, I did a 5K two weeks ago and came in at 27:22 with my first no albuterol 5K, phlegming and coughing the whole way.  I didn't want that to happen today, but I was going to give my best efforts without albuterol.

Albuterol helps my fast running. If I take it, my short and fast paces get faster and I don't get asthma attacks.  But getting off albuterol was one of my goals for 2013 and so far (knock on wood), I have felt no need to use the med while running.  I might be a tad slower than running with it but I don't like living life taking 5-6 medications a day, so I am now down to 2.  Also, all these inhalers have made me gain some weight but ever since dropping albuterol, my weight has been melting.  I almost couldn't wear my shorts today because they were falling down.  Big grin

So, repeating a good strong performance similar or better than my last 5K was more important than my time.  It was hot and humid again and the race started at 8am, way late so that ball of fire in the sky was super high and bright.  Typical Summer in Miami.  I mean, it is Summer, right?

I woke up at 6:20, drank my coffee and ran to the packet pickup area, 1.25 miles away from my doorstep.  I picked my packet and bag and dropped it at the Runner's Co., tent, our LRS.  I was wearing the LRS shirt, especially since my sunburn had turned into a peeling festival of my back and arms and I didn't want to get sunburn again (and down here, even a 30 minute run can leave you super tanned).  So, not only was I hot from the weather, but also from wearing a shirt instead of a bra.  Oops.  I did a 3 mile warmup with 4 strides at the end and my pace on the strides indicated that today was going to be a good day.

We start a little before 8am (we were early, WTF?) and off we go.  I had put the Garmin on HR only, so I didn't worry about pace.  As usual, I settled at 175 and held on for dear life.  The first mile went really easy for me and because we had the fiery ball of hell on our backs, it was not that bad.  Mile 2 is where I usually start having asthma issues but I reached the mile marker without any and was like say what?  If you remember by Mile 3 of my last 5K I was phlegming and coughing and congested.  It didn't happen today.  The only limit today was how tired my legs were after the ultra last weekend.  I finished the race without any substantial kick but after giving all my chest and legs had in me today.  Finished in 26:10.

Last year, I finished in 26:36 on the same course in better weather but with an asthma attack.  Today, I ran pretty even splits and felt strong throughout and without asthma issues nor albuterol.  I am very happy with my performance today.

The only negative of today's race was that I have always placed in my AG in the last 4 years even with worse times.  However, this race has gathered a following and is famous for being an easy race to place so today there were faster runners.  My time today would have won the AG last year, but today I finished 4th of 24 in my AG.  But I came out of this feeling that if I had not run the 50K last week, I would've PRd for sure today.  Not bad for somebody training for ultras.

Overall, I am very happy with my performance today.

Some pics:

And on to my next marathon....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Well done!

Marjorie

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Man, that is a lot of skin.  Great work, Docket. Be proud!!!

Sloooow.

Congrats on the great race! It's funny how age group placings work out, there was a local one here that I could have won my age group, because not a single woman 20-29 showed up, lol.

Most rescue inhalers are steroid based, right? I had childhood asthma and put on a lot of weight taking the daily "brown" inhaler. You are such a trooper to work so hard, while struggling with asthma!

Docket_Rocket

They are not supposed to make you gain weight because your body "does not absorb it" but they always end up doing it anyway.  I am still skinny but I've noticed an increase in weight since then and now a corresponding reduction now (although the picture does not do it justice since I'm standing on the side).  I still take Symbicort so that weight will not come off.

Congrats on the great race! It's funny how age group placings work out, there was a local one here that I could have won my age group, because not a single woman 20-29 showed up, lol.

Most rescue inhalers are steroid based, right? I had childhood asthma and put on a lot of weight taking the daily "brown" inhaler. You are such a trooper to work so hard, while struggling with asthma!

He, it's mostly the shoulders and upper back.  But since I'll get burned during my marathon next week because there is no way I can run in 92F without showing any skin that I better protect it now to bring the skin out later, ha!

Man, that is a lot of skin.  Great work, Docket. Be proud!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

D - great job today lady. Keep up the awesome work.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

YAYpril - B-Plus

You are are doing awesome without the Albuterol. Great job. Big grin

Ball of Fury

Great job D!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Lookin good as always, D!

Sportin the Tiger Sunday black & red.   WinkBig grin

Of course you're planning this for next week's marathon, right?......

Randy

Docket_Rocket

I see tons of support with this outfit....

Lookin good as always, D!

Sportin the Tiger Sunday black & red.   WinkBig grin

Of course you're planning this for next week's marathon, right?......

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Great race D, that's great you're getting off all that stuff and still running strong.

so is it required for guys running races in Florida to do it shirtless? I'm not sure people would want to see my paleness when I do my 5k in Ft Meyers beach in a couple weeks.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

happylily

You don't need pictures of babes in bikini to embellish your RRs. You're a babe in your own right and you look fabulous, as always! SmileCongratulations on your excellent 5k, so soon after your ultra! You really are a machine!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

It's required here because 100% humidity sucks!  Ft. Myers is cold compared to Miami so you should be fine. I would've worn a bra had I not looked like a two colored cat.

Great race D, that's great you're getting off all that stuff and still running strong.

so is it required for guys running races in Florida to do it shirtless? I'm not sure people would want to see my paleness when I do my 5k in Ft Meyers beach in a couple weeks.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

happylily

I'm moving to Miami tomorrow if guys are required to run shirtless. F*** the PRs. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Congrats D!