Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday Penguins, get over it! (Read 17 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

6 done on the treadmill this morning due to rain for Humpday.

Brilliant

Good morning penguins!

Thanks for starting us off, PAD.

Scotty, my guys are super helpful! But they have school and work. i just have hobby jobs which is why the cooking falls on me. Smile

I feel better today, finally no headache.  Rest day for me, although I have after-school program today. Hope the kids don't want to play tag.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH got up with Chewbacca around 4:00, so when I got up to take my shower at 6:00, he went back to bed.  I was just standing there watching, as he, Dusty, Chewbacca, and Kaycee all swarmed into the bedroom, took up their respective places, and went back to sleep.  I still think I should've gotten a couple of buckets of cold water and started slinging!!  Quartet rehearsal tonight, and my allergies are taking over.  Two more rehearsals before contest!!

PAD -- Sorry about the rain, but woo-hoo for your 6 done!!

Brilliant -- Glad you're feeling better, and enjoy the RD!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all :-)

I think today I'll head out there for some super easy miles - maybe 2 or 3 of them.  I'm feeling generally better but both of my major injuries have happened pretty soon after running HMs so I just want to ease back into my running.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

My marathon cycle has been crap. I have yet to find a groove because of injury, heat, worst year ever at work, and something else which I have not shared. My mom was going in for a pre-op check up for hip replacement surgery and they found two spots in one of her lungs. Today she is going for a biopsy because it could be cancer. Sorry to be a downer, but that's what has been going on. Hopefully, it's nothing. Now my frickin' knee hurts. When it rains it pours.  I will still try to get some miles in today.

See ya.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Penguin Hump Day!

March 18 holidays:

Awkward Moments Day

OOPS!! 

Kick Butts Day

photo Penguin kick butt_zpswzoisv5x.jpg

National Agriculture Day

"Yeah, mon....agriculture is great!"

Goddess of Fertility Day (Aphrodite/Venus in particular, the most familiar ancient goddess whom people prayed to when they wanted to start a family)

Image result for venus penguins

National Oatmeal Cookie Day - Yeah, baby..my very favorite cookie!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yep, that's about right, sun and rain.  Apparently Mother Nature can't make up her freakin' mind when it comes to San Antonio weather.  Rained all last night, rained this morning, now the sun is trying to break through and there are blue skies and no rain, but apparently the rain will come back by the time I get off work.  So just might have a bit of a soggy-rain-run/walk.  Still okay because at least it's a nice warm rain...temp going up to 74 degree today.  Plan on 3 - 4 easy miles at a local park.    The BAD thing about rainy days here is San Antonio has notoriously bad drivers in bad weather....there was a 5-car crash this morning that pretty much shut down one of our local highways for quite a while.  When it rains here, I usually just take the back less-used roads to avoid all those highway idiots and then just take my freakin' time getting anywhere.

What, PAD, you did not go out and enjoy a warm rain run?    Hope you did not have any thunder and lightning and flooding up there.

Glad you're feeling better, Brilliant!  Enjoy the after-school program.

Sorry about the allergies acting up, HsM.  Wait, water...no...don't mess the bed up....let them settle in, get all relaxed.....and then get one of those air-horns...

So sorry, Jack, sounds like you've had a time of it!  It has to get better, right?  Stay strong!   Sorry to hear the news about your mother and hoping for the best possible outcome for her!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Oatmeal cookie day - I could enjoy that one.

PAD - good treadmill run.  I saw the rain over Texas on the weather map.  It's supposed to be 'wintery mix' when it arrives here.

Brilliant - I'm glad the headache is gone.  Hope the stomach feels better too.

sapf - definitely keep it easy for a bit, though your level of fitness is probably better right now, so you should recover pretty quickly.

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal.  I hope the allergies and lack of sleep don't interfere.

Jack - this has been a hard year for you, but you've stayed strong.  Be grateful that they caught your mom's cancer early.  My dad had lung cancer.  They removed half a lung, but 10 years later he's still going strong.  Given where you live, your mom could have Valley Fever, which isn't quite as scary.  Good luck on your miles.  Keep it slow and easy.

Hi Scotty.  I hope the rain holds off for you.

I have 10 miles later when it warms up.  A cold front blew through last night, with fierce winds.  It should get up into the low 40s later.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hoping the best for your Mom, Jack.

From the Internet.

Hope the biopsy shows that it's nothing Jack, thinking good thoughts for your mom and your family.

Planned to run 4 miles but it turned into 5 - legs were feeling good and I'm massively stressed out today so I needed the extra mile.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 tonight.

Jack, hope your mom's diagnosis is benign.

Hiya, PAD, Hope, Brilliant, sapf, scotty, Ginny, and Jerry.

May your butt not be kicked by a penguin!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Jack, I'm sorry for your mom's troubling news. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

hopesmom, I'm almost afraid to ask who Dusty, Chewbacca and Kaycee are...and why they are in your bed!  (one of them must be your avatar)

Jill, enjoy the easy miles.

Ginny, yep, stomach mostly better too.  Have a nice brisk 10 miles!

Scotty, I wish you could send some rain our way. 4th year of serious drought in CA.

tracilynn

Brad, so sorry to hear about your mom and all the other stuff going on. I hope it's not cancer  please keep us posted.

Hello to Pad, brill, lauren, hopes, scotty, sapf, docket

Im trying to get motivated to go do 5x1000s at 5k pace  it's not looking good. Ugh. I just don't wanna today.  My next HM is only 2.5 weeks away and it's hilly and difficult.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

What type of run should I do after a RD?  Short, Long, easy, hard, another RD?