Beginners and Beyond

Fritiniency Friday Penguins (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Fritiniency - The noise of insects.

Which is what I am hearing now around the outside of the house....crickets chirping, chirping, CHIRPING.  Guess they are now coming out with the warmer weather San Antonio has been getting.

Ran at Fort Sam Houston yesterday after work.  Did my "Dog Alley" route through the family housing area, which made me stop a lot as I gave treats to my canine pals.  Probably a good thing because it got warmer than expected.  Supposed to be a nice 83 degrees, but instead shot up to 87 degrees with the dew-point in the middle 60s.  My first high 80s run/walk since last September. I was sluggish the first mile, but then found my Texas Spring Mojo and did my remaining couple of miles pretty strongly.  Dang, I gotta get re-acclimatized again to the upcoming heat for Texas summer.

I am pretty good at guessing my distance from my pace and my finish time and I guessed I did about 3.2 mile.  I went back and drove the route I did and found out I'd actually done 3.3 miles, so  my guesstimate was pretty close, nice.

Today is a rest day and then tomorrow morning I have a 5K at San Antonio SeaWorld. The route does take us through the park, which is nice.

Zelanie....poor Zoe in her pen...hope she feels better soon and heals quickly.

Nice photos of you and Jerry, Damaris!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning Scotty.  I might win best weather tonight. 42 and sunny at 5 o'clock.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8 with strides tonight.  Another cold front here, with a high of 83F.  March has been nice.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Scotty, the run in SeaWorld sound fun.. Bring some treats for dolphine?

Awood, low temp to win? If high wins, I have 93F today

Damaris, you are coming back so strong..

8M done in the morning before work.. Working late today.. hope to wrap up in an hour time..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, the run in SeaWorld sound fun.. Bring some treats for dolphine?

Awood, low temp to win? If high wins, I have 93F today

Damaris, you are coming back so slow strong..

8M done in the morning before work.. Working late today.. hope to wrap up in an hour time..

FYP.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning!

I kind of like listening to fritiniency.

Rain today, but high temps in the mid 50's so as long as it's not a torrential downpour I should be able to get out to run 5-6 miles.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the next 16 months will be a period of maintenance / not losing too much in regards to my running.  I"m not going to beat myself up about not training consistently for races or getting my weekly mileage back up to where it was last Autumn.  The new commute is affecting my quality of life, I have less time to do what I want so I'll do what I can to stay in shape until I can make a change.  I'm eligible for early retirement in the middle of next year so if things aren't better by then I'll say goodbye to the paycheck and retire with DH.

Bin Running

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Good morning!

I kind of like listening to fritiniency.

Rain today, but high temps in the mid 50's so as long as it's not a torrential downpour I should be able to get out to run 5-6 miles.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the next 16 months will be a period of maintenance / not losing too much in regards to my running.  I"m not going to beat myself up about not training consistently for races or getting my weekly mileage back up to where it was last Autumn.  The new commute is affecting my quality of life, I have less time to do what I want so I'll do what I can to stay in shape until I can make a change.  I'm eligible for early retirement in the middle of next year so if things aren't better by then I'll say goodbye to the paycheck and retire with DH.

You look too young to retire..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! Rehearsal last night went pretty well, which is a good thing since we've only got one more before competition!! But I think we'll have a good time and the audience will be laughing, so all is well. My knee didn't really appreciate the 1.3 mile hustle and then chorus rehearsal, so I don't know if I'll get in a walk today or not. I did roll my calves last night after rehearsal, which I think helped. And I got a notice from Amazon that as a Kindle book purchaser, I was entitled to a refund of $7.xx for some lawsuit that I knew nothing about. Of course I immediately used it to purchase another Kindle book, so I'm hoping for a few minutes today for illicit reading ...

Hiya, Scotty!! No insects for us yet -- we have a few daffodils here and there, but the Bradford pears aren't even out yet. Still winter in our neck of the woods, but I'm hoping spring arrives this weekend!

awood -- rain here, so you've got me beat, at least!!

Docket -- glad you've enjoyed some "cooler" weather!!

