Beginners and Beyond

Multi vitamin question (Read 90 times)

Robert31320

Team TJ

This is for those of you that regularly take multi vitamins.

i take a daily vitamin daily because, quite frankly, I still don't eat exactly as I should.  Are there any brands that you find you just can't take?  I usually take Centrum with no issues.  Last weekend I bought a bottle of One a Day ~ Energy.  I took the first on of them this morning and after about 5 minutes I was slightly nauseated.  Have any of you ever experienced this?

Running for TJ because he can't.

robinde

I've had the same experience with the One A Day Energy.  Not just slightly nauseated, but throwing up.  It took a couple of days for me to figure out it was the vitamin.  I take a supplement from Herbal Life now.  Someone who used their shakes gave me a bottle to try.  No problems at all.  They are a pain because I have to take them three times a day.  I often forget the mid day dose.

LRB

I have been taking multi's for years and never had that happen.

I started out with pharmaceutical type multi's, but have been taking whole food multi's the past couple years.

Hip Redux

I have - there are certain types of iron that I cannot tolerate, and gives me an upset stomach.

I didn't think "men's" versions typically have iron though... so it could be something different that is bothering you.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I threw up from One-a-Day, I think it was the athlete-geared one (they might be named differently now because this was in 2004).  I had to actually pull the car over.  I read that it could be from too much iron all at once.  I have also gotten a TERRIBLE "Niacin Flush" at times wherein my entire head tingles, and I get what looks like (and feels like) the world's absolute worst sunburn.  I actually turn purple.  I think I am very sensitive to these things, I wish they made them in watered-down doses.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I bought this huge bottle of Kirkland multivitamins from Costco, but then I read that "mature" vitamins should be taken by Seniors because of the Iron and blood issues.  Doctor said okay to finish the bottle, but go with the senior vitamins in the futue.

Hip Redux

Robert31320

Team TJ

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the iron content.  I already take a seperate iron supplement....wait, maybe the combination of the two is too much.

Running for TJ because he can't.

alexis_run_nky

I take the one a day women's active mind and body and I have to take it with food.  If I take even 5-10 mins before I eat, I feel very sick to my stomach for about 15 mins and then it goes away

Love the Half

I just take the Wally World generic stuff that's next to the Centrum on the shelf but at a third of the price.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I take Solgar V2000 with no trouble. I also take it with food.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I was recently diagnosed as anemic and started heavy iron and B12 supplementation.  It made me nauseous and dizzy for weeks, but eventually my body adjusted to it.  I would stick with what you know works, or if you want to switch, give your body time to get used to the new pills.

Running is dumb.

Any MV for me makes me a little nauseous, even with food.  I've tried taking them at night before bed now and it helps. Just getting back into taking them.  I juat read Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible, I leaended a lot about vitamins and nutrients in general.  I'm convinced They really do help.  However, when I take them, I always gain weight, about 5lbs.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

MrNamtor

I just take the Wally World generic stuff that's next to the Centrum on the shelf but at a third of the price.

Yeah and you're probably going to die like 10 years sooner than everyone else, cheapskate.

Love the Half

Yeah and you're probably going to die like 10 years sooner than everyone else, cheapskate.

Not before I get chafed from my cheap Wally World socks, Target shirts and National Running Center clearance gear.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).