Beginners and Beyond

Go Fly A Kite Monday Penguins (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

February 9th is National Kite Flying Day!

It is also:

• National Bagels and Lox Day 
      • National Stop Bullying Day
      • National Toothache Day
      • Pizza Pie Day 
      • Read in the Bathtub Day

5K for me on Saturday and then 4.1 miles at Lackland Air Force base on Sunday, followed by a 50-minute weight training circuit.  It was cloudy when I ran, but the sun came out with a vengeance later that day, getting up to nearly 80 degrees.

Rest day for me today.  Going to be in the 70s again today in San Antonio and very sunny.  Right now at 7 a.m. it is nearly 60 degrees.

I have a short work week this week. I am off tomorrow, for my birthday (427 in dog years!) and then off on Friday and next Monday - Gail and I are taking a long weekend for our 30th anniversary and her birthday on the 15th.   Also, on the 13th I have my annual 'birthday month' physical.  Probably a good thing, cuz I need to get my feet checked - or something checked - cuz my feet around the toes have been tingling and cold a bit for about a week now - kinda like when part of you goes to sleep and then you get that 'tingling' as it comes awake again.  Doesn't happen when I'm walking around our running, just when I'm at 'still life', very weird.  Don't know if it is nerve related, diabetes-related (my mom had 'age-onset' diabetes in her late 60s), or what.   Well, whatever it is, one thing I've learned over the years from having a 3-volume medical record, lol, is there is no sense in me crying about it.....I play the cards life deals me and I'll just do the best I can.  Whatever this ends up to be, I'll deal with it and keep getting on with my life.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

A bagel is just a doughnut with rigor mortise...

Why do seagulls fly over the sea? Because if they flew over the bay, they'd be called bagels!

RD for me today. Have to go for sonograms this morning, they think I'm pregnant.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Switching days so RD for me.  Giving a class at a law school tonight (as a guest).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Hey Pens.  Gotta hit the ground running this week.  Taking DD's car in to get the brakes checked, then 8 planned for after work.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had chorus coaching on Saturday which went well, I learned yet another thing to concentrate on while I sing.  Turns out I form vowels and consonants with my jaw instead of my tongue, which makes me sing sharp.  So I have to focus on disengaging my jaw!  Then Sunday was the usual laundry/nap day, but at least DH and I got to sit outside in the warm a little.  Today it's supposed to rain all afternoon, so I'll have to try to squeeze in my walk before the rains come.

Scotty -- it'll probably be too wet for kite flying, but I'm all over reading in the bathtub!!  A hot bath and a good book is essential, IMHO!!  Happy early birthday!!

PAD -- Have a good RD!!  Do you want to be pregnant?

Docket -- have a good RD, and good luck on the class!!

Zelanie -- Enjoy your running all day!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Damaris, guest lecturer, that is cool. Smile

Zel, have a great 8.

Scotty, still sending you good wishes on your birthday month tests!  I know we can't help genetics & age & environmental factors, but you are doing a fantastic job with the fitness - I really admire you for that!

PAD - congratulations?!  Hmm, must be something else going on there, hope you get it figured out. Smile

Hopesmom, have a nice walk.

Headed out for some easy miles and then yoga.

hog4life

I haven't flown a kite in years! My feet are really sore again this this morning. I hope to get out for some repeat intervals later.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - enjoy your birthday week.  Are you and Gail going anywhere for your long weekend?  I hope it's not diabetes.  DH was diagnosed diabetic about 10 years ago - your age.  It's under control, but still worrisome.

PAD - I hope nothing is wrong.  Good luck at the doctor's.

D - enjoy your teaching gig tonight.

Z - be careful with the brakeless car!  Have fun with your eight this afternoon.

HopesMom - I hope you get your walk in before the rain.  Relaxing is key to a lot of things - singing, speaking, running . . .

Brilliant - I hope the easy miles went well.  Did you ever get results from your health scare last fall?

Mitch - have fun with the intervals.  Hope your feet feel better.

AFM:  rainy day here.  Schedule calls for XT but I may do 3 recovery on the TM this afternoon.

obiebyke

Hi all! I haven't flown a kite in yeeears.

Scotty, happy early bday!

D, have fun teaching. I'm teaching today, too.

I am so out of the habit of exercise from being sick. Ew. I'm terrible at building and keeping routine. Vaguely planning a test mile for my lungs tonight, then hoping for 3 tomorrow. Enough is enough. It almost makes me think I should try a streak--even an activity streak i/o a running streak--just to get it into my marrow.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

PADRunner

Just a checkup to make sure things are still flowing smoothly. I had carotid and ABI on my legs done today and arms tomorrow.

Brilliant

Brilliant - I hope the easy miles went well.  Did you ever get results from your health scare last fall?

Ginny, yes.  I don't remember how much I posted.  I had a knot under my arm, and because I am a breast cancer survivor, everybody (me, hubby, doctors) went nuts.  Turns out after about 3 weeks of testing and worrying, it was nothing.  I found out on Christmas Eve day, phew, good news.  No more doctor visits for me until the summer unless more mysterious knots/lumps show up. Smile

tracilynn

Great news Brilliant!

RD for me but will do 30 squats, 100 clam shells, some shin splint exercises and 5 min plank routine.

Called the ortho to get a physical therapy appt for shin splints. Hopefully those A HOLES will just refer me and not make me come in for an appt to evaluate me first. 

I know I have shin splints and I have seen them in the past for shin splints I don't need an appt for it but they like to make $, I guess.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

I went for my walk, as it's not raining yet.  Not too bad ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I hate the winter.

9 miles on the treadmill.  Done.  At least there was some eye candy to my right for a small part of that run.  Though he managed 6 miles in 40ish minutes and then kind of smirked at me on his way out as I was slogging through my miles.  After 4 miles I'd gotten off to refill my water bottle and he was kind of bewildered that I got back on I think.

Hope everyone is having a more cheerful Monday than I am =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)