Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 33 Combat Medic 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.   J

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2033%20Combat%20Medic%205K

BEFORE MY START

My 33rd race of 2018 was Combat Medic 5K held on May 5 at Joint Base Fort Sam Houston, hosted by the Army Medical Department (AMEDD) and the school there that trains the combat medics.     This event was open to the public so, between the military folks, both active and retired, guard reserve, etc., and the public, there was quite a nice turn-out.  After a drenching day of rain on the day before, race day turned out really nice with blue skies, sunshine, temp of 64 degrees for the 8 a.m. start time, with a bit of a wind and the humidity was not too bad. A very light wind blowing helped things too.  I arrived at race locale about 7 a.m. and wandered around getting a few pre-start photos.

The start/finish area before it got really crowded

Our Race Director (left) with our MC pre-race.  Thank you both!  Great job.

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc

Here I am with some of the volunteers.

Short power-nap for him before the run.

I don't know these guys, they just latched onto me.      With friend "Doc" on the left, retired Army who was - and probably always will be - a combat medic, and his friend - dang, his name went right out of my head, sorry.

With my 'sister from another Mister', Karen

These folks have on the really nice tech-tee race shirts participants got

With my friend Don - very speedy guy.  Told me today he was dealing with a bit of a knew issue so I would probably finish before him.  Yeah, right Don.

ON THE COURSE

We got lined up in the chute for the start. LOTS of trainees doing this one. I was pretty much surrounded by a lot of them.  At my pace I knew that after we got started I would never see the majority of these speedy folks again until after the race, so had a pleasant few minutes before the start enjoying chatting with them.   A countdown from our MC and then we were off.  The course was a kind-of loop course, very flat, as we pretty much ran on the installation roads that went around the parade field. We started close to the Harry Wurzbach gate area; down Stanley Street in the direction of the post office; made a turn onto New Braunfels Avenue; right turn onto Dickson street; then went up Dickson to an entrance of the ‘old BAMC” parking lot, loopee through the lot, then out the other side of the lot and back onto the road, passing by the Combat Medic Museum that is on the post.   That museum actually has a stationary display of a military vehicle, one which I actually ran into one day on a training run, lol, as I was looking elsewhere as I ran.  Can you say…klutz....duhhhh..

Looking ahead of me, and then behind me, as we wait for the start

And we are off! Very bright sunshine in places and shadowy in others.

Music on the course...nice

Hmmm....well, these must be the 'dark ops' runners...  

Those formation folks are speedy...they left me in the dust during my photo breaks

Past the museum, just a short burst to the finish line.  However, near the end I was running by the side of one of the formation-run people and as we approached the finish line, they all turned left – so I turned left too, going right along with them, lol, like a little doggie following along.   One of the finish line course marshals saw me turning and yelled, “Sir, no, no!  You go straight!  Only the formations are turning!” Oh, okay; so quick swerve, then down to the finish line, and ended up with 33:06 finish time. My age group for this event was – go figure – 60 to 99 or “60 plus” as someone told me, so I knew I had not even come close to placing; there are some speedy old farts in my age group, lol.  My friend Don actually placed 3rd.   So much for that sprained knee, Don, lol.

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, walked around a bit to cool down, then found a nice shady spot for a bit and just sat relaxing, sipping my water. Then up-and-about getting some after-photos of the “happy finishers”, supporters, etc.

Awards ceremony was held over by the Review area adjacent to the parade field

With her 'combat medic' finisher medal

My friend, Karen, in the shade, 'leading' the troops, lol

Two age-place winners in my 60+ division.  Yeah, Don, sprained knee, right.  lol.

First place in her division.  Nice trophy.

EPILOGUE

Very nicely done event.  The only thing that surprised me was that right before we started, there was no National Anthem.  What?  We’re a military “family’ – the majority of us there, brothers-and-sisters in uniform, and no National Anthem?  Surprising.  That is the only thing I would suggest for this race in the future.  Other than that, I thought it was a really nicely organized event with a really good course, and very nicely done race tech-tee shirts. The medals were really nicely done too, finishers medals for everyone, with the medal being the figure of a combat medic.  The other nice thing – especially for an old guy like me, lol – is that if my klutzy-self had fallen down or tripped or whatever, well hey, you get immediate medical attention at this one, all those medics around you!  I would definitely do this one again and would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for we participants:  all the base personnel involved; all the sponsors – I believe USAA was the primary sponsor – and all the volunteers out there for us in whatever capacity; our MC who did a great job; and for the patience of all the families over in the housing area as we pretty much blocked one of their main roads for a bit during the event; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Without all you do, no race for we participants, so thank you very much.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Aw, a bull terrrier. Looks like he/she is ready to run.

Looks like a nice race. We get a number of police cadet groups running races--they do the same thing, they split off and don't cross the finish.