Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies - Finally a break in the Heat! (Read 33 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I had some messed up dreams, messed up sleep and just overall a messed up night. I seriously didn't want to get up, but damn it I wasn't going to miss out on 60 degrees - and boy oh boy did it feel SO DAMN GOOD.

Jetta and I ran 7.1 miles this morning, she was ecstatic to go since she hasn't run for nearly 2 weeks due to the heat and humidity.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

KCRuns

Good morning!

Thank you all for the encouragement yesterday, it was just what I needed Smile

I ran 3 last night with my Monday group and it felt pretty good.  It was a lot cooler and lower humidity so that helped tons.  And we had someone new show up, which is always exciting!

I had taken about 3 hours of work home last night, but the instructions I was given in my new job for remote login were inadequate and I wasn't able to get anything done.  SO, I got up at 5a and came to work super early instead of running.  I have meetings this afternoon, so limited time to get stuff done.  I'm hoping to squeeze in a run after my meetings, but we'll see how the day goes.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have the 7 miles I didn't run last night.  Big boss is arriving in 2-3 hours and we have a pizza meeting at 1pm.  I think the staff thinks I'm running a marathon because they were counting the people to see how many pizzas and someone said: Docket eats 4 slices so add one full pizza just in case... 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

I had a workout of 15 min warm up + 6x2min 10k effort with 2 min jog + 15 min cool down. Legs felt like shit garbage but I didn't want to move the workout since I woke up early for it and didn't want to do that again tomorrow 

onemile

Okay B&B. I need to choose a 8-10k race in late August/early Sept.  Here are the options.  What do you say?

Aug 30, Lake Country 10k: 35 min drive, Friday night 7pm race. Out and back on a paved path. Flat. Run by a race company I don't really like and sometimes has short courses. Small race. Not certified.) Most likely can get one of my RPs to run with me (URP lives fairly close).

August 31, Conquer Suring Hill 10k: up north where my mom lives, cooler weather, giant hill for all of mile 2. This is my current 10k PR. Small race. Not certified. 8:30am start.

August 31, I Love WI 10k: This is on a course by the lakefront where I run ALL the time. flat. small race, not certified. not very exciting because I run here several times a week. I never heard of this one but races are frequently held in this location. Likely I can get one of my RP's to run with me- RRP lives nearby. Convienient and short drive. 8:30am start.

Sept 1, Buffalo Grove Stampede 10k: This is about an hour's drive. Certified course (although it looks like they are changing the 10k for this year). 2 loops (yuck). Smaller race. Looks pretty flat. 7:30am start.

Sept 2, (Mon) Labor Day Dash 10k Madison: a couple 50ft hills, single loop. About 90 mins drive. 9am start.

Sept 7, Mag Mile Run 10k: Flat course, bigger race (more exciting), certified course, Chicago tends to be a little warmer than WI. 7:30am start, 90 min drive.

Sept 14, Al's Run 8k: starts at 10am, only a week before my goal half but it tends to be a fast race/crowd, certified course and URP is running it for sure. This is downtown Milwuakee - close and convenient. I have run it once before.

Docket_Rocket

I would go with later in hopes of better weather, but if Chicago is warmer than WI, maybe the ones on September 1 or 2nd?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

I would go with later in hopes of better weather, but if Chicago is warmer than WI, maybe the ones on September 1 or 2nd?

you think the weather is gonna change much between August 30 and Sept 2nd? Those are all the same weekend

Docket_Rocket

you think the weather is gonna change much between August 30 and Sept 2nd? Those are all the same weekend

I am more worried about the 7pm race time. It will probably be hotter in the early evening than in the morning (at least it is down here).

So, I would say the August 31st since it's in your backyard might be good especially if paced by your RPs.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

onemile I think I'd be leaning toward either of the 8/31 races. The 9/7 race sounds ideal except for the long drive; depends on what you want in a race environment and what local competition is like - I don't like paying to basically run a time trial unless the race is REALLY right in my backyard. Certified vs. not bothers me less for shorter races/non-goal races but still a consideration when trying to decide between a few.

From the Internet.

It is LOVELY out right now - 63 and raining - and I'm gonna go jog 10 easy miles in a bit. Bummer that it couldn't be like this yesterday but with a club workout tomorrow I wasn't going to tempo today either way.

Cyberic

Okay B&B. I need to choose a 8-10k race in late August/early Sept.  Here are the options.  What do you say?

Aug 30, Lake Country 10k: 35 min drive, Friday night 7pm race. Out and back on a paved path. Flat. Run by a race company I don't really like and sometimes has short courses. Small race. Not certified.) Most likely can get one of my RPs to run with me (URP lives fairly close).

August 31, Conquer Suring Hill 10k: up north where my mom lives, cooler weather, giant hill for all of mile 2. This is my current 10k PR. Small race. Not certified. 8:30am start.

August 31, I Love WI 10k: This is on a course by the lakefront where I run ALL the time. flat. small race, not certified. not very exciting because I run here several times a week. I never heard of this one but races are frequently held in this location. Likely I can get one of my RP's to run with me- RRP lives nearby. Convienient and short drive. 8:30am start.

Sept 1, Buffalo Grove Stampede 10k: This is about an hour's drive. Certified course (although it looks like they are changing the 10k for this year). 2 loops (yuck). Smaller race. Looks pretty flat. 7:30am start.

Sept 2, (Mon) Labor Day Dash 10k Madison: a couple 50ft hills, single loop. About 90 mins drive. 9am start.

Sept 7, Mag Mile Run 10k: Flat course, bigger race (more exciting), certified course, Chicago tends to be a little warmer than WI. 7:30am start, 90 min drive.

Sept 14, Al's Run 8k: starts at 10am, only a week before my goal half but it tends to be a fast race/crowd, certified course and URP is running it for sure. This is downtown Milwuakee - close and convenient. I have run it once before.

Sept 14, Al's Run 8k.  That one would be the clear winner for me, except for the one week before your goal HM.

The one in Chicago is rough with a 90 min drive + 7:30 start... but I would consider it. 7:30 start, the heat has less chance of being a big factor. Of course it could, though.

Tough call. I personnally want my race's courses to be very well measured and timed, so all the uncertified courses I wouldn't do. When I pay for a race, my result better count.

Personally I’d go with one of these. For a 10k, I look for convenience and PR potential, not necessarily excitement. I think the Chicago one would be coolest race environment, but I imagine more challenging logistics.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

One mile, if it's not a goal race, I'd go with the most convenient option.  To me, that looks like I Love WI.

sdWhiskers

My back was feeling better last night so decided to try for run/walk 30 min this morning. I even got up "late" so I wouldn't be tempted to run more. 2 miles in and everything felt good...so of course I thought Let's just run a few more...and ended up at 6.7 mi and late to work. Ooops. Well not really late just later than normal for me. I'm usually in 7-730am but most people are more like 830-9. I can still feel back tightness when bending over or sitting with poor posture (and I am the poster child for poor posture) but I don't think the running had an effect either way.

I'll probably aim for normal miles this week but nothing with much intensity just to make sure I don't tweak the back again. And I'll skip lifting this week.

sdWhiskers

Morning!  I have the 7 miles I didn't run last night.  Big boss is arriving in 2-3 hours and we have a pizza meeting at 1pm.  I think the staff thinks I'm running a marathon because they were counting the people to see how many pizzas and someone said: Docket eats 4 slices so add one full pizza just in case... 

When we have pizza at work, my female coworkers eat like one small slice and then salad. Meanwhile I'm over here shoving it in my pie hole with the guy that mountain bikes 100s miles each week.