Beginners and Beyond

Are you a running shoe hoarder? (Read 71 times)

LRB

So after only three runs this week, it dawned on me this morning that the mud and muck of this spring is only just beginning, and this relatively new pair of shoes is destined for a short life span.

The thought occurred to me that I should probably buy another pair to go with the pair that I have boxed away, but then I wondered why I would buy only one more pair.  Why not two, or three.

This particular shoe is last years model but I really like the color scheme more than this years model.  Do you box away running shoes at all?  And if so, what is your max?

onemile

I have 7 brand new pairs of Adrenalines in my closet.  Stocked up when I saw them on sale.  When the new model is $120 and I got these for $75, I don't feel bad about it.   Except lately I have really been liking the Mirage.  But I can always sell these Adrenalines on Ebay if I end up switching over completely.  Oh, and one new pair of Saucony Mirage will arrive on my doorstep today because Amazon had them for 30% off.  

Philliefan33

I have five pairs of running shoes in rotation right now, but two of them are near the end of life.

Time to go shoe shopping. 

happylily

I used to go crazy with shoes, but I got tired of it. At the moment, I have two pairs in my closet which I haven't used at all. I reserve them for my upcoming spring and fall races. And I have about 6 pairs which I use in training, with mileage ranging from 100 to 500 miles.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I probably am, lol.  I have 5 ASICS Nimbus in my rotation now, and 3 more pairs - brand new - that I have in 'reserve' and have not even used yet.  I also have a pair of Saucony shoes -the old Trigon model - in reserve, and two pairs of 'hybrid' trail shoes that I use when I do a mix of road-and-trail runs.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Does a bear sh!t in the woods?

I actually try to rotate just 2 pairs at a time, but I still keep the previous pair of pairs in rotation for things like the treadmill, or maybe the day after a rain when the roads are gonna be a mess, etc.

That said, at the foot of my bed the wife is quick to point out to me that I have approximately 6 pairs of shoes hanging out under there and another 2 in boxes cuz they're brand new, sitting off a couple feet to the left of those.

Not to mention the couple pair in the basket at the front door that I won't toss because 1 pair is for yard work & the other pair is just fine, I just didn't like them & need to implement them as walking shoes......just....well....haven't yet.

Oh and the pair of trail shoes 1 size too big sitting next to the treadmill that are like-new and getting ready to grow roots!

Define hoarder!  

Randy

delicate flower

No.

At any given time, I have two pairs in rotatation.  I happen to have five pairs right now simply because I haven't gotten around to recyling the other three pairs.  I do not have any brand new pairs stashed away for future use.  I buy them only when I need them.

For every pair of running shoes I own, I own four pairs of dress shoes.  Smile

<3

hog4life

I have 7 brand new pairs of Adrenalines in my closet.  Stocked up when I saw them on sale.  When the new model is $120 and I got these for $75, I don't feel bad about it.   Except lately I have really been liking the Mirage.  But I can always sell these Adrenalines on Ebay if I end up switching over completely.  Oh, and one new pair of Saucony Mirage will arrive on my doorstep today because Amazon had them for 30% off.  

What size are the Adrenalines? hehe

I currently have 5 pair in rotation, but will loose 2 of them soon.

Zelanie

I have 4 pairs in rotation right now.  That was just enough when I was running crazy doubles that I didn't have to wear any shoe on consecutive days. Smile  Last year I had two extra shoes stockpiled from when they went on clearance, but I don't have any at the moment.  The The price is right on a couple of pairs, but we've had some expenses lately and I can't justify it when I don't actually need new shoes.  Hopefully there will still be some clearance ones when I'm ready to buy!

onemile

I currently have 5 pair in rotation, but will loose 2 of them soon.

Women's size 9.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Women's size 9.

If only they were a size 9.5!

Running is dumb.

I only have 2 in rotation at any given time. When they reach a certain mileage, I buy 2 new pairs. One retired pair used for walking around, one for mowing the lawn. Otherwise all my old ones are back in their boxes taking up space. Probably will get rid of them at some point, but haven't gotten around to it. So I am a hoarder, although has not reached epic proportions yet, as I haven't been running as long or bought as many shoes in general as a lot of folks here.

Dave

I have two pair of men's size 12's I can offer you, slightly used (~500 miles each). OK maybe that is too many miles for you, but if it's any consolation, they weren't run too fast.

Dave

happylily

When I went to Jamaica, I donated about 20 pairs of my retired shoes. The ladies volunteering were very grateful. I saw many kids (10-12 years old) doing the kid race the day before my own race who had no shoes at all to run in. They were either in sandals or barefoot.  I'll never throw a pair of running shoes unless they are coming apart in some way or they have over 1000 miles on them.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Walk-Jogger

My problem is that I "graduated" last year from a size 9.5 to a size 10, and I can't bear to toss out the 8 or 10 pairs of size 9.5's that are all  worn but not worn out. Some of them may be worn out; I haven't really checked to see . . .  I did force myself to throw out a pair of size 10 Mizuno Ronin's this week that I had worn the heel completely off of in 450 miles. I ordered 2 new pairs to replace the old ones, since they're out of production now.

I also have one pair of Mizuno Ronin's that I wear exclusively on the indoor running rack, and I have over 1000 miles on them now with virtually no visible wear on the soles. Amazingly. The savings in replacement shoe costs is probably enough to pay for half my annual gym membership fee!

Retired &  Loving It