Beginners and Beyond

Run for Meg (Read 105 times)

Run for Boston.

Same problem -- our running doesn't actually do anything for the city, nor for the victims.  But a wristband is small, and it doesn't have enough room for "every day, at least briefly, I think about that tragedy, the people it affected, and how nothing but about an hour separated me from possibly not having legs or even being alive, so I don't take being able to run for granted.  I'm grateful for the response and courage of people like Hilary, and I will be back without fear."

Run for Meg.

"Hundreds, if not thousands of runners took the time today to cover some miles outside in response to the loss of a talented running mom to a drunk driver.  Most of them did not know her, but most of them know someone like her.  It is possible that motorists saw more runners out on the streets than usual, and also possible that they might take a moment of caution as a result and save a life somewhere down the line.  It is not much, but it is something tangible where otherwise only frustration would be."

RSX

Run for Boston.

Same problem -- our running doesn't actually do anything for the city, nor for the victims.  But a wristband is small, and it doesn't have enough room for "every day, at least briefly, I think about that tragedy, the people it affected, and how nothing but about an hour separated me from possibly not having legs or even being alive, so I don't take being able to run for granted.  I'm grateful for the response and courage of people like Hilary, and I will be back without fear."

Run for Meg.

"Hundreds, if not thousands of runners took the time today to cover some miles outside in response to the loss of a talented running mom to a drunk driver.  Most of them did not know her, but most of them know someone like her.  It is possible that motorists saw more runners out on the streets than usual, and also possible that they might take a moment of caution as a result and save a life somewhere down the line.  It is not much, but it is something tangible where otherwise only frustration would be."

You may think that the wrist band is small, but people are still wearing them here for races. I actually bought some additional Watertown Strong stuff today. Watertown is where I grew up, and also the town where the search for the bombing suspects ended.

As far as Run for Boston not doing anything for the city etc. that is just wrong. I was a volunteer far away in Welllesley that day, and all those Run for Bostons no matter where made all of us in the running community feel better. I'm running Boston 2014 and can't wait. After the race I expect us to have our own private memories, but the running community support from last year will be such a huge plus.

I suspect that the Richmond VA community will have a lot of good memories knowing that all these runners all over the country ran for Meg. A few of my runner friends were in a group of around 30 who ran for her today. How often can we do something simple as a run, and make folks feel better?

workinprogress11

I had not planned on running yesterday.  After I read this thread, I ran 7 miles.  I may not have technically run for Meg but I ran because of her.

My deepest condolences to her friends and family.

Docket_Rocket

Ran a HM for her.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SlowNUnsteady

I suspect that the Richmond VA community will have a lot of good memories knowing that all these runners all over the country ran for Meg. A few of my runner friends were in a group of around 30 who ran for her today. How often can we do something simple as a run, and make folks feel better?

It really was something special.  Her husband ran with two different groups and her mom also ran a mile (the first time she ever ran in her life).  I'm in a picture on the front page of the paper today.  That's kinda weird.