Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILY Penguins: Happier than a Camel on.... (Read 34 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) ShyShyShy

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning.  Early start on stretching and icing, then off to work.

Awood, I'll have to pass on the beer this time, but thanks.  Maybe when you go to Milwaukee.

Have a great day !!!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Alright Jerry.  Maybe next time.

AFM - I was just looking at my running since the first of June.  I can't believe I've run 40 days in a row, and I REALLY can't believe that I've covered 300 miles.  It does a lot for my confidence as a future marathon runner.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I posted pretty late last night that I ended up getting home a bit early from work, so I immediately changed and was able to get a run in. 5.6 miles. However, that meant that there was less than 12 hours (8 to be exact) between when that run finished and when I would have to start this morning's run, which was going to be my "easy 2 mile jog" which is ranked 5th out of my 5 runs per week on my plan. Sometimes I do it, and some weeks where for whatever reason the 5th run isn't happening, this is the one I eliminate. I guess this week it is eliminated. My run never got past the stretching and foam rolling in my apartment stage. My lower back has this really odd soreness/tightness and my right inner quad is tight, knotty and spasm-y and that is causing my right inner knee to feel a little sore.....a URD may be a better idea. I have been running an awful lot lately and IDK what is up with these aches and pains but to me that means take it easy.

Have a good day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I'm in Court already so 6 miles tonight.  I am pretty sleepy so my coffee is being appreciated right now.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy July 10!   July 10 'bizarre holidays"  are Pina Colada Day and Hot Dog Night!  Enjoy a drink followed by an oh-so-healthy hot dog! Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Got my run/walk in after work.  However, I started a bit earlier than 5 pm, so when I started the temperature was 96 degrees with a heat index of 100.  Thankfully the humidity was only 48 percent and the dewpoint was just under 70 at 69.  I started from the Y and ran into the nearby park where I had lots of cover. Shade cover, that is.  Big trees all around the trails.  I felt pretty good and got in 3.2 miles at a very easy pace, with my last mile being 10:42, which is pretty speedy for me.  Our local darn weatherman lied, though.  He said it would start to cool down after 5 PM.  It did not.  When I finished , as I went back into the Y, the front desk guy showed me his local weather app.   The temp I started out in was the same, 96, but the 'feels like' temp had actually increased by a degree to 101, sheesh.   Oh well, got it done, and felt pretty good the whole way.

Hope the stretching is helping you, Jerry.

Wow, 40 days in a row, way to go, Awood!

Well, at least you got your miles in last night, Kristin.  Sorry about the aches and pains, though, hope those resolve quickly!

You're posting from court, Damaris?  The judge doesn't frown on that? Joking  Good luck with your 6 later.   I got a 'jury summons' in the mail yesterday.  Per the County Courts Clerk from a few years ago when I presented my medical information, I am theoretically 'ineligible' for jury duty; because of my back I have to get up and move around about every 20 - 30 minutes or so and - as the Clerk put it back then - judges tend to frown on jurors popping up and down during the proceedings. Joking   So a notation was supposed to have been made in my record.  Apparently not.   So once again, need to take my medical information to the court to get it "officially" put into the system.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Awood, 40 days! Congrats!

6M done on a hot evening.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

Jerry – take care of that hip.  I’m a big proponent of the benefits of icing injuries / aches and pains.

Awood – awesome streak!  You are really racking up the miles.

Kristen – I would also have trouble with a 12-hour recovery period.  I can’t remember – do you have an injury that necessitates the rolling/stretching before your run?  I ask because most of the latest dogma suggests that static stretching before a run is detrimental to performance and can actually lead to injury (trying to stretch cold muscles).  I know that DD’s college track team did dynamic stretching to warm up – no static stretching until the workout / meet was over.

DR – enjoy the 6 later.  Is DH still on the DL?

Scotty – Now I have this mental image of a jury box where the jurors pop up randomly like “Whack-a-mole”, and Damaris trying to keep order by whacking with giant padded mallet.  I guess it’s best that you be excused from duty.

Bin – good job on the 6

AFM – I did 7.5 miles last night, and the conditions were not as bad as I anticipated.  Still warm and humid, but some clouds rolled in and there was a bit of a breeze from thunderstorms in the distance.  Today is a SRD.

From the Internet.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MEEEEE Big grin Pool running workout followed by a muffin and the best iced coffee in the world from my favorite local bakery, who also happen to give you a free delicious loaf of artisan bread on your birthday Big grin I didn't think I'd be so excited for my birthday this year but the free bread sealed it for me, haha.

Bin Running

Happy birthday, Lauren.

Oh ya, added a HM to the signature. I had wanted to limit myself to only 10 races a year. Looks like I might bust it.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I have quartet tonight, chorus tomorrow night, then we head down to NC on Friday!  I think we're supposed to start Christmas music tonight ... tis the season!

Jerryb -- hope the stretching and icing is helping!  Mmm ... icing ... oh, you're not talking about cupcakes?

Awood -- Let's see, since the start of the year, I think I've covered 30-something miles.  Which gives me some certainty about my future as a marathoner too ... it ain't gonna happen!

kristin -- wow, sounds like everything just kind of rebelled!  URD indeed!

Docket -- have fun with coffee and court!!

Scotty -- I had coconut and pineapple in my morning smoothie, so that'll have to do!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for your 8!!  This seems to be your distance of choice, yes?

Phillie -- have a good SRD!!

Lauren -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  Enjoy the bread!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Happy birthday, lauren!!!!

Phillie, he is now sick which I think came at a great time because I won't let him run with a fever And that will help improve the shin.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty – Now I have this mental image of a jury box where the jurors pop up randomly like “Whack-a-mole”, and Damaris trying to keep order by whacking with giant padded mallet.  I guess it’s best that you be excused from duty.

Whack-a-mole jurors, LOL!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Good morning!  Going to drop DH off at work after he drops his car off, then run an easy 4.  Legs feel pretty good after yesterday's crazy trail, we'll see how they feel about running.

Jerry- Don't work too hard.

Awood- I didn't realize you were streaking and putting up that mileage.  Good work!

Kristin, Damaris, Scotty- Hi again!

Bin- Nice job in the heat!  3 races within about a month?  Enjoy!

Margo- Enjoy the RD!

Lauren- Happy birthday!   What kind of muffin did you get?

HsM- No!  Not Christmas music already!  We still have plenty of summer left, don't we?