Beginners and Beyond

Used Garmin? (Read 83 times)

slowrunningjulie

I am in the market for a Garmin, but have never owned one before. I found this ad on Craigslist:

Like New Garmin 405 - $100

<section>

<section>Used once and have no need for the watch. Still in the box.</section> <section> <section> <section> <section>Would you consider buying this watch, and if so, what questions would you ask the seller before buying? What should I be on the lookout for? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!</section></section>

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

slowrunningjulie

Sorry the formatting is all messed up on the post. I cut and pasted the ad and obviously got some junk in there.

Upcoming:

Dad on the run.

I have a 410 for sale if interested.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

slowrunningjulie

How much? What is the difference between a 405 and a 410?

Upcoming:

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

1. Why are they selling it. (upgrade? or?)

2. How old is it and how often was it used. (2-3 times a week or 2+ times a day) battery life question.

3. Whats the battery life like?  (review the reports on how much battery life it should have dcrainmaker.com )

Personally, unless you need all the features of the 405 I would consider getting a FR10 (~ $130) or for more features the FR220 (~$250).

Also, many people do not like the touch bezel of the 405.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

slowrunningjulie

Thanks. I considered the 10, but it looks like the battery life in GPS mode is 4-5 hours, and that won't be long enough for me. The 405 has an 8 hour battery life in training mode.

Upcoming:

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Be careful, if battery life is what you are after.  The 405 came out in 2008 and even if the watch was rarely used, it could very well have a seriously gimped battery life.  In which case...

Love the Half

It's got to be longer than 4-5 hours for the 410.  I have used it for a couple of marathons and don't think it was more than about half discharged.  Could be wrong though.  I also think the 405 had something seriously wrong with the bezel which is why Garmin fairly quickly produced the 410.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

slowrunningjulie

It's got to be longer than 4-5 hours for the 410.  I have used it for a couple of marathons and don't think it was more than about half discharged.  Could be wrong though.  I also think the 405 had something seriously wrong with the bezel which is why Garmin fairly quickly produced the 410.

10 hours in training mode for the 410. I have never used a Garmin before - what do you mean that there was something wrong with the bezel? I am graduating from a $ 10 Timex Ironman that I literally wore until it fell off, so I am new to the world of GPS watches.

Upcoming:

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Check out dcrainmaker.com site about the product reviews.  He discusses the bezel in detail and its issues.

The 405 and 410 both have touch sensitive bezels, from what I have read they sometimes can be activated unintentionally. (the 405 especially)

BTW: I am new to the garmin family as well having had a $30 timex non-gps. But I am a researcher by nature so I typically really dig into the details prior to purchasing.

After much deliberation, I went for the 620,  Christmas present w multiple folks chipping in.

slowrunningjulie

Check out dcrainmaker.com site about the product reviews.  He discusses the bezel in detail and its issues.

The 405 and 410 both have touch sensitive bezels, from what I have read they sometimes can be activated unintentionally. (the 405 especially)

BTW: I am new to the garmin family as well having had a $30 timex non-gps. But I am a researcher by nature so I typically really dig into the details prior to purchasing.

After much deliberation, I went for the 620,  Christmas present w multiple folks chipping in.

I checked out the website. Thank you. It does have a lot of good information on there. Let's say that I decide to buy this watch - I am assuming that the seller decided that he wanted to be a runner, stocked up on gear and then lost steam and the Garmin has been sitting unused in its box ever since. How long is too long for it to have been sitting around unused before the battery life begins to be affected?

Upcoming:

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

*shrug*

Its a shot in the dark,  might be fine, might not.  Is it worth $100 to take the chance?

Garmin has an out of warranty repair service:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

$79 + shipping I would assume.

So potentially, that could cost you $179+ shipping for a 5 year old GPS.

slowrunningjulie

Its a shot in the dark,  might be fine, might not.  Is it worth $100 to take the chance?

That is the question I am hoping to answer with this thread.

Upcoming:

Docket_Rocket

Thanks. I considered the 10, but it looks like the battery life in GPS mode is 4-5 hours, and that won't be long enough for me. The 405 has an 8 hour battery life in training mode.

I had both the 410 and the 405 and the 410 battery lasts longer.  And if it is not the 405CX I would not buy it as the CX was an improvement from the 405 and I would say a better watch (Even longer battery).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page