Beginners and Beyond

Tromping Through Thursday Penguins (Read 42 times)

hog4life

Jack, do you run in just the one pair of shoes? I have 2 pair with right at 500 miles, but I am rotating 4 pair at the moment. I suspect they will be dying here soon though. When I first started, I only had 1 pair, and they only made it to around 350 before I started having problems.

Traci, I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time, I feel sad for you.

I did a good tempo run tonight of 8.11 miles with the middle 6 miles at 8:15-8:45. I was targeting around 8:40, so looks like I may be adjusting my goals a little before Feb 17th.

GinnyinPA

Shecan - no, I haven't given up.  I thought about it, especially when it took so long to heal, but running really means a lot to me right now.  I got hurt in March, started running in August, had to stop for two months because the pain returned, then started again in November.  At this point I'm up to12- 15 miles a week.  I'm signed up for a half in September, and my fingers are crossed that all will go well until then.  I have no plans for the next 8 months, except to build miles and avoid injury.  OTOH, if I feel ready, I'd like to do some races in a few months.

Jack - nice shoes.

Hog4Life - looks like you're going to be faster than expected at your race.  Nice.  I only have one pair of running shoes, plus some trail runners that I walk and hike in, and do occasional trail runs in.  My running shoes have about 400 miles, and show no sign of breaking down, so I'm not sure when to retire them.  Any tips?

hog4life

Shecan - no, I haven't given up.  I thought about it, especially when it took so long to heal, but running really means a lot to me right now.  I got hurt in March, started running in August, had to stop for two months because the pain returned, then started again in November.  At this point I'm up to12- 15 miles a week.  I'm signed up for a half in September, and my fingers are crossed that all will go well until then.  I have no plans for the next 8 months, except to build miles and avoid injury.  OTOH, if I feel ready, I'd like to do some races in a few months.

Jack - nice shoes.

Hog4Life - looks like you're going to be faster than expected at your race.  Nice.  I only have one pair of running shoes, plus some trail runners that I walk and hike in, and do occasional trail runs in.  My running shoes have about 400 miles, and show no sign of breaking down, so I'm not sure when to retire them.  Any tips?

Ginny, the best tip I can give, is to buy another pair soon. When my first pair "broke down", it was like it happened overnight. Don't get caught with not having another pair. If you're anything like me, it takes some planning on when to buy shoes. I can't just go out and drop $100 on shoes. I also did not do a good job of tracking my miles on that first pair, but I do now. Back then and being a noob, I didn't know any better.

Mitch

Zelanie

There's a chance that my entire crummy week last week, plus the knee pain, was due to my shoes which had close to 400 miles on them but weren't showing any wear.

Jack, congrats on the new shoes!

tracilynn

Ginny, thats crazy about your pelvic stress fracture.  My mother in law has one also! A stress fracture in her ramus.  She was inspired by me doing c25k and she decided to do it as well only she tried to do the whole couch to 5k in like 2 weeks.  Literally ran twice a day with no rest days. She fractured it end of June and she is just now able to walk without a cane 6-7 months later.

Way to hang in there!  Great job.  If your shoes have 400 miles I would go ahead and buy new ones, maybe 2 new pairs and rotate them.

Nice shoes Jack!

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Oh man, that's a lot of moolah. Check out Venomized's shin splint routine for sure (I think Damaris mentioned it yesterday).. It might be of limited value if you don't know for sure if/where you have weakness, but I'd be happy to type up some of the exercises I do and send them to you too. Hip strengthening is always a good thing for runners, and it'd be something to do while you rest Smile

Thanks, She sent me that already.  Today I did the ones my doctor told me to do and Im gonna print out the venomized ones too.  Im already doing hip strengtheners (the whole myrtl routine) plus core due to my ITBS.  Im just a mess!  Ugh.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hog: I have one pair. If I find something I like, I stick with it. Man, lots of injuries around here!