Beginners and Beyond

Complimentary Weekend Penguins (Read 24 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!

Brilliant

March 1 is World Compliment Day!  As we tell the kids in after-school program, "Let's use words that build each other up!"  (that's actually not a problem here in the igloo, a good reason I hang out here...)

PAD and Scotty, happy racing this weekend!  I know you will both do great.  Fingers crossed that crazy Texas weather doesn't bring either of you down too much.  PAD, you will have an amazing story to tell about your debut marathon!

AFM - 11 miles planned for today. I'm officially tapering.  11 miles doesn't seem like a taper run, but I guess compared to last week's 20 it is.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Brill.  Have a good "taper". Do you weigh in after the run?

Good luck tomorrow, PAD.

3 for us when DW awakens.  Going to try a longer run tomorrow as I'm short for the week and can't let the team down.

Have a great weekend.

Brilliant

Good morning Brill.  Have a good "taper". Do you weigh in after the run?

Haha, I might weigh before and after and pick the best number.  I'm not down more than a pound, so I'm no competition!  Have a great run.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

-7F.  Last day of meteorological winter...Yay !!!

tracilynn

Brill- 11M as a taper run is funny. I remember when 4mi was a LR for me.   Enjoy the "break"

Jerry my cousin recently moved from Ponte VEdra beach Fl to Chicago and every one of her FB posts is of weather or blocks of ice on the shore or her bundled up in ridiculous amounts of coats and parkas. Ha!

I gotta make up some miles for the team today too. I mean, we are #1 and all. (Insert uppity tone)

~~~~~~~

Traci

PADRunner

March 1 is World Compliment Day!  As we tell the kids in after-school program, "Let's use words that build each other up!"  (that's actually not a problem here in the igloo, a good reason I hang out here...)

PAD and Scotty, happy racing this weekend!  I know you will both do great.  Fingers crossed that crazy Texas weather doesn't bring either of you down too much.  PAD, you will have an amazing story to tell about your debut marathon!

AFM - 11 miles planned for today. I'm officially tapering.  11 miles doesn't seem like a taper run, but I guess compared to last week's 20 it is.

Complements on a well done marathon training! And thanks

The miles seem different after you run 20.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 miles done, 5 of those with hubby.  We are going out to watch Seinfeld at a stand up tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

I hope PAD and Scotty manage to have dry races this weekend.  Best of luck to both.

Brilliant - 11 for a long run is a good taper distance.  Have fun with it.

Jerry - as cold as it is, will you be running the inside track? Good luck with the walkers.

Traci - have a good long run today.

D - good job on the seven.  Have fun at the comedy show tonight.

AFM:  I'm supposed to do 9 today, 19 tomorrow.  It's cold today (currently 21), but sunny, so I'll probably get outside when it warms up a little more.  Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer (up to 35) but with a wintery mix. I'm more than a bit nervous about running for that long a distance on tired legs.  I think I'll keep PAD in mind and remind myself that it's really good training for the uncertainties of race day.  Or I may wimp out and do it on the TM, which will be good training for race day boredom.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

PT appt today so fingers crossed. Regardless what it is, I think the only cure will be rest and some(if any) easy runs. The Sadie thing worked out nicely and the girls have their dates. Does anyone have the Instagram? DD hooked me up with that awhile ago and it's ok.

Traci: have a good run in the cold and snow.

Brill: enjoy your short run. Yes, it will seem short!

Jerry: any beer or movies this weekend?

PAD: fingers crossed on the weather.

D: have fun with Jerry. "Who are these people?"

Ginny: nice miles! You have really been cranking it up!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did my 9th race of 2015 this morning.  It was a bit cold with the temp at 39 degrees and a 'feels like' of 34 at the 8 a.m. start time.   Ended up with a finish time of 32:59, averaging 10:27 per mile, even with my photo stops.  Not bad for an old arthritic dog, lol.   Report and photos to be put up sometime before the weekend is over.  Right now....lunch!  More to follow.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hi Guys!

I know I've been absent lately. Been stalking in the background, but not posting much. It's been a tough month for me and a yucky week with a stupid bug that laid me up for a few days. Snapped out of in Thursday finally. Enjoyed a nice run after work last night and feeling more like myself.

Just came in from 6 snowy miles, which I was happy to get in. Icing my knee now, and happy that the IT grind takes a little longer to kick in now that I am working on specific exercises. Yesterday's 3.5 didn't bother me at all. Today it hit at around 5 miles, but kept going.

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled for 13, but I haven't been able to run more than 7 in almost a month. I'm going to have to adjust my HM training plan and make sure I stick with PT to be on track for my mid-April HM. I think tomorrow I might take a run a mile, walk a minute attack to keep from aggravating my ITB just to get the miles on my feet. Does that sound reasonable?

Brill - Hard to imagine that 11 miles is a taper! That's amazing.

Jerry - Meteriological winter?

Traci - being part of a team sure motivates me to get my miles in, too. Are you on the "All About The Pace" team? If so, you just beat us (Goofy 2 Shoes). DRAT!!! 

PAD and Scotty - Good luck on your races! Can't wait to hear about how well you did.

PAD - Your name shows up on the winner's list ever week on 2015 in 2015. I smile every time with vicarious pleasure and think, "Hey, I know that guy!"

DR - Enjoy the show.

Ginny - Enjoy the sunshine! Can't imagine trying to hit 19 miles on the treadmill. We have an elliptical, and I just stare at the stupid, electronic track and think this is torture.

Jack - Here's hoping PT is helping.

Take care everyone!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

Hey pens,

I haven't been around much and I've run even less in the last few days. I got hit by work stress, bad work stress.

Still, I've had a chance to reflect on life, thr universe, and everything, and will probably come out better off for having gone through this. Also, it could still end up being nothing major. Who knows? Smile

DH and I went forward with our plans to go up to Portland and catch a play. Now we are getting donuts and heading to DD's robotics tournament later on. I am on my phone, so no link, but if Baconista is wanting  watch, you can probably Google up Oregon City robotics and find it.

PADRunner

Hope you get good news Jack.

Congrats on another 5k Scotty.

PAD - Your name shows up on the winner's list ever week on 2015 in 2015. I smile every time with vicarious pleasure and think, "Hey, I know that guy!"

It's just a fluke, with my marathon training the year has been front loaded. I'm sure I'll sink back in the pack as the year progresses.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Impromptu sign up for. 5k. Got a morale booster 2nd place AG award!! Rainy and cold fun run.

This is is the kind of racing I enjoy.  Spontaneous, unplanned fun.

Running for TJ because he can't.