Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Lager Day WednesDAILY (Read 23 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy National Lager Day and Dewey Decimal System Day.  I'm celebrating Lager Day (tonight).

5 miles for us this afternoon, except I have a holiday party at work, so I might be eating too much to run that far.

Have a great day !!!

on my way to badass

Good morning Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Jerry. Today is the second snow day in a row for us. I am uber-grateful for my treadmill today. I may not be able to celebrate Dewey Decimal Day properly, I'm not sure I'll be able to get to the library to open it. We have over a foot of snow, and its still coming down.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

Morning all. Probably a RD for me. Supposed to have 4x1200 today. I might try to do it after work.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Rest day for me as I have to attend the bankruptcy bar holiday party.

Welcome, Silver!

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

For my run/walk after work yesterday:   62 degrees, no wind, low dewpoint and humidity.  Felt really good out there so just kept going....and going...and going.  The original plan was for 3 miles, but I ended up doing 5 miles, which I have not done in quite a while.   Felt great the whole way!  Ran through a local park and on part of the San Antonio Riverwalk.

This morning got up at 5 a.m. and headed to the university gym.   3 miles done in 32:29.  Beautiful morning for a run!   54 degrees, no wind, again low humidity and dew-point.   Nice quiet morning on the campus, very little traffic, just a couple of other runners and cyclists out....sweeet run/walk! 

Two very nice outings and enjoyed wearing shorts and singlet/running shirt and not having to 'layer up".    Pink Elephant

Lager....MMMM!  Alamo Brewery here in San Antonio just cut the blue-ribbon to build their newest brewery here....good stuff...they often give away free beer here at several local races.

Enjoy the holiday party, Jerry!  Maybe you can sneak in a lunch-time run before the party...and then eat guilt-free! 

good lord, a foot of snow...StoneFence, any time you need a 'snow escape', you are welcome to come visit.  See my 'weather report' above for my last two runs. 

Good luck with your workout, PAD, if you do try it.  Stay safe today, I see rain is moving into our area later this afternoon and then heading up North your way.   And you KNOW how the Texas roads get when it rains, all those crazy bad-weather drivers out there who are not so good in driving in bad weather.  One reason I ran this morning, so I will work a little late to make up the time and all the rush-hour traffic will have died down by the time I leave work today. 

Bankruptcy bar party....are the drinks affordable?    Welcome, Silver?  Is the Lone Ranger's horse here? 

RE: yesterday: Tesla is also that big 'electric car' company.   Texas was heavily involved in trying to get them to come here to build their new manufacturing factory they were going to open in the US.   Nevada won out though, the factory is being built there.

As for 'hair bands' and old-time rock n roll groups, etc....I was chatting with one of our young university work-study students at the office and told him my high school graduating class' song was "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf.  He said..."What's Steppenwolf?"   Wow...make a person feel old....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

obiebyke

Yay Dewey Decimal Day!

SF, are you a librarian?! I am!

Might do tabata after work yesterday. My running schedule is a bit off and I don't want to run 2 days in a row yet.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Last night's gig was sort of logistically interesting.  I looked up the address on our sheet, it looked like it was an hour and a half away from my lab.  That didn't seem right, so I googled the church it was supposed to be at and got the correct address, and sent it out to my quartet.  Then I left my lab early and got to the church about an hour before the performance.  Man, the church was huge!!  So I texted my girls that the church was enormous and that the parking lot was filling up fast with boys in sport coats driving SUV's (I kid you not, we could solve global warming if all those folks switched to hybrid cars).  They decided I was at the wrong place and we were supposed to go to the original address.  So I left the parking lot to go to the original address, but then they called and said stay put, so I parked in an overflow lot across the street.  And then they decided I was in the right spot after all (and so were they) but I needed to come to the back of the humongous church.  I ended up finding a little man with a flashlight and a set of keys who took me through dark hallways to the right place, and we were ready to sing only about 10 minutes late.  Whew!!  One more gig tonight, for another retirement community.  Five more gigs before Christmas!

Jerryb -- yeah, holiday parties are not conducive to running!!  

Stone -- wow, that's a lot of snow!!

PAD -- enjoy either your RD or your intervals!!