Bin -- hope you get things wrapped up and can head home soon!!

Phillie -- sometimes life requires adjustments. Just make things good for yourself as much as you can!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

You look too young to retire..

That's the benefit of using a small, flattering photo as an avatar.

I am too young to retire by most standards, but marrying a man 11+ years older than me makes it desirable (we don't want our golden years to consist of me pushing him around in a wheelchair).  We've known for years that early retirement for me was a goal, and careful financial planning will hopefully make it a possible.  The workplace move is probably just the impetus that will make me pull the plug as early as possible.

Docket_Rocket

That's the benefit of using a small, flattering photo as an avatar.

I am too young to retire by most standards, but marrying a man 11+ years older than me makes it desirable (we don't want our golden years to consist of me pushing him around in a wheelchair).  We've known for years that early retirement for me was a goal, and careful financial planning will hopefully make it a possible.  The workplace move is probably just the impetus that will make me pull the plug as early as possible.

Hope you get to enjoy retirement by traveling a lot, running and racing.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

PF: GO FOR IT!! Retire, I say! Oh man, that makes me envious.

Scotty: Enjoy your one day taper.

Awood: Is more snow on the way?

D and Jerry: Nice picture! Smile

Bin: Good job getting out there before work. I like running in the morning but I can't do it before work.

HsM: Hi.

5 miles for me. I have an early out day and I will get my miles in before anyone else gets home. I have a long run to do tomorrow, hopefully 12 or 13 miles if my Achilles lets me. We are also taking DS back to university tomorrow as his break is over. Oh yeah, THREE DAY weekend for me!  I will definitely have a few cold ones with DW.

Enjoy the weekend.

Zelanie

Morning!  The heel feels much better today, so I will run my 4 and maybe walk with DH in the downpour later.  I went to the drinking part of the social run last night (had to work a weight watchers shift during the run itself), and two of the faster guys both separately told me they hope to finish in the top 5 this year.  But the second guy told me not to tell the first guy, he doesn't want him to know he's coming.  So, there should be a good story in that at the end of the race!

Scotty- Fritiniency is what I remember about summers when I used to live in Houston.  Glad you got your spring running mojo back!  That sounds like an August running day here!  Still nothing in the mail- those covered wagons in Oregon aren't speedy!  Maybe later today.

Awood- I would trade for that weather!  We'll likely be warmer, but with winds and heavy rains.

D- Enjoy the strides!  I should do more of those.

Bin- Hope you're done with work by now.  And good job sticking to the higher goal. Smile

Margo- Sounds like a realistic assessment of where you are now.  But 16 months isn't too long to have to deal with that!  Hope you find some ways to take care of yourself in the mean time, though!

HsM- Hope the knee feels better today!

Jack- Enjoy the 3 day weekend!  I am just finishing up my 9-day weekend.  Then busy, busy until June.

SheCan

Scotty-- Yuck @ 87* on a run!  Its way too early in the year for that!  Enjoy your race tomorrow.  Sounds like a good one.

Awood-- you've earned some decent weather!  I'm glad things its getting a little nicer for you.

Docket-- Make sure you wear a coat and scarf.  83 is pretty cold if you're not used to those low temps. ;-)

Bin-- hi ya busy Daddy!  Hope you're at home reading this now, instead of working.  PhillieF is young-- she's my age!   Plus, I've seen bigger pics, and she's still gorgeous.

PF-- Sad   It stinks that you now have this long commute.  Right now it looks like you're doing the best you can considering everything.  *hugs* to you.

HsM-- rolled your calves?  On the new roller?  Yay@ almost time for the competition!  How fun.

Jack-- got my fingers crossed that your Achilles's doesn't act up.  Enjoy your long weekend!

Zelanie-- hehehe@ your running buddies.  Ugh, lets hope you have some decent Awood (shhhh, maybe Scotty and Cherie type weather ;-)  Winktype weather for your run and walk tonight.

Rest day!!!!!  Going to a Creative Writer's Conference in  a few minutes, so it should be a fun day!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson