Beginners and Beyond

Boston Monday Penguins (Read 15 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

4 this morning then breakfast and the marathon.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I can't watch it from the office in any shape or form.  6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I'll be watching today after my doctor's appointment.

Thankfully only 3 more months to go. My back issues have really flared up, so I've been slow walking (3 mph) on the treadmill. I'm trying to do at least 30 minutes per day. I also walk outside a bit, but any uneven surfaces/inclines/or stairs cause me lots of pain (also my dog pulling at the leash is pretty much a nightmare). I'm pretty much lame with my right side (siatica) so it is a ball of fun. On bad days I have right sided numbness down my whole leg/foot. On good days I just feel persistent pain =/ My gym's pool has been closed/broken for 3 months. I found that there's a public pool I can go to for $5 so I'm going to try doing that once or twice per week.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, hoping your back feels better.  Have you tried some yoga/pilates for it?  I know there are classes for expecting mothers, or there are in certain areas.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ugh, hoping your back feels better.  Have you tried some yoga/pilates for it?  I know there are classes for expecting mothers, or there are in certain areas.

The only class near me meets when I'm working, which is funny because I only work very part time at this point. There are youtube videos and I've done some of them.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

LRB

I'll be watching today after my doctor's appointment.

Thankfully only 3 more months to go. My back issues have really flared up, so I've been slow walking (3 mph) on the treadmill. I'm trying to do at least 30 minutes per day. I also walk outside a bit, but any uneven surfaces/inclines/or stairs cause me lots of pain (also my dog pulling at the leash is pretty much a nightmare). I'm pretty much lame with my right side (siatica) so it is a ball of fun. On bad days I have right sided numbness down my whole leg/foot. On good days I just feel persistent pain =/ My gym's pool has been closed/broken for 3 months. I found that there's a public pool I can go to for $5 so I'm going to try doing that once or twice per week.

Hopefully you get that figured out and put behind you once and for all. I dealt with sciatic crap for two years, it sucks. 👎

Everyone is different but for me it was a result of a knot of tightness in my glute(s) that I had to work free over a period of weeks and months.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hopefully you get that figured out and put behind you once and for all. I dealt with sciatic crap for two years, it sucks. 👎

Everyone is different but for me it was a result of a knot of tightness in my glute(s) that I had to work free over a period of weeks and months.

Oh I have a herniated disc in my lumbar spine and the extra baby weight is just pissing it off. Once I get back down to a normal weight/am not carry a ton of weight in my belly it should get better. The herniation isn't too severe and I've been dealing with it for almost 5 years - I generally know how to control it but pregnancy is a whole other beast :-/

LRB

Oh I have a herniated disc in my lumbar spine and the extra baby weight is just pissing it off. Once I get back down to a normal weight/am not carry a ton of weight in my belly it should get better. The herniation isn't too severe and I've been dealing with it for almost 5 years - I generally know how to control it but pregnancy is a whole other beast :-/

That must be a special bun you're baking then.  ðŸ’•

GinnyinPA

Jill- I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard pregnancy. I hope you like the new pool. It's worth the money. Can you do a stationary bike? PAD - good job on the 4. D - I hope your 6 went well. AFM: two rest days for me. Yesterday we drove down to MD to share Easter dinner with family, then camped at Greenbelt. We planned to hike there this morning, but it was raining, so we headed homeward. We stopped at REI in College Park, only to discover that it was closed down sometime over the winter. That store was a favorite for years, so it's too bad they closed. We didn't care enough to go looking for one of the other branches, we just drove north. When the rain ended, we found a state park with a few short rocky trails and did 4.4 miles there. Then made it the rest of the way home.