Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins are Late to the Party (Read 19 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Where is everybody?

I have 10 on the schedule today.  It's very wet outside, but the rain seems to be over.  It's just foggy and damp.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Must be shopping day for the penguins.  My captain's duties are keeping me busy.

Stay dry Ginny.

Zelanie

Hi Ginny and Jerry.  We went up to Portland yesterday for DD's college interview. It went really well and I really hope she gets in. First of all, it's the school that I went to,  but also it's the closest to home. I could see her being really happy there. But we will see whether they pick her, and if she picks them.

Today I will run between 1 and 6.2 to keep the streak alive. I've had 3 good days in a row so far, hoping it continues!  All on the TM because I have no tolerance for this weather when I can just stay home. Plus then I don't have to decide in advance how far to go.

Jerry- Hiya! Hope your team is coming together!

Ginny- Sometimes those overcast runs are the nicest. Hope the weather holds for your run.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I am at work, that's where I have been.  Will run 6 after Pilates tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Ooh I might cry. I had some ankle tendon weirdness yesterday and my right leg locked up intermittently while I was running. Thought it was just due to the ankle throwing the rest of my stride off since that happened a couple years ago - taped up ankle, rolled out all of the right leg and hip, ankle feels 100% now but I still can't do a single-leg squat on the right or hop more than once (not due to pain, due to being physically unable to force my full weight off the ground with that leg). Calf had been tight, hamstring had been tight, but I didn't feel like it was bad enough to take time off since I warmed out of the stiffness within a couple miles. Now I'm panicking that the calf tightness might have led to a fibula stress fracture. Outer calf is still tight and the fibula is so far below the muscle that I can't tell if there's a painful spot in there or not. It's not a weight-bearing bone so I don't know if lack of other symptoms is really reassuring or not  - when I had bad shin splints/stress reaction in my tibia and when my broken toe was healing, I'd have infrequent shooting pain in the bone at rest, and that's not happening with this.

GinnyinPA

Lauren - give it a couple of days rest and see how it goes.  It's too soon to panic.  Keep rolling and massaging the tight muscles, and maybe try some Epsom salts to take away any inflammation.  I hope it's nothing major.  In any case, rest won't hurt.

Z - that is definitely an advantage of the TM.  You don't have to figure out ahead of time how far you're going, you just run. And usually once  warmed up, I end up going a bit farther just because it's easy.

I really wasn't in the mood to run today. Not enough sleep and just all over tiredness from several days in a row of fairly hard running made the thought of going 10 more hard to face.  I made sure that I couldn't skimp on the miles by starting in town, running a few miles there, and then heading home the usual 6 mile route.  I kept the pace easy, so by the end I felt better.  I was still happy to reach home, lunch and a hot bath.

hog4life

About to wrap up my last work day, then I get a 5 day break. Me and the Mrs are taking a little vacation to the mountains

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.  It was interval day on the TM; 5x800 @ 6:49 pace, 5.5 miles total. The house clean up starts tomorrow so today I am kicking back with DD2 watching "Parks and Rec."

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Ginny, good for you!  Nice getting that run done when you really didn't want to.

Jerry, being Captain should be really easy with the new game format, good luck!

Zel, what an exciting time for your family.

Lauren, I agree with Ginny, don't panic yet!  Fingers crossed that a little rest will ease it for you.

I had 3 really good days of running. (Th, Fri, Sat). Then took a Sunday rest day and had another good run Monday.  Last night when I got up in the middle of the night I knew I was in trouble - the PF flared up again.  I thought I'd nipped it in the bud, grrr.  So no running this morning.  I went shopping instead; the foot felt good enough for that. 

From the Internet.

Thanks Ginny and Brill, trying to get the panic under control. If it's something bad, might as well start resting now, and if it's something minor, I'll be back to normal with just a little rest. I have knots *all* up and down that leg and hip, so I'll keep rolling and massaging and hope for the best. Epsom salt soak sounds lovely but that would mean I'd have to clean my bathtub - it's not pretty right now! 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Rest that cankle, Lauren.

How's yours, Mitch ???

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Just popping in to say hello.  I ran a mile yesterday and today... and that's it.  I'm still coughing a bit though not as bad.  Mostly I've gotten lazy over the past few weeks of not being able to run much and I just need to suck it up and get back to it... dun dun dun...  Also there was much holiday baking to be done today =P  I'm heading down to my parents tomorrow evening and I'll be there for several days.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)