Docket -- enjoy the party and the rest!!

Scotty -- woo-hoo for your two sweet runs!!  I'm holding out for the cheaper Teslas that are supposed to come out next year.

obie -- So you're going back in time for tabata?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jerry: Isn't every day Lager Day?

SF: Wow. That is a lot of snow. I guess I missed it, but I didn't know you work in a library. Smile

PAD: Have fun with the intervals. I ran 5x800 yesterday.

D: Bankruptcy party?

Scotty: Well done on yesterday's LR> Enjoy those cool temps.

obie: I have no idea what tabata is but you should run two days in a row.

HsM: I wish I had that many gigs right now. This is usually our slow time.

After yesterday's intervals I am going to take it easy today and run 45 minutes, easy pace. It's still over a week away, but I am already looking forward to my HM.

See ya.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Jerry: Isn't every day Lager Day?

SF: Wow. That is a lot of snow. I guess I missed it, but I didn't know you work in a library. Smile

PAD: Have fun with the intervals. I ran 5x800 yesterday.

D: Bankruptcy party?

Scotty: Well done on yesterday's LR> Enjoy those cool temps.

obie: I have no idea what tabata is but you should run two days in a row.

HsM: I wish I had that many gigs right now. This is usually our slow time.

After yesterday's intervals I am going to take it easy today and run 45 minutes, easy pace. It's still over a week away, but I am already looking forward to my HM.

See ya.

Yes, even the bankruptcy attorneys have fun.  That's what I do for a living (Bankruptcy).

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ah, gotcha. Enjoy the martinis.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ah, gotcha. Enjoy the martinis.

Martinis, hmmmm.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

I'll be happy to celebrate Lager Day this evening.

Jerry - have fun at your party this afternoon.  Will they have beer?  Hard to run far on a stomach full of cookies.

Scotty - sounds like a lovely long run.  I love it when things come together like that.  I think you're still celebrating being warm again.

StoneFence - a foot of snow!  Wow!  No need to go to work, since everyone will assume the library is closed.

PAD - I hope you get your intervals done later.  That's the advantage of the TM - you can run after dark.

DM - enjoy your party and rest day.

obiebyke - smart to take it easy when you're coming back from injury.  Enjoy the tabata.

HM - that must have been insane, wondering where you were supposed to be and running around in circles looking for it.  I hope the singing went well after all that.

Jack - a HM is going to feel pretty easy for you, especially with all the fitness you've gained with your marathons.  Enjoy your easy miles.

AFM:  Yesterday the rain held off so I was able to run 5.5 outside.  I'm hoping the same will hold true this afternoon when I run 4 or 5 miles later.

tracilynn

Lots of librarians here. I volunteered in the library today at my son's elementary school.

No running for me today but will try to do my strength exercises later.

I will have a Sierra Nevada Vienna lager tonight

~~~~~~~

Traci

Happy Dewey Decimal System Day. Who knew? Oh, I guess Jerry did! Again, who makes up this stuff? I've got to find that website with the master calendar so I know what to celebrate. Oh wait, no need to. I can just ask a fellow Penguin!!

I had to peel myself out of bed this morning to get my run in. Glad I got it in, but it was work...mostly just getting out the door. Once out, the moon, though not full, was bright enough that I delayed turning on my headlamp. My typical morning runs are across the street in a neighborhood that  is surrounded by a (country) golf course. As a golfer, I respect protocol and only hit the cart path when no golfers are around. Pretty safe these days when I'm out pre-dawn in 20 degree weather. Today, was especially beautiful with the moonlight. Now, we have yucky, freezing rain.

Stone Fence - luck you! I just love snow...really. As long as it's not treacherous, running while snowing is one of those mystical, magical adventures, that most folks miss out on.

PAD - 4 x 1200...doesn't sound very restful.

Docket Rocket: I think I get it! Have fun at your party.

Scotty - San Antonio Riverwalk...ah. The only time I was there was this time of year, when they had Christmas Lights hanging down from the trees over the river. What a great place to run.

If I'd known it was Dewey Decimal Day, I would have ventured into the library while making a school visit today and done a happy dance. Can't wait to find out what tomorrow is.

Take care all!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K