Beginners and Beyond

Disappointing but Acceptable, an Oxymoron RR (Read 124 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I had high hopes of making significant improvements over the first meet even though the continued cold weather inhibited running any real speed workouts. I did manage some strides in Friday's and Saturday's workouts. Now I'm wondering whether that might have been too much after none at all for a week or more. In any case today was a disappointment even though the races weren't that bad.

Mile:  This was essentially the same field as two weeks ago with one additional runner. It developed much the same way as well. The first 880y actually went according to plan as I reached the quarter in 1:55 and the half in 3:54, but running solo again. While the rest of the race wasn't a disaster, I did slow down. My legs were flat and heavy. I wasn't getting the knee lift I should, and I felt like the circulation was being turned off in my arms and head as they started getting cold instead of warming up. I struggled through the next quarter in 2:02 and the final quarter only a shade faster to finish in 7:57.69. About the best I could say about the race was that I hung on to still break 8:00.

800m:  Surprisingly we had an almost full field with 7 runners in the heat. The top four took off and gapped the rest of us quickly. I wasn't sure where the runners behind me were but had to assume they were on my heels. Despite feeling fast, the first lap was only :55 and I had hoped to go out in :52-:53. I tried to push the pace but that only brought me a :54 second lap and first 400 of 1:49. I was struggling already and it showed as I slipped a little on the third lap with another :55 and all I could must with a kick on the last lap was another :54 for a final 3:38.33 - a full four tenths of a second faster than two weeks ago.

I had no thoughts about running the 3000m this time even without the way the mile and 800m went. I jogged an easy 2+ miles and called it a day. I'm skipping the next meet in two weeks both because of the driving distance and I need to concentrate on getting in what ever quality training I can. That will bring me to my last planned indoor meet on February 24th. There is one more meet after that, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Masters Championships, but I had planned to pass on that and start moving to the roads for the spring racing season.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Good improvement, george.  Sorry you are disappointed.  Keep working at it!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

George...Hanging on like you did in the mile is still commendable.  It's easy to just totally let the pace go when you feel like you did, as opposed to giving it the rest of what you have left.  As for the 800, at least you can say you were consistent and it was actually faster.  I hope you really benefit from a good stretch of quality training prior to your last indoor meet.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Love the Half

George, those heavy flat legs are exactly how I have felt in my last couple of races and it's precisely because I haven't done much work.  I suppose a down month is a good thing in terms of injury prevention but it sure as hell sucks in terms of performance.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

CrisRuns

You are progressing really well after a hard period. Great job!

Mmmmm...beer

Great job George!

My running club does a mile race in August, I'm looking forward to it, since I've never raced that distance before.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for the encouraging words. It was another example of making the best of what race day gives you. Sometimes even with good planning, when you step to the starting line and the race starts, you know it isn't your day. I know I'm capable of much better times and hope that shows at the next race. Meanwhile I feel I did as well as I could given the way those races unfolded and how I felt.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Sometimes even with good planning, when you step to the starting line and the race starts, you know it isn't your day.

Yeah, sometimes it's a crapshoot out there... especially on the track where you have limited time to settle into a groove. Good luck in the next one.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

happylily

Thanks for the encouraging words. It was another example of making the best of what race day gives you. Sometimes even with good planning, when you step to the starting line and the race starts, you know it isn't your day. I know I'm capable of much better times and hope that shows at the next race. Meanwhile I feel I did as well as I could given the way those races unfolded and how I felt.

Those are wise words. I'll try to remember them next time I miss a goal. It's too easy sometimes to beat ourselves over the head for missing a PR, or just a goal. It really is in the effort we give that we should take pride and you did great in that sense, George. Congratulations on giving it your all! I know that it won't be long before you reach your goals!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010