Beginners and Beyond

Do you remember how to write? (Read 213 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Can you read cursive? Find and try to read a few old letters written in cursive by folks back in the 40's and 50's when everyone wrote letters. It's tough, I have to study some of the words to figure out what they wrote.

I wonder if they felt the same way about it when their "stylized" writing was essentially replaced by "modern day" cursive!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

cmb4314

Growing up in Michigan, we called it writing.  The term cursive while used and acknowledged, was not considered proper.  I believe printing was called manuscript, but I could be wrong on that.

Elvis Presley was still alive though when I was learning how to write, so there is that.

Having said all of that, I couldn't write a full paragraph right now if my life depended on it, and I am not even sure I could write a sentence.  I hated it in school and only did enough to get by.

For those of us who are left handed, writing in English is a contradiction, no different than standardized tests are for people who are AHDH.

We should be writing from right to left, the opposite of right handers, but no one ever thought of that and we have been left to adapt or fail.

Some left handed people turn their hands all weird, others turn their papers sideways.  Still others like myself, simply write left to right and usually smear everything they just wrote.

Printing is not much better, and I am not particularly fond of that either.

I turn my paper all funny Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

happylily

This post is making me feel very, very old.

(And yes, I do remember how to write in cursive; I use it more than print.  It's faster.)

It makes me feel sad. Like an art has been lost...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

BruceD555

I'm an engineer ... so I print in ALL CAPS (actually drop caps). If I'm in a big hurry, I'll switch to lowercase printing with just a touch of cursive thrown in where it speeds things up between letter transitions.

But to the original question ... Yes, I can still write in cursive ... but I rarely do so.

Train smart ... race smarter.

nolamama

CQTM

I can definitely still write and read cursive. My normal handwriting is a general mix of printing and cursive but cursive is so much faster, it just flows better. My MIL gave my DH some letters recently that she wrote when he was a baby. They were all in cursive. I can't believe they are starting to stop teaching these things in schools. I feel like learning the letters actually taught you how to spell. Spell check does NOT teach spelling. Sad.

sheepla

I am a big list maker and write in cursive all the time.

Dr. Cornsitter

I write in cursive when I am on the phone. I doodle by writing whatever the person is saying on the phone in cursive. So when I hang up the phone, I have a page full of random words and half-formed sentences. Weird, I know.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

My mom gave me a box of a bunch of old stuff from my school days. There was one gem…an essay I wrote for 8th grade social science class: “Increasing the Minimum Wage: Good for Few, Harmful for Many” (what can I say, it was 1988 and Alex P. Keaton was my hero). Anyway, 21 single spaced hand written pages in cursive, complete with quotes, citations, footnotes, bibliography – all in blue pen. Must have taken me forever. I can’t imagine writing a paper like that now – not being able to cut and paste, move paragraphs around, change a sentence you don’t like. I remember we had to do drafts of papers, which means for a long one like that…yikes.

Anyway, just wrote a few cursive lines in my notebook to try it out again. Like riding a bike...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm an oddball I guess because I write in cursive all the time. I have to write 18-20 session notes per day at work (what I did in my occupational therapy sessions with each child I work with) and while we are moving to computerized session notes within the next few months,  I have been hand writing them for several years. My cursive is quicker and easier to read than my print.

Part of my job as a school based occupational therapist is to help the kids I work with learn handwriting. So I also teach kids both print and cursive. My profession is lamenting the demise of handwriting because there are so many foundational skills that are a part of handwriting that kids today are becoming more delayed in due to computerizing everything....such as fine motor skills, hand strength, grasping, isolating the radial side of the hand, grading force, visual perception, visual motor integration, spatial awareness.....sigh.... anyway.... lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

I'm an oddball I guess because I write in cursive all the time. I have to write 18-20 session notes per day at work (what I did in my occupational therapy sessions with each child I work with) and while we are moving to computerized session notes within the next few months,  I have been hand writing them for several years. My cursive is quicker and easier to read than my print.

Part of my job as a school based occupational therapist is to help the kids I work with learn handwriting. So I also teach kids both print and cursive. My profession is lamenting the demise of handwriting because there are so many foundational skills that are a part of handwriting that kids today are becoming more delayed in due to computerizing everything....such as fine motor skills, hand strength, grasping, isolating the radial side of the hand, grading force, visual perception, visual motor integration, spatial awareness.....sigh.... anyway.... lol

Very true, Kristin.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

My 8 year old wanted to know how to sign his name recently.  I did not really know how to do a capital F.  Also, the style of cursive that they are learning is not the same style we were taught.  D'Lineal vs. Zane-Bloser??? or something like that.

Luckily he learned it during the last week of 2nd grade.  Also, he brought home his handwriting workbook!

~Andrea

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

D'Nealian vs Zaner-Bloser. Different school districts teach different styles. I hate D'Nealian, some of the kids I see for homecare OT have been taught D'Nealian and I can't stand it.

My 8 year old wanted to know how to sign his name recently.  I did not really know how to do a capital F.  Also, the style of cursive that they are learning is not the same style we were taught.  D'Lineal vs. Zane-Bloser??? or something like that.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Yup, back in the 70s I was taught D'Nealian.  I still hate all of those extraneous loops/circles.  I don't use cursive capital letters even if I do slip into cursive handwriting.

~Andrea

Dr. Cornsitter

Uhhhh....I just googled both of those and I can't really tell the difference. Am I supposed to be able to tell them apart?

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Hip Redux

Uhhhh....I just googled both of those and I can't really tell the difference. Am I supposed to be able to tell them apart?

Well this shows them side by side - still not much of a difference to me!