Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins are enjoying some sunshine (Read 18 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

so, two daily threads but no Penguin thread.  I thought I'd add to the confusion.

Congratulations to yesterday's racers.  Mitch - I loved the photo of the medal and JD bottle.  Nice!

Heading out shortly for a long run in the sun.  Still cool (42) so my shorts are a bit questionable, but it's supposed to get up to almost 60 and as slow as I run, I'll probably still be out there when it warms up.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Did 10 last night with hubby and 11 today.  I'm tired.  Haha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Morning everyone!

Ginny-- yeah, 42* is much too cold for shorts for my tastes.  But at least you're going to get some warmer weather today.  Hope your run has gone well!

Docket-- Wow, you're really putting in the miles again.  Its so nice to know you're doing well.

Yesterday's race volunteering was such a blast.  It was the first time the trails had been opened up to the public.  After the race, some of us volunteers, decided to see the trails on this rare occasion.  Although I'd brought running clothes, I chose to walk them with some of the other people.  Was such a good time.  Today, I opened up redrum's RR and saw that pic of pancakes...made me hungry, so I whipped some up for DH and me.  Yum!  I taking another RD just in case, better safe than sorry.

Hope everyone is doing fantastic!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Great job yesterday, Robert and Jack & DW!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Finally, a rest day, at least from running. It's day two off DD's swim meet so we're off to that. We are taking two cars because I have an early drum gig so I have to leave a bit early. Yesterday's 5k was great fun. Redrum is a great guy and we hope to do some more races together in the future. When I have some time I will try to get a RR but Redrum's pretty much summed it up.

Hog: Great pics on FB. That bottle is amazing!

Ginny: Enjoy the run. 42 is about perfect for that.

D: You are an animal are not allowed to get tired!

She Can: I bet you were a great volunteer with all your encouragement you dole out.

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone.

From the Internet.

Afternoon pens! All the hip awareness/glute activation stuff I posted about a few days ago seems to be working - definitely don't feel like I ran 10 miles yesterday. A little tired, but I'm not feeling tight or sore in my calves the way I usually do post-long run and the shins seem to be fine too. Hooray! Big grin Should be able to easily hit 25 miles this week if my runs all continue going like this.

Zelanie

Morning!  Yesterday's robotics tournament went well but took longer than expected, so instead of running I came home and slept for a million hours.  I must have needed it!  The team did well.  They got into the final match and qualified to go to the district tournament next week.

Today I have my last pre-race LR- 10 miles.

GinnyinPA

Damaris - good job on the two MLRs back to back.

Cherie - I'm glad your volunteer stint went well.  How long is the course?  I've visited the Dragoon Mtns a couple of times (got very lost there once) but never visited the town.  Jim made us pancakes yesterday with blueberries, banana and applesauce.  Yumm.

Jack - you did really well at yesterday's race.  You are so fast!  I hope the swim meet went well.  Have fun playing music tonight.

Lauren - I'm so glad you've found a way to fix some of your issues.  No shin pain -- hurray.  I thought about you this morning, because what you said about the pelvic tilt is something I need to work on too.  Did it when I remembered this morning and it seemed to help.

Melanie - congratulations to your daughter's team.  Hope you have a good long run this afternoon.

My long run went really well.  Only weirdness was getting stopped by a cop, who asked if I'd seen a car parked in the quiet empty cul de sac in one neighborhood I was just leaving. They build the road but so far haven't built any houses, so it is very quiet and very hidden.  Only a few dog walkers even know it exists.  Seems the heroin dealers like the privacy as much as I do.  Oh well. Fortunately, nobody was there when I ran in and out.  It was such a beautiful day I followed the run by an hour in the garden, doing some necessary clean up.

Zelanie

Back from my 10.  It was a really nice run on a pretty nice day, good for daydreaming about marathon plans and such.  I've definitely settled on the Kinvaras instead of the Virratas for my half.  I like them both, but the firmness of the Kinvara just feels like a bit more support for the race.

Ginny- The cop must know that the runners are the ones who really see everything that's going on in the neighborhood!  Glad you didn't see anything too weird, though!

D- Nice back-to-back runs!

Cherie- Sounds like a really good  time!

Jack- Glad you had such a good race and FE!  I have to ask, is your DW giving any thought to trying to BQ her marathon?  If she's my age, that would be a 3:45, yes?  It seems like she might be in the ballpark at least.

Lauren- So glad that your training is going well for you!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Home from conference. Skipped morning sessions today to run a 10 mile race as my final long run before my half in Hawaii next week! It was hilly but I felt great! Ran about my usual LR pace, a tad faster I guess and actually PRed with 1:56:24 unofficial. However, my only 2 10 mile races have both been run as training runs not races so it really isn't a huge deal. The important thing is I actually feel ready for this half next weekend! Training hasn't been ideal with my foot and then a few really low mileage weeks due to getting sick, but if I feel as good next Sunday as I did today it should be good!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I made it home!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

Kristin - congratulations on the PR, even if you didn't run it all out.

Awood - so how was the race?  How is your back?

Docket_Rocket

I made it home!

I guess that's a good thing? 

Did 11.09 bike miles with hubby.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page