Beginners and Beyond

Lovely Morning ThursDailies (Read 22 times)

yeah I hadn't mentioned it yet here. I had been casually looking at some of the big name companies in the area but this has all happened *very* fast - I only applied for it last week Tuesday (kinda on a whim without putting much thought into it) and they contacted me within 2 hours and I have already had a phone screening last week and the initial zoom interview with the hiring manager on Monday.  And then they wanted to immediately setup the next rounds.  I wasn't really sure re: the job function - honestly it was even hard to even interpret the job description (talk about a buzz word word salad) and I am probably a good bit under-qualified.  But I am getting more interested/excited about it having learned more about what the job actually is about and they seem to like me.

I don't really have a problem with my current job so much as that the responsibilities have increased a lot from when I first started the job and the structure of the department has changed so in that I am performing the same job function as others in my group who I know are paid significantly more than I am.

Cool! Good luck!! Better pay potentially? Would the commute be better or worse?

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hopefully the answer to this is no commute.

onemile

Yes, I gave them a high salary range and they didn't indicate in any way it wasn't in line with what this job pays but we'll see if they make an offer what it is. I wouldn't switch jobs without a decent bump.

The commute would be identical as the building is across the street from where I currently work 

I just hope that after these 2 interviews they make a decision and don't make me do yet a another round! 

Cyberic

4 seconds per mile is NOTHING. you probably worked harder to run a slower pace the other week when it was warmer.

I agree. I now go out of my way to make sure I put no emphasis on specific paces. Not saying I'm right, but IMO, specific paces in plans help to understand the effort you're supposed to put in, and yes there are purposes, and it all makes sense, but there is also a trap to become slave to the paces.

I used to be a master at paces, I was very steady, and the way I was doing that was constantly looking at my watch and adjusting my pace. A little less, a little more, split over, YES I hit my pace spot on!!! It worked very well for me, too.

But now I know how a tempo workout is supposed to feel, how an intervals workout is supposed to feel. When I was focusing on pace, some days I left too much in the workout, and some days not enough. But my pace was steady. Now my effort is more steady, and some days my pace is a bit faster, and some days it's a bit slower. I focus on how tired I want to be at the end of each rep, and at the end of the workout.

Not saying my way is better, just that it explains that to me, 4 seconds per mile off does in no way mean you missed the purpose of the workout.

The commute would be identical as the building is across the street from where I currently work 

LOL! You’d run into all your old co-workers. Most importantly—keep the flexibility to run in the middle of the day?

Dave

Cyberic

I am performing the same job function as others in my group who I know are paid significantly more than I am.

There you go.

onemile

Most importantly—keep the flexibility to run in the middle of the day?

Not sure yet - it sounds like there is WFH flexibility but not 100% remote.  And if I start a new job I probably have to be on my best behavior at least in the beginning.

They do have a free gym for employees and FREE LUNCHES

I agree. I now go out of my way to make sure I put no emphasis on specific paces. Not saying I'm right, but IMO, specific paces in plans help to understand the effort you're supposed to put in, and yes there are purposes, and it all makes sense, but there is also a trap to become slave to the paces.

I used to be a master at paces, I was very steady, and the way I was doing that was constantly looking at my watch and adjusting my pace. A little less, a little more, split over, YES I hit my pace spot on!!! It worked very well for me, too.

But now I know how a tempo workout is supposed to feel, how an intervals workout is supposed to feel. When I was focusing on pace, some days I left too much in the workout, and some days not enough. But my pace was steady. Now my effort is more steady, and some days my pace is a bit faster, and some days it's a bit slower. I focus on how tired I want to be at the end of each rep, and at the end of the workout.

Not saying my way is better, just that it explains that to me, 4 seconds per mile off does in no way mean you missed the purpose of the workout.

Well I think this is the correct way to do it. I just find that even after all this time, I sometimes gauging the correct effort. As recently demonstrate. I am kind of still a slave to paces.

Dave

They do have a free gym for employees and FREE LUNCHES

OK, now I’M excited about this job!

At my last job in MI, I had two different bosses over that time, and both were big fitness guys. So they were totally cool about extra-long lunches to get my run in.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Well I think this is the correct way to do it. I just find that even after all this time, I sometimes gauging the correct effort. As recently demonstrate. I am kind of still a slave to paces.

Interesting feedback from everyone, thanks.  It would have been nice if my watch hadn't gone into cadence lock; then I could have compared my effort via heart rate to other recent runs.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

LRB

yeah I hadn't mentioned it yet here. I had been casually looking at some of the big name companies in the area but this has all happened *very* fast - I only applied for it last week Tuesday (kinda on a whim without putting much thought into it) and they contacted me within 2 hours and I have already had a phone screening last week and the initial zoom interview with the hiring manager on Monday.  And then they wanted to immediately setup the next rounds.  I wasn't really sure re: the job function - honestly it was even hard to even interpret the job description (talk about a buzz word word salad) and I am probably a good bit under-qualified.  But I am getting more interested/excited about it having learned more about what the job actually is about and they seem to like me.

That is where I was when I applied for my current position. I went from not even caring about it to omg I want the job so bad within a matter of days, it was really weird. I was having lunch with a coworker at an Asian restaurant in-between interviews and my fortune read,"You are offered the job of a lifetime - say yes". Of course those things are random and have zero meaning on anything but it was timely. I still have it somewhere in fact.

Docket_Rocket

Hopefully the answer to this is no commute.

Right?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

YO WHAT'S UP.  I just got back from easy 10K shakeout, crammed between work meetings.  Tired legs from yesterday.

I had a divisional meeting this morning.  The agenda had 10 minutes allocated for a "return to work" discussion, and it took up 50 of the 60 minutes.  We're still looking at August.

<3

Ribs not good, this is going to take a while, will take a bit just to get to pool run.

I had a divisional meeting this morning.  The agenda had 10 minutes allocated for a "return to work" discussion, and it took up 50 of the 60 minutes.  We're still looking at August.

Whoever allocated only 10 minutes appears to be completely clueless. What is a more important topic to any workforce right now? I'm sure it stopped at 50 min only because someone cut it off.

Dave