Beginners and Beyond

2017 Race #64 for the year - Head For The Cure 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2064%20Head%20For%20The%20Cure%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them. And for a few, when I asked someone to take a photo for me, I forgot to tell him/her how to focus the camera, duhhh..   All in all though, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

Head For The Cure 5K was my 64th race of 2017. Held on Sep 23, this event began 4 years ago, started by local TV Station (ABC Affiliate) KSAT-13 after their news director died of brain cancer.  So this event raises money for brain cancer research.  I'm on a 'streak" with this one and have done every one of the races since it started.  Race start time of 8 a.m.  I arrived onsite around 6:15 and began taking some before photos of various volunteers, participants, supporters, etc.

Welcome to Providence High School. Thank you for the use of your grounds.

Head For The Cure organization is onsite.

These volunteers were here QUITE early.

Getting the music set up to keep us entertained...thanks guys!

Me and pal, Bernadette, who also got to the event early to do her usual warmup run before the actual race.  Wore gray today to honor brain cancer folks, as gray is the brain cancer color

And various...    

Executive Director of local Head For The Cure

With my Munchkin, Karen

She told me to be serious for once in a photo...okay...

With friend Terry, another survivor

This doggie loooooved me...cuz, yes, I had doggie biscuits.

Making all my old-men friends jealous...   

KSAT-13 Steve Spriester doing the MC duties.  He also ran the 5K.

Super heroes in the house!

Play on!

One of these things is not like the other... 

Getting ready to go...there were about 1200 entrants, runners and walkers

One of KSAT's weather guy, Justin, getting in a quick nap before the start...I wish I had that talent, lol.

ON THE COURSE

In the past, this course has been 2 laps, starting on the grounds of Providence High School, then onto the street and going twice around local roads.  This year the course was an out-and-back.  I liked it better in that I could enjoy seeing people coming back toward me as I headed to the turn-round point and cheer on friends who were ahead of me; however, with the out-and-back, the turn to get to the finish was a pretty sharp right so you had to slow down a tad at that point.  No big deal for me at my pace, but for the people actually RACING the course, every second probably counts for them. After I finished, I was chatting with the RD, who is a friend of mine, and he told me they were going to change the course a tad next year to fix that; so the competitive runners will be happy about that, I'm sure.

Wow, this lady can nap on the run...

Yay, here comes my ride! 

The Leader heading for the finish

I am still heading to the turn-round, more people coming toward me now

Made the turn-round myself now;  looking back and forward, while on my last walk break

Walk break over!  Ran it in for about the last 1.2 miles, ended up with chip time of 32:18.

AFTER THE FINISH

Got some water, did a cool-down walk, sat for a bit after that...and then it was off to get some after photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

T-Rex cheering everyone in...just with roars, since he/she can't applaud...

Blessings and prayers for this person fighting this insidious disease

Got him awake this time!  

Like birds flying south who rest on a wire, runners and walkers post-race often gather in a line at one place to rest up a bit....  I'm with them, after this photo I sat there for a while too, lol.

My protector, lol.  Wonder Womannnn!

EPILOGUE

Love this event, especially after, lol.  There are vendors everywhere, with all kinds of goodies that included donuts, protein and snack bars, various types of chips, sausage wraps, iced cold water and some various drink types - no beer though, bummer, I enjoy a cold beer post-race  - and a whole lot of stuff, so much I can't remember it all - had some local entertainment with some very good dancers, gave away a couple of special awards to "people that inspired" in the cause of brain cancer, everyone got a finisher medal, and some nice medals for the top 3 in each age group - which was not me in my age group, lol, there are some speedy old guys in my group.  Most definitely will continue to do this one.

Much thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us:  Head For The Cure organization, KSAT-13 and all its great folks, all the volunteers - some of whom had to be out there super early - local Boy Scout troop for the flag raising, high school choir that sang the National Anthem, law enforcement folks at the intersections, all the sponsors, vendors, people who did the course setup, timing, and results, and everyone else involved. Without all of you doing what you do, no race for we participants; so thank you very much!

Time for a nap now, lol.  I have yet another 5K to do on the morning of Sep 24th.  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt