Beginners and Beyond

HM race (or other) prior to Marathon goal - shout out! (Read 50 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

So it seems there are quite a few of us that have put ourselves in the same boat.

I'm curious who, when, time between, desired outcome of HM etc.

(no interest in sharing goal times since I won't share mine... It's a mental thing)

HM - Plano Balloon Festival - Sept 21st

- Race practice - hard tempo effort - final gear selection and pre-race procedures.

- train through - no taper - no rest

Marathon - Marine Corps Marathon - Oct 26th

5 weeks between

onemile

I always run one before a marathon. Preferably 4-6 weeks.

Fall 2010: 1:59:46 half, 4:28 full (6 weeks apart)

Spring 2013:  1:43:58 half, 3:42 full (4 weeks apart)

Fall 2013: 1:37:06 half, 3:33:15 full (6 weeks apart)

Spring 2014: 1:34:22 half, 3:32:03 full (2 weeks apart - bad idea) (had only done three 16 milers and nothing longer and just ran the full on a whim.  The half was my goal race here)

Fall 2014: I have a half on Sept 21.  My marathon, if I do it, is Nov 1 (6 weeks apart).  I plan on using the half to determine fitness and decide if it's worth it to drive to Indianapolis for the marathon or if I should just skip it.

LRB

I am funny about posting races and dates before I do them (which is why I never post in the race thread) but I have a half marathon five weeks out from a marathon.  The former in September the latter in October.

I am more interested in the pace per mile aspect for both than an absolute time goal, understanding of course that one invariably leads to the other.

For me, the half marathon is its own event and will not be indicative either way of the marathon performance regardless of how I do in it.

B-Plus

Next half is tentatively planned for Oct. 26, I think 25 weeks out. I plan to race each of them as fast as possible. I think it will also help to bridge the gap in race distance from 10k to 42.195k.

Docket_Rocket

I have a HM in two weeks. Unless my coach changes the workout, I am supposed to do 2 miles easy, 8 @ MP and the last three progressive and faster than MP.

Marathon is October 12.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

No race planned for me, but it will be very interesting to see all the results of your HMs, along with the final results of your goal marathons. From my observations, many runners (most especially men) are better at shorter distances, like 5 and 10k, and they have a hard time reaching their marathon equivalent (LTH is an exception). This is why I believe that your HM finish times will be more telling of what you can expect in your upcoming long race. Good luck, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

From my observations, many runners (most especially men) are better at shorter distances, like 5 and 10k, and they have a hard time reaching their marathon equivalent...

This is an interesting point you raise, I wonder if it is just race day execution or some other variable than just gender. 

I have done a decent job of lining my race times to their equivalent in other distances and am hopeful that continues...

B-Plus

This is an interesting point you raise, I wonder if it is just race day execution or some other variable than just gender. 

I have done a decent job of lining my race times to their equivalent in other distances and am hopeful that continues...

Isn't it just women complaining about male endurance?

happylily

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

lol

I think women have no problem lasting as long as men.  At least the ones I know can.  lol

Yes those race time equivalent calculators are bastards, and I don't know about gender, but they definitely have predicted me to be way better on the longer distances than I actually am. So I don't know why I study them like there will be a test. And why I am using them to set my GMP for this cycle.

Last spring I did a half before a marathon - 8 weeks.

Ran a 1:48 half; McMillan predicts 3:47 full, actual result 4:06.

Granted it was a cold, flat half and a very warm, somewhat hilly full. And my training was not quite marathon-ready. But not even close.

This spring I raced in reverse order: Full, half, 10k, 5k, all within 8 weeks.

Full time: 3:52

McMillan equivalents: 1:50, 49:34, 23:52

Actual race results: 1:45, 45:46, 21:33

And that was with basically no short race-specific training whatsoever, in fact those were the first times I ever ran a 5K & 10k.

Anyway so the half/full I have planned this year are on 9/6 and 10/19. (I am usually more coy about dates like LRB, but WTF.)

And as noted in the other thread, I am hoping to get something near the McMillan equivalent to my GMP, to give me some level of confidence to maintain that goal. Theoretically I should want to do better, based on how the predictors (don't) work for me. But maybe just getting there will be good enough, considering it will be on not the freshest of legs.

Dave

B-Plus

My performances are stronger the longer I go.

LRB

My performances are stronger the longer I go.

That is what I found with my spring half, as of right now though I still have no firm idea of what my strong suit is between the mile, 5k, 10k half and marathon.

LRB

Anyway so the half/full I have planned this year are on 9/6 and 10/19. (I am usually more coy about dates like LRB, but WTF.)

Look at you kicking out of that shell! 

B-Plus

That is what I found with my spring half, as of right now though I still have no firm idea of what my strong suit is between the mile, 5k, 10k half and marathon.

Hopefully I can get my 10k closer in line in 12 days.