Beginners and Beyond

NRR - what do you do for a living? (Read 966 times)

Docket_Rocket

I knew we were all the same. When I have a hearing in the chapter 13 calendar, mine is at 9 and I actually see the judge after 2pm. And since I cannot bring a lot of stuff with me due to the secret thing, I am limited in what I can do while waiting.

I have court almost every day of the week, so I spend lots of time sitting in my ass waiting for judges and defense attorneys to come to court...we routinely have to wait over half an hour. But in my county, if the prosecutor is even a minute late, off with her head!!! So I post from my phone a lot.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Don't call me Buttercup!

Cook, maid, tutor, chauffeur, nurse, teacher, etc, etc.   Stay at home mom to 2.   Previously I was a Management Analyst with the Fed Gov. 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Customer Service Rep...

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

I manage a warehouse for an Industrial Tool distributor. 

I'm an administrative assistant.  And while it seems menial to some, I love it.  I'm sure because the people I support (all four of them) are uber appreciative, and have expressed on a daily basis that they would be lost without me.

Thank you for all that you do.  My sister has been a legal secretary to the same lawyer, in a big law firm for 30+ years.  He/they come to her to get answers to their questions.  So yes, the office would not operate w/o you.

muppy

I do grounds maintenance at a 4 star hotel and I also own a part time landscaping business that I am training my son to take over. I love working outside!
              hvmorfun

mad cow

I'm a legal assistant in a satellite office of a moderately sized firm.  So far, I've worked with workers' compensation, civil litigation, and now business law.  I'm also the unofficial IT person here. 

You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin. But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad. You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of goodness. Bad dog! Bad dog!

QuirkyOne

The former Kelly728

Research Coordinator - yes, it is really exciting, riveting stuff.

Canuck

Another lawyer here.  I've been called to the bar for just over 10 years.  For the first 5 years of my career I was a labour and employment lawyer at a large downtown Vancouver law firm.  For the last five years I've been with an organization that specializes in health sector labour and human resources issues.  I'm in a group that deals with physician services, which means I work for the Ministry of Health and the various Health Authorities on issues related to physician compensation, negotiation of the physician master agreement and other related items. 

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Run Like a Mother

I have been a legal secretary/assistant for 25 years (all my adult life), the last 16+ in a massive international law firm based in Boston.  I work in the Hartford office for 3 partners and 1 associate doing private placements (and I am on my lunch hour right now Smile).

And this is what my hubby does:

Water & sewer treatment.  I manage a municipal water & sewer system.  

I'm a professional turd rassler Cool.  Tis a thankless job, but not too affected by the economy.    

Linda

Dr. Cornsitter

I was in this field, previously. I started as a patient advocate and clinical appeals writer. Then I went to the "dark" Smile side and worked as an agent then as a benefits and employment advisor.

Now I am what most call a stay at home mom. I have two girls. I'm an old fashioned housewife. I NEVER thought I would be, but I'm good at it, and it's a pretty cush gig.

I keep keep saying I want to work when Vivian begins pre-k in two years. My husband will support my decision, but I know he isn't keen. I don't think I will ever work a corporate job again though. I may become a fitness instructor to get me out, get paid to work out, and have ample time for my girls, hub and home.

Insurance lady here, too. I work in the underwriting side of things. Basically, I either tell people they ain't no good or I kiss their butts. Certainly the least gratifying job I've ever had, but I'm good at it.

Used to work in publishing, which is where I wish I were, but no one buys books the way they used to, so the job market has shrunk significantly.

Alas, I am stuck. Anyone know of a position in Boston in publishing (of ANY kind), PM me!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

tessasnewlife

Insurance lady here, too. I work in the underwriting side of things. Basically, I either tell people they ain't no good or I kiss their butts. Certainly the least gratifying job I've ever had, but I'm good at it.

Used to work in publishing, which is where I wish I were, but no one buys books the way they used to, so the job market has shrunk significantly.

Alas, I am stuck. Anyone know of a position in Boston in publishing (of ANY kind), PM me!

What type of Insurance? I worked for a risk management company. Worst job ever.

Zelanie

Do you have any tips on learning to read a new language? Repetition, repetition, repetition?

Music. I learned as a preschool teacher singing along with the kids. Then I also went through a language program and one thing we did was read and sang along with songs. That helps with the phrasing and intonation.
                            Soc12

I sell insurance by day and make pizzas by night.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Teacher. I also play drums in a band, but that is really just a hobby. Well, I do make a few extra bucks from it, so I guess it counts.