Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES (Read 29 times)

LRB

Yo.

Rest day for me. Busy day ahead at work though. Busy is good?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me too.

Got in 20+ miles last week.  Normally I do about 15 - 18 miles a week with this stupid arthritis.  So I am doing well.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

bluerun

Super B****

Busy?  No, I'd rather sleep, thanks.

25 trainer miles, somehow climbing tonight even though I'm exhausted (see: I'd rather sleep).

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

Hello, friends!  You know you did the weekend correctly when you come into work Monday morning feeling tired and beat to hell.  Surprisingly I had little trouble dragging my carcass to the pool at 5:30 this morning for a 2200 yard swim.  Short run later.

<3

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I did 15 min on the elliptical, then 20 minutes jogging.

Yesterday, I  got on a bike for the first time in 5 years.  I test-rode a Cannondale road bike around the bike shop parking lot.  I'm still thinking on it, that bike costs more than several cars I've owned.

Have a great day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

Yo. I am on EDT right now, took the redeye last night to get here. So I am feeling really chipper right now. My usual SRD of course, but wouldn't be running anyway because (1) no time this morning due to travel, (2) 90+degrees this afternoon along with "air quality alert". FTS.

Dave

onemile

I ran 8

onemile

I test-rode a Cannondale road bike around the bike shop parking lot.  I'm still thinking on it, that bike costs more than several cars I've owned.

biking is a lot more fun on a fun bike

biking is a lot more fun on a fun bike

Sometime within the next few months, my commute is likely to get way shorter, and I am thinking about doing a bike commute. I have never done any serious cycling, and all I have is a shitty 25-year-old hybrid bike. The commute will only be 6 miles each way, so I'm sure it'll be fine. (I could run it, but no shower. Don't think I need a shower for a 6-mile bike ride.) But I have a feeling if I do end up doing it regularly, I am going to want to go bike shopping. And people here will try to encourage me to spend a shit-ton of money.

Dave

No more marathons

Trying to figure out what to do while waiting for the 5K tonight at 6:30.

Temp will be 84 with a feels like of 88.  #sigh.

I'd like to get a 4th or 5th ribbon to go with my 6th and 7th.

Maybe a nice air conditioned movie theater.  Saw My Cousin Rachael yesterday (don't bother) - maybe The Mummy (it couldn't be any worse) or Megan Leavey.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

onemile

Sometime within the next few months, my commute is likely to get way shorter, and I am thinking about doing a bike commute. I have never done any serious cycling, and all I have is a shitty 25-year-old hybrid bike. The commute will only be 6 miles each way, so I'm sure it'll be fine. (I could run it, but no shower. Don't think I need a shower for a 6-mile bike ride.) But I have a feeling if I do end up doing it regularly, I am going to want to go bike shopping. And people here will try to encourage me to spend a shit-ton of money.

For a 6 mile each way commute where you want to take it easy and arrive at work not needing a shower, I wouldn't suggest you get a fun bike that costs a shit ton of money

I have a Felt F5 road bike and it just feels racy and fast and it's fun trying to see how fast I can go.  But if I were commuting to work for a 6 mile ride, I would probably use my Trek mountain bike that cost under $500, or buy some commuter style bike. I dunno.

For a 6 mile each way commute where you want to take it easy and arrive at work not needing a shower, I wouldn't suggest you get a fun bike that costs a shit ton of money

I have a Felt F5 road bike and it just feels racy and fast and it's fun trying to see how fast I can go.  But if I were commuting to work for a 6 mile ride, I would probably use my Trek mountain bike that cost under $500, or buy some commuter style bike. I dunno.

Disappoint.

My cheapness usually wins out anyway, so I can't see getting a new bike unless (1) my old one becomes non-functional for some reason (I can't see why this would happen), (2) I decide to start riding a whole lot more (I can't see why this would happen).

Although, I have a coworker who currently bike-commutes, it's probably comparable distance, and she replaced her mountain bike with a road bike for that purpose. No idea whether it's a good/expensive road bike.

Dave

No more marathons

Disappoint.

My cheapness usually wins out anyway, so I can't see getting a new bike unless (1) my old one becomes non-functional for some reason (I can't see why this would happen), (2) I decide to start riding a whole lot more (I can't see why this would happen).

Although, I have a coworker who currently bike-commutes, it's probably comparable distance, and she replaced her mountain bike with a road bike for that purpose. No idea whether it's a good/expensive road bike.

Back in my douchy biking days, I had both a road bike and a "mountain" bike.

I would only use the road bike on days I was interested in a hard and fast workout, or for races.

Otherwise I'd use the mountain bike mainly for stability.  A little sand on the road on a turn and the road bike has the potential for a fall.

YMMV

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

Agreed.

I biked 12 miles each way to and from work for years. Even at a distance of 6 miles you will want to keep the effort nice and slow or you will break out in a major sweat once you sit down at your desk.

I would try it on your old bike first before even going to the bike shop to browse because you might find it difficult to ride for 30 minutes and arrive to work dry and remain that way.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Brought my running clothes to run 7 on the TM at work here.  Looking at a wall for 1+ hour will sure be lots of fun.

Damaris