Beginners and Beyond

Do you remember how to write? (Read 213 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Hand written lab book entries are still the norm here, backed up by time/dated entry into a LIMS. (Lab information management system).

Typed reports though, which are now issued and archived only electronically.

(We used to have to actually sign all reports and keep the signed copy on file)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I still take pride in my penmanship.  Remember that word... penmanship?

Penmanship was my worst subject in school - Cs vs. As. I was ashamed of my cursive, and printed at every opportunity. Ironically, now everyone tells me how "beautiful" my handwriting is.

But does a signature actually have to be done in cursive? I think you need to be able to write your name so that the letters are joined in some way, but the point of a signature is that it is unique to you, not that people can necessarily read it. Yes, my signature is happily illegible, but it gets the job done.Big grin

If they had rules on signatures, 80% of folks would be in trouble. Don't join your letters if you don't want to.

Part of my job as a school based occupational therapist is to help the kids I work with learn handwriting. So I also teach kids both print and cursive. My profession is lamenting the demise of handwriting because there are so many foundational skills that are a part of handwriting that kids today are becoming more delayed in due to computerizing everything....such as fine motor skills, hand strength, grasping, isolating the radial side of the hand, grading force, visual perception, visual motor integration, spatial awareness.....sigh.... anyway.... lol

It makes your brain work differently as well. When you wrote stuff in cursive, you had to think it through in advance, because cut and paste and delete wasn't generally a good option, at least if you were trying to make something look halfway finished.

Yup, back in the 70s I was taught D'Nealian.  I still hate all of those extraneous loops/circles.  I don't use cursive capital letters even if I do slip into cursive handwriting.

I will say that I've always thought some cursive capitals were wacked, notably the F and the Q.

I can still write but will get hand cramps in a hurry.

Can you read cursive? Find and try to read a few old letters written in cursive by folks back in the 40's and 50's when everyone wrote letters. It's tough, I have to study some of the words to figure out what they wrote.

You make me realize that I may possess a valuable skill. I can read cursive, some of which was pretty illegible even back in the good old days when people used cursive. Wonder how much I'm worth?

You Rang?

We bring many cases under the FDCPA, and I love the Federal ECF system for filing and getting notice.  For our Lemon Law cases, we almost always file in state court.  Ohio has 88 counties, and the availability of electronic filing is an exception rather than the rule.  Many don't even have any form of fax filing.  Some of the counties don't even have court websites!  I like the Federal system for the uniformity.  There are some differences in the local rules for the Southern versus Northern District of Ohio, but they are very minor.  Trying to keep track of 88 sets of local rules on how long you have to respond, how to file a complaint, how much it costs to file that complaint, whether you can e-file/fax file, etc. is a nightmare.

We do scan in all of our client documents into an electronic file.  We only print things out to make a file when we actually need to go to court.  (We're very much a volume practice, and a lot of our cases don't even reach the point where there is a pre-trial.)  Lemon Law/MMWA cases really just turn upon the vehicle's repair orders.

I love the federal court's ECF filing system.  I found that I had to change to the daily digest format for notice because I found myself getting distracted by the notice e-mail, and instantly dropping what I was working on and dealing with the latest filing.

California state court has electronic filing and Orange County (my home courthouse) has mandated its use as of 1/1/2013. I hate the California state court system, because it is not fast.  All filings are reviewed by a clerk who is presently two weeks behind.  And also like unlike the federal system, its not free.  There's a $9 fee and a two week wait.

The immigration service (the regulatory agency I regularly practice before) still requires paper.  An original and a duplicate copy.  Since I have to reduce 95% of my office's work product to paper, I keep a paper file and will scan to disk for archival purposes once the case is done.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Antipodean

I definitely remember how, but it takes me longer than printing and is hard to read.  And no, it is not a necessary life skill in the computer age.

+ 1,000,000

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

StepbyStep-SH

I take a lot of notes by hand still, but in my own mishmash of printing and cursive, and my own "shorthand" where I drop letters out of words to speed it up (especially when doing interviews for stories).

Some letters are quicker and easier for me to do in cursive, others in print, so how I actually write is an odd combination.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I can write it.  Can anyone read it?

I resemble that remark!

I write and print all the time. Taking notes at work during busy times so that I can type them into the log later. Much quicker that way, during the heat of the battle.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

I take a lot of notes by hand still, but in my own mishmash of printing and cursive, and my own "shorthand" where I drop letters out of words to speed it up (especially when doing intervals for stories).

FYP

Winning.

I use cursive as my primary writing.  I had a younger friend who poked fun of me about it and said no one uses cursive anymore.  I had no idea and felt so old, lol!