Beginners and Beyond

Shamrock 2013 (Read 535 times)

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Bump. Just got our hotel for Friday and Saturday nights. It looks like the pickings are getting slim already, at least if you want anything within walking distance of the start/finish. It looks like we're about 15 blocks away.

Angela 

Dreamn

I'm running the half as well.  Staying at the Wyndham.  It's a mile away but they offer shuttle to and from the start/finish, breakfast and late check out and the rate wasn't bad either.

Mostly harmless

Hello.  I don't know most (all) of you folks.  I'm a transplanted RWOLer that is really loving the change to RA.

I ran Shamrock last year, my first full, and I'm training to run it again.  If you haven't run this race before, it's a great flat course with lots of crowd support and lots of cool bling.  I'm really looking forward to running it again if I can stay healthy.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Jess runs for bacon

Hi NotScott! I'm really excited that I chose this as my first marathon, seems like a good choice. Not going to lie, I love the bling.

slowrunningjulie

For those of you on Daily Mile, someone has created a challenge on that site for people training for Shamrock.  Smile

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

slowrunningjulie

Just booked my flight! How is training going for everyone? I ran 14 miles yesterday and have a half marathon this weekend.

Upcoming:

Jess runs for bacon

Not great Sad I'm glad I signed up for the half first, I may not be able to do the full. Still holding out hope though. My friend is coming with me now and she's doing the 8k (her first). Should be a fun weekend, at least!

Mostly harmless

My training is going well for this race. So far I've hit all my long runs at what I hope to be MP +:30.  Ran my first 20 miler last weekend and didn't feel like death afterward so that has inspired a bit of confidence.  How is training going for everyone else?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Trail Monster

DH and I are running the full. We're staying with friends who are running the half.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

slowrunningjulie

My training is going well for this race. So far I've hit all my long runs at what I hope to be MP +:30.  Ran my first 20 miler last weekend and didn't feel like death afterward so that has inspired a bit of confidence.  How is training going for everyone else?

Wow, you have already done a 20 miler? How many do you plan to do? I have a 30K on January 28 that I am planning to run as a supported training run and then am planning one 19 miler and one 20 miler.

Upcoming:

Mostly harmless

Wow, you have already done a 20 miler? How many do you plan to do? I have a 30K on January 28 that I am planning to run as a supported training run and then am planning one 19 miler and one 20 miler.

I'm using the Pfitz 18/55 plan which has 3 20 mile runs. I'm thinking about stretching the 2nd one to 22 miles mostly for the psychological benefit than anything else.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Is this course really windy/ thinking of making this my 2014 BQ attempt.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Mostly harmless

I've only run it once and wind wasn't an issue but I've heard that it has been in the past.

I'm also doing the full.  I'm staying at the Holiday Inn VA Beach - Oceanside (21st St.).  My DD is doing the half. (She didn't want to have to do the long runs in the winter for a full marathon.  Wimp.)  Many of her girlfriends are doing the full.  They are all doing the Mont Tremblant Ironman together and the Shamrock is the last marathon they can do before their Ironman training cycle starts up.

Looks like the Holiday Inn is about 0.8 miles from the Start and 0.9 miles from the Expo.  It is like a big "L" with the hotel at the vertex.  Haven't made up my mind whether or not to rent a car.  I'll be arriving 9:08 Friday morning, and my flight leaves at 5:20 PM Sunday.

Trail Monster

I did 18 this past weekend. If its your first marathon then no worries about not having 20's on the schedule yet. This is number 6 for me so I'm just building on my fitness from 2012's marathons. I'm sure that's the story for most people who are doing the longer runs already.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop