Beginners and Beyond

PENGuin's WednesDAILY (Read 19 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pengs and guests.  Have a great hump day for those celebrating !!!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning!  I haven't checked my workout schedule,but I'm sure I planned something fun :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning!  I haven't checked my workout schedule,but I'm sure I planned something fun :-)

I'll outsource my run again.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today, but I may go do the 2-Mile Zoo Fun Run, which is an easy social run on the trails in the park near the Zoo and the run helps raise money for the Animal Care Fund at the Zoo.  The run is held each week on Wednesday night at 6:30 pm.

Yesterday after work I went to Fort Sam Houston and did 4.1 miles of hills, hills, and more hills.  I felt really good and ran all the hills strongly and non-stop.  At least the uphill parts.  I arranged the route so my walk breaks would be on the downhills, which are much harder on my back than the uphills, thanks to this stupid arthritis, downhills pound my spine more.  All in all, a very nice run/walk, and in beautiful weather too....67 degrees, humidity in the 40 percent range and dewpoint about the same.....nice!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jerry, glad to read in yesterday's threat the good news about your nephew.

Have fun at work, Awood.  My fun-thing at work each morning - - is obits.  We review the local obits each morning to determine if anyone related to our school donors has passed on and then if so, we have some staff that send out condolence letters.  Yeah, fun stuff reading obits each morning.  Shaking Head Sad emoticon (Sad Emoticons)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD from running.  Bike ride tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Hiya D, Jerry, Awood, Scotty.

4.4 for me last night, I woke up to 37 degrees this morning. After coffee and morning business, I'll try for 6-7.

Zelanie

Morning!  6 last night after a long day at work, and 6 planned for tonight. Smile

Jerry- Was your doc appointment yesterday, or is it still coming up?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

8 miles today with 3x2 miles @ 8:00. Hopefully it won't be too hot.

It'a almost Friday. Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, I think Scotty jinxed us yesterday, because we made all kinds of goofs singing for the Alzheimer's folks yesterday.  In our defense, we've been concentrating on about four songs for the past couple of months, and we sang everything EXCEPT those four songs last night.  But I think each of us muffed the words at some point -- a couple of songs we had to just restart.  But it's all good.  They sang along, and a good time was had by all.  Today I have NO MUSIC PLANS!!  Just heading home after work and hanging with the hubby.

Jerryb -- good morning!!

awood -- have fun with your something fun!!

Scotty -- you have been having some great runs lately!!

Docket -- have a good bike ride!!  Has the return of Old Man Winter given you a break from the heat?

hog -- it's freezing here too.  I grabbed a fleece jacket, should've grabbed a hat and mittens too!

Zelanie -- have a good six!!

Jack -- sounds like a nice hard run, good luck!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - hope your wife enjoys your run for you.  How is the knee is behaving?  What did the surgeon say?

Awood - have a good run, whatever it may be.

Scotty - the zoo run sounds like fun.  How much do they charge?   Some obits  can be interesting.  The Washington Post used to do some very in depth ones on Sunday, and Heather Lende, an Alaskan writer I enjoy, does obits that celebrate the life of the person who died, opening up their experiences to the reader.  Much better than "x is survived by . . . "

Damaris - have fun on the bike this evening.

Mitch - I enjoyed your RR.  Enjoy your six today.  How do the legs feel after all the hard work last weekend?

Zel - hope you don't have to run as late tonight.

Jack - enjoy your tempo run tonight.  Sounds like you didn't get any of the freeze up the rest of us got this week.  Just as well for the crops, but I imagine you'd enjoy a bit of a cool down.

HopesMom - enjoy your rest day today.  Though I imagine, even when you're not singing with your group, you're singing in the shower and in the car.  You can't really escape the music.

AFM:  I didn't run yesterday.  I got a hair cut and went to the library instead.  It's still cold today (31 at the moment) but sunny.  Nice for walking the dog, especially compared to yesterday's all day drizzle.  I'll do four later.

Singer who runs a smidge

<---- totally sang in the car for the hour commute this morning!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

My friend posted her Garmin map of the HM. Nobody paused he watch so it shows her running nice even splits for almost 11 miles, then zooming to the hospital.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, I think Scotty jinxed us yesterday, because we made all kinds of goofs singing for the Alzheimer's folks yesterday.  In our defense, we've been concentrating on about four songs for the past couple of months, and we sang everything EXCEPT those four songs last night.  But I think each of us muffed the words at some point -- a couple of songs we had to just restart.  But it's all good.  They sang along, and a good time was had by all.  Today I have NO MUSIC PLANS!!  Just heading home after work and hanging with the hubby.

Jerryb -- good morning!!

awood -- have fun with your something fun!!

Scotty -- you have been having some great runs lately!!

Docket -- have a good bike ride!!  Has the return of Old Man Winter given you a break from the heat?

hog -- it's freezing here too.  I grabbed a fleece jacket, should've grabbed a hat and mittens too!

Zelanie -- have a good six!!

Jack -- sounds like a nice hard run, good luck!!

84F here.  Does that answer your question?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page