Beginners and Beyond

Tromping Through Thursday Penguins (Read 42 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The workout is challenging. I did it when I went through basic training, so I know it works! I just need to get back into the groove again! When I went through basic training, I lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks. 

Scotty -- This is Insanity. It is high a high intensity workout.

Yeah, that is pretty insane.  How come there are no people over 50 in that video?  Senior citizens can't be insane too? Wink

So this is like a video you buy and then just follow the workout program?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wait...OK, this may be a stoopid question, but can someone who has been running for awhile develop shin splints?

You can get shin splints any time during your running life, whether a beginner or experienced.  They can result from overuse  - doing too much too soon or too much too fast - or maybe running too many hills (downhills especially, very hard on the shins), or doing speedwork incorrectly, and so forth.  Many various causes.

damaris- i fixed your box for you Wink

I have them at home but never have time to do them.  If you like those, try Turbo Fire.  You'll dance and kickbox your way to great ass.

ladies- i am going to put on my scotty dog at for a minute Smile

if you do this, please post pictures Big grin

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I have them at home but never have time to do them.  If you like those, try Turbo Fire.  You'll dance and kickbox your way to great ass.

That leaves me out...I can't dance or jump, lol.   And what Tomas said...photos! Big grin

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Hey all!   I'm on break at work...  last minute OT will be holding me here until 6p.  Feeling good though.  I think that early mornin' run helped.   Busy day here...  snow/cold keeping people bumping into each other all over the place.  It is actually sunny outside but only 11 deg F at last check.  This prevents the salt from melting the ice and the snow/ice too hard for the sand to offer much traction.  I cannot WAIT to get out of this state for a week.  10 more days I'll be in Ft Laurderdale and then out to sea!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Kristin, agree with the others, you might just want to DNS for this one.  Walking 10K distance is no cake-walk, you know.  If you have not walked 6 miles all at once before,  you may get really sore and regret it.  Just like runners, walkers have to gradually build up their distance too.

Jack, I use tinypic.com to upload the photos to put on here, it works pretty well.

Is your day now going better, HsM?  Hope so!  Have fun at chorus tonite.  Choosing a course...write all the course names down, stick them in a hat, draw a winner...   Joking

Good luck with your miles, Lauren, hope your leg behaves!

Hope your TM went well, Ginny.  Slipping and sliding, I can relate.  You might get a laugh out of this: when I lived in Dayton I was running during the winter and slipped...slid straight down this large and icy hill on my butt and back, and also did a few donuts - me spinning around a couple of times -  on the way down.  I got to the bottom and was finally stopped by crashing into some trash bags that were out on the street.  There were some kids waiting for a bus near the corner where I crashed.  One of the kids - they were about 10 years old or so - said "That was soooo cool!  Do it again!"   lol.

I have a dilemma about where to run today.   It is so nice out  - 73 right now; at my run time (4:30 pm) it will be 76 to 77, with a dewpoint of 56, sweet - so I was thinking about doing a nice trail run, always enjoyable in pleasant weather and we have some really lovely trails in our area; but the San Antonio Riverwalk is also especially nice on pleasant days too, very scenic running by the river, also with this weather lots of Great Legs will be out; and after I finish, I can enjoy a cold beer post-run down there.    Or I could go out to Woodlawn Lake Park, there is a really nice paved running trail there that circles the lake, and what a great day to do some lake running.  There is also a wildlife park nearby I can run in.  A bit hilly, but once you get to the top, on a clear day like this, you are rewarded with a stupendous panoramic view.  Decisions, decisions.  Joking

Zelanie

Gustav, I would think that every other day would be fine. That's what I did rebuilding from ITBS.

SheCan

Hope your TM went well, Ginny.  Slipping and sliding, I can relate.  You might get a laugh out of this: when I lived in Dayton I was running during the winter and slipped...slid straight down this large and icy hill on my butt and back, and also did a few donuts - me spinning around a couple of times -  on the way down.  I got to the bottom and was finally stopped by crashing into some trash bags that were out on the street.  There were some kids waiting for a bus near the corner where I crashed.  One of the kids - they were about 10 years old or so - said "That was soooo cool!  Do it again!"   lol.

Hahaha!!!!!  Gotta love youngens!

Hey everyone!  Sorry I'm tired today and haven't read everyone yet.  I did a 13-1/2 mile tempo run (well I tried anyways.)   Some lady stopped me and asked "I seen you well over an hour ago running.  Have you been running this whole time?"  Got home and my daughter asked me if I'd been running the whole time I was gone also.  I guess I just need to run faster or something!  Hope you all are doing well, and staying out of trouble!  *Waves at everyone!*

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: I have used tinypic as well, but I can't seem to get it to work using the phone. I am sure it's user error. Technology and I don't always get along.

GinnyinPA

Thanks Ginny. I already emailed about volunteering. what was your injury?

Pelvic stress fracture - four days before my first HM.  I probably actually did the damage before that, but it showed up on an easy 3 miler the Monday before the race.  I kept hoping it was just a strained adductor, but it wasn't.  I was seriously upset on race day, because I really thought it was nothing major since I could walk all right.  It took almost nine months to heal.  Since the pain came out of nowhere, I was really upset on race day.  Since the race is local, I thought it would be great for a first race, though it isn't one of the easier halfs.  I would have done better to volunteer instead of feel sorry for myself, but it took a while before I got my head together enough to see that.  I'll be missing the race again this year, since I'm nowhere near ready to run that far, but if we are in the vicinity, I'd like to help out this time.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Aww Ginny that sucks Sad

Pelvic stress fracture - four days before my first HM.  I probably actually did the damage before that, but it showed up on an easy 3 miler the Monday before the race.  I kept hoping it was just a strained adductor, but it wasn't.  I was seriously upset on race day, because I really thought it was nothing major since I could walk all right.  It took almost nine months to heal.  Since the pain came out of nowhere, I was really upset on race day.  Since the race is local, I thought it would be great for a first race, though it isn't one of the easier halfs.  I would have done better to volunteer instead of feel sorry for myself, but it took a while before I got my head together enough to see that.  I'll be missing the race again this year, since I'm nowhere near ready to run that far, but if we are in the vicinity, I'd like to help out this time.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

By the way I contacted the RD and asked about volunteer opportunities. He forwarded it to the volunteer director, still waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed! Since this race is 4 miles from my apartment I would love to help out. Also since the organization putting it on has a no refund and no deferrment policy I am going to eat my money BUT they have a "volunteer a race and get a race for free" policy so if I volunteer I can register for another race by them for free so it will offset the cost of this race.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

By the way I contacted the RD and asked about volunteer opportunities. He forwarded it to the volunteer director, still waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed! Since this race is 4 miles from my apartment I would love to help out. Also since the organization putting it on has a no refund and no deferrment policy I am going to eat my money BUT they have a "volunteer a race and get a race for free" policy so if I volunteer I can register for another race by them for free so it will offset the cost of this race.

Wow, Ginny.  That's a major injury.  I'm glad you didn't just give up after all that time.

Kristin, that really does sound like a good day to stay involved, and YAY@ getting a free race!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Indoor PR today, 60 min, say 6 miles.  This is a bigger track that our usual track and seems to have less walker problems and is much more friendly.  It's about  5 miles away vs. 1 mile for our "every day" track.  Felt good and took some G chews for a little boost.  Felt good except toes are a little raw.  Think I curl them in a little.

Weekend is here. TGIT.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Here they are. New Balance 860 V3.  They feel good. I haven't gone on a run yet, but I did use them on the treadmill at the running store. Most of the foot pain was gone. My own fault. I have been in such a groove with my running that I forgot to check the mileage... my old pair had close to 500!!! I am still taking tomorrow off and going for the massage because my calves have this soreness that will not subside.