Beginners and Beyond

My heart misses a beat every 3 beats? Well, Doc, I guess it doesn't seem to think so.... (Read 69 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

crazy day at the Fort Sam med clinic last Tuesday (Dec 1).   Go to an appointment for a numb foot and they find something wrong with my heart, go figure. When the nurse took my vitals, my pulse was 35 - apparently that's low - normal is 45 or something; I was told to walk around briskly, which I did, then they took it again; went all the way up to 37. That brought on the EKG machine altho I told them hey, it's jus cuz I'm such a mellow guy it's so low. . Apparently at odd times, my heart 'misses' a beat, per the EKG. Doc paged the Cardiology clinic to see if I needed to be admitted. Heart doc called back and me, he, and my doc chatted as the cardio guy looked at my EKG onscreen that my doc had sent him. Cardio doc said no, no emergency, since I'm still running, feeling fine, no chest pains, etc, but wants to do a cardio test - aka treadmill stress test - so told my doc to give me a referral. Naturally, being a runner, I asked the Cardio guy if I could still run, lol. He said, yes, continue as I normally do. Thank goodness. So I will soon get that stress test. All because I came in simply for a numb foot, lol - which the doc FINALLy checked at the end of the appointment, lol, and turned out to be pretty much nothing, just a bit of nerve thingy which was easily corrected. And after that, I went out and did get in a very nice 3 mile run/walk. My wife was like..only I could go in for a numb foot and end up with heart drama, lol.

Then on Wednesday night....great run/walk for me!  3.3 miles done and the last mile I ran nonstop in 10:15.

So I just keep running and and wait for them to schedule my TM stress test....heart seems to like that just fine. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

catwhoorg

Labrat

Don't schedule speedwork the day before that test....

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

delicate flower

Good luck, Scotty!  Hopefully the stress test will just confirm that you are awesome.

I kind of expected this story to end with you tripping over something or running over someone.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Sorry to here but I'm sure you'll win your AG and give us a full RR with pictures. Smile

GinnyinPA

Not a good way to spend a Thursday, but at least you got your run in.  I hope the test goes well.

I had a boss who was supposed to have simple eye surgery.  Because he was older (75) they insisted on a checkup before the surgery. One thing led to another and he ended up having a triple bypass a few days later.  He was really POed because he had no symptoms and swore he felt fine.  Sometimes you really don't know what's going on inside your body.

Zelanie

Glad you are getting it checked out.  But have you warned them about what might happen when Scottydog gets on a treadmill?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Don't schedule speedwork the day before that test....

No worries about that since I don't do any speedwork.  I am a very lackadaisical runner these days...just do my run/walk thing and take photos....although once a week, I actually do get in a hill-work route..that's about as hard as I work for the week with my running, lol.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Glad you are getting it checked out.  But have you warned them about what might happen when Scottydog gets on a treadmill?

I will probably be like one of those guys on the youtube videos, going right off the back end, lol.

Ric-G

good luck with this scotty...i have the whole 'heart skips a beat thing' too...and yes, pics from the treadmill are welcome.

marathon pr - 3:16

BexKix, Bagel Defender

Good luck, Scotty.  Glad you're getting it checked out, and glad you're still feeling your oats. Smile

workinprogress11

Best wishes to you. I hope all checks out ok.

Cyberic

I'm sure the stress test will just confirm that you are awesome.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Glad your getting this checked out, best wishes for a clear test. Don't stop moving while the treadmill is running.

From the Internet.

Sorry to here but I'm sure you'll win your AG and give us a full RR with pictures. Smile

This made me giggle.

Hope the test shows that everything's fine, Scotty! To be fair, it's good that the heart drama cropped up without any symptoms - would be a lot worse if the first indication that something was amiss was a heart attack or something!