Beginners and Beyond

Parkland 5 Mile Holiday Run RR (Read 309 times)

Bad Ass

Today, I ran the Parkland 5 Mile Holiday Run in Parkland, Florida.  This was to be a test of how well I am doing and whether I can race without albuterol.  I got to say this test was a success.

I did no taper for this; in fact, I've run a lot of miles this week.  So, my legs were tired and so was I.  Still, I thought I could still PR.  After all, my PR of 44:50 is soft and from two years ago.  In April, I attempted a 5 miler race and had a huge asthma attack, coming in at a disappointing 46:33, which was the story of my first half of the year.

But I knew I felt much better now and my runs have gone well, so I was ready to see how well I could do.  I've been doing multiple marathons so I also knew there is no way to get a huge PR in any of my races and the closer to my second maniac star, the tired I'm going to be.  So, this weekend worked perfectly.

I woke up at 5am with a migraine.  Not as bad as others, but still a bother.  I drove to Parkland, which is around 45 minutes away, picked my packet and went out for a warmup run.  By the time I was in Parkland, I was nauseous from the headache.  At least the weather was nice, 71F and 69 dewpoint, but that means the humidity was close to 100%.  I was soaked before I even started the race.

Instead of my usual racing flats, I went with regular trainers (Mizuno Precisions).  Since I've twisted my ankle three times this week during runs, I didn't want to lay low on the support and have more issues.  The extra weight of the Precisions did not hurt me and I don't think I could've shaved that much time by using a light shoe.

The race was advertised as flat and fast.  It was fast, but the last two miles were not flat.  My plan was run by a HR of 172 and not to look at the pace this time around.  This has worked well for my asthma and I knew it was the best to control it if I was not taking any medication.  And off we went!

Mile 1 - As is typical of a run by HR, the first mile is always faster than the rest.  The most important part of this is that my HR and pace show a very nice improvement as compared to a month ago.  Pace: 8:01.

Mile 2 - At the end of this mile, I started coughing, which is a prelude of an asthma attack.  However, as recommended by my doctor, I refrained from using the inhaler to see if I would get an asthma attack or get over it.  Pace: 8:32.

Mile 3 - At this point, the temps were close to 75F and the humidity was still high.  There is no shade on the course, as is typical of South Florida, so I am sweating like a pig, but still running a good pace.  I was still coughing throughout this mile but by the end of the mile, the cough just went away.  Pace: 8:31.

Mile 4 - As soon as I passed the Mile 3 marker, I saw the uphill and I was dang, who puts a hill at the end of a race?  But I tackled it and pushed on until the end.  Then I noticed that there was no downhill, only another uphill coming up, bah!!!!!!  Pace: 8:46.

Mile 5 - This mile starts uphill and continues uphill until 4.85.  At this point, I see the last turn and the finish.  I know my Garmin is pacing long but I know I'm close enough to finish and way ahead of a PR.  Pace: 8:53.

Finish time: 42:46.

I checked the results and got 4th in my AG and 53th overall.  I think that is the highest I've ranked in the OA results for any race here, as our races are typically large.

Overall, this was a success.  First, this was a PR without any asthma medication, no taper, and no speedwork training.  For me it's more important to have run strong and asthma free than to PR.  That I accomplished both is a miracle I'm going to enjoy for a while.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Muddling through

Yea, Damaris! Great strides in the right direction, not to mention a PR on top of it.

2014 Goals: Run first trail ultra, first 100K, and see what I can do in a 24-Hour race

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Awesome!!  What a great day all around!!  Congrats Smile

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

tracilynn

On shin transplant list

Great job on a great race.  Dang you are getting fast!  

~~~~~~~

Traci

Anomalous

Awesome, D! Congratulations on the AG placement and sans Albuterol success!

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

kitteh

I know you said that last PR was soft, but still this is a huge improvement! Great job!

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

Nice work D, a PR and no inhaler needed.  Sounds like everything came together for you today. 

Damaris, congrats on the PR. I know this has made you extremely happy, not so much the PR, but the overall outcome with the asthma.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Great job, D! Congrats!

Congratulations, Damaris!

Catleesi; mother of cats

Glad to hear it was a success! Congrats!

I pick things up and put them down, and when I'm not broken I run.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Dang Damaris!  That sounds like a monumental occasion in your life as a runner.  Absolutely amazing.  I'm very happy for you. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

St. Jude's Hero Profile

happylily

Very happy for you! Congratulations on a great race!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

3 years, 13 marathons, 13 BQs     

Lori W

MM#5991

Congratulations on your new PR

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Great job Damaris! So happy you were able to run inhaler and asthma attack free!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to