Beginners and Beyond

Tax Day Wednesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Morning Penguins!

Cross or run later, only time will tell.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning !!!  SRD.  Traveling to Salt Lake today.  Hope the air isn't too thin to run on Saturday.

Have a great day !!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 miles tonight.  woke up with a bad migraine that I wish was a hangover.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

HAPPY HUMP DAY PENGUINS!

Today is my runiversary...my very first run that started it all for me was 32 years ago on April 15, 1983, and I've been going ever since. 

Holidays for today

*Income Tax Day:  Nuff said!

*Jackie Robinson Day:   On this day, Jackie was the first African-American to play a baseball game in the Big Leagues

*McDonald's Day:  Mickey D is offering all kinds of 'freebies' on tax day...check your local area ones if you're interested

*Rubber Eraser Day:  recognizing the invention of the eraser.  April 15, 1770 Joseph Priestly founded a vegetable gum to remove pencil  marks.  He dubbed the substance “rubber”.

*Take a Wild Guess Day:  Today honors all kinds of intuitions, divinations, hunches, and sixth senses.

Image result for how many penguins

*That Sucks Day:  Historically, a lot of bad things happen on That Sucks Day, not least of which is that it’s income tax pay day, and this is also the day the Titanic sank and that Abraham Lincoln died

*World Art Day:  In celebration of the birthday of Leonardo Da Vinci

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run/walk after work yesterday at Joint Base Fort Sam Houston.  78 degrees, sunny, blue skies, low humidity and dewpoint.  Ended up doing my 'dog alley' route and going for 5K distance.   My back was bothering me before I ran and then when I did run, something 'popped' and it suddenly felt better, go figure.  So a nice bonus to my run there.   Today I am leaving work early for an appointment and then will get in a run/walk at Randolph Air Force Base.  Again, nice and sunny, and a tad warmer than yesterday, with today's temps around 82.  Tomorrow, we are supposedly getting rain moving in for the next two days, oh yippee.  Hope it goes away for my 5K on Saturday morning.

Also, Fiesta San Antonio has started, so lots of events all over town for the next 10 days...parades, Night In Old San Antonio (3 nights of party, music, booze, and food), jazz music at Taste of New Orleans, and lots more..  Check out the Fiesta San Antonio website:   http://www.fiesta-sa.org/ - and then come on down one year for the Fiesta.  Besides the parades, etc., there are also about 4 races done during this time too..Fiesta Missions 5K/10K,  Wildflower 5K/10K, Fiesta Especial 5K, Fiesta Fandango 2.6 Mile Fun Run (you run the parade route in front of THOUSANDS of spectators), and so forth.  Y'all come visit, ya hear? 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Today will be 5.5 or so miles of "urban hills" aka the bridge run =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Morning!  Didn't get my miles in yesterday.  I ended up in kind of a "rebound" funk- you can't have a super happy blissed out running weekend without it catching up to you sooner or later, right?  So I was just a bit crabby and didn't run, although that probably would have helped.  Anyway, hopefully I will get some miles in today. Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, my PT appt was informative.  She thinks my bad patellar tracking is from tight IT bands and weak hips and glutes.  Hmm, seems I've heard other penguins have similar issues ... anyway, she wants to see me twice a week.  I told her I would not be able to leave work 2 hours early twice a week a counter-proposed once a month.  We settled on twice a month.  So now I have a whole routine to do at home and a new black stretchy band to use.  And after doing the exercises this morning, my hips are wiped!!  I could use a nap!

PAD -- enjoy your time-telling exercise!!

Jerryb -- safe travels, and have fun!!

Docket -- so sorry about your migraine!!

scotty -- the fiesta sounds fun, and woo-hoo for your back feeling better!!

sapf -- good luck with the urban hills!!

Zelanie -- sorry about the crabbiness, and get out there today!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, my PT appt was informative.  She thinks my bad patellar tracking is from tight IT bands and weak hips and glutes.  Hmm, seems I've heard other penguins have similar issues ... anyway, she wants to see me twice a week.  I told her I would not be able to leave work 2 hours early twice a week a counter-proposed once a month.  We settled on twice a month.  So now I have a whole routine to do at home and a new black stretchy band to use.  And after doing the exercises this morning, my hips are wiped!!  I could use a nap!

PAD -- enjoy your time-telling exercise!!

Jerryb -- safe travels, and have fun!!

Docket -- so sorry about your migraine!!

scotty -- the fiesta sounds fun, and woo-hoo for your back feeling better!!

sapf -- good luck with the urban hills!!

Zelanie -- sorry about the crabbiness, and get out there today!!

Hope PT helps!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Me too.  Otherwise I'm tying up my knees and doing clamshells for nothing! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

6 miles done this morning, including 4x800s...I thought I would surely die.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Shin and calves and IT bands all seem to cooperating again. Massaged out some nasty knots Monday night, ran the first track workout of the year yesterday morning. I'd planned to do 6-7x800 at 5k pace but I forgot how hard 5k pace is when you haven't run that fast in 6 months :P 4x800 in 3:45, 3:48, 3:45, 3:52 - faded hard in the last one and opted to knock it down to 10k pace for a 1200 (5:56) to finish it off. 7.5 miles total.

Today was 5 miles easy trying to focus on form a bit - picking up my knees more, not scuffing along like I usually tend to do at easy/recovery pace, and landing softly. Felt nice.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Jerry: What's going on in Salt Lake? Good luck with the beer. I know of at least two Costcos that do not sell beer or wine. Heck, their soda machines in the food court don't even have Coke.

Taxes are done. As usual, we are getting a federal refund and have to pay the state, as if they don't take enough of my paycheck to begin with. It will be nice to leave CA, someday for good.  5 easy miles yesterday and a rest day today. I am hoping for some kind of long run this weekend, probably on Sunday. I would really like to jog/walk the marathon but we'll just have to wait and see. Bad news on my mom. Sigh... They found cancer in her other lung and she is going in for her first surgery next week. They are going to take out the cancer and some lymphnodes to see if it has spread. For her it's a 6-8 week recovery and then surgery on the other lung. We were going to cancel our trip for the marathon but she won't let us, so that's kind of why I really want to do the marathon and not the HM. I'm glad she has a positive attitude about it all because we're all bummed about it.

See ya.

Docket_Rocket

I'll be thinking of your mom, Jack.

Damaris

Fundraising Page