Beginners and Beyond

Should I be even thinking this far ahead on doing another HM? (Read 121 times)

Nevrgivup

Hi guys. Looking for some input on something. Many of you know I have been a runner for many years now, but its taken a big decrease in mileage since school. I was thinking about doing a HM in Oct. but I'm not so sure the mileage I've been averaging will support it. This wouldn't be my first HM, just haven't done one in a few years. My long runs are up to 10 miles at about a 9:15-9:30 pace. I'm concerned about getting the miles in with my hectic schedule. Should I just bag it this year and just run for the enjoyment of it? I've recently started coming back to racing since Boston and it felt good to do that. I could also just try and run it for fun and use it as a long run and motivator to get some miles in. I don't know why I put so much pressure on myself but I do. To think I was going to train for a full. I can't wait to finish school so I can train and "really" race again. Over thinking this running thing. LOL.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

bluerun

Super B****

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to run a half with long runs of 10 miles... but then again, I rarely run over 8, even training for a half, so maybe I'm not the best person to weigh in on this!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

If you're comfortable running over 10 miles now, then I see no reason why you can't plan to do a half-marathon in October... you already seem to have a decent base.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Gray Runner

Running Bear

If you can hit 10 on a LR you can complete the HM in October as long as you keep up the training during the hot summer months. The question is what goal pace do you want to achieve?

Upcoming races:  
          Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
          Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
          Sweetwater 50K 4/12
          Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
          Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
          H9 50 mile 8/9
          Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
          Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
          Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
          Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

B-Plus

Can you register closer to the event? I would just run as much base mileage your body and schedule can handle over the next few months, with maybe 1 faster run per week. Then when you're 6-8 weeks out, if there is any remote possibility you could race it then you can start to do some more HM specific work at that point. You could also decide to bag it at around that time, with hopefully a nice base to carry you through to your next goal. Don't be like me; I'm DNSing my favourite half this month.
            Nevrgivup

Thanks guys. I'm looking to run around 2 hours. I'm going to sign up toward the very end of registration up until they increase the fees. I could go out and run 13.1 miles in my own neighborhood but want to experience the race and maybe a FE.Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm already training for an October half and I have not been running even close to as long as you. The plan I am doing doesn't even have me running anything longer than 10 the entire 20 weeks of the plan. If you are already running 10 I am sure you can do it!!! October is still over 4 months away, there are lots of plan options that can be done in that time to help you reach your goals.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

I think you'll do really super in an October HM. If it will fit into your schedule, there's no reason not to just do it. You deserve to enjoy it and have fun. Good luck to you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do it. It's just a matter of managing your expectations, in my opinion. Whether you're disappointed or excited is going to depend entirely upon the types of goals you set for the race. Maybe instead of time goals, you can set effort goals for this race. If your goal is to push hard throughout the race and run the best you can on that day, you have a lot better chance of meeting that goal than some hard and fast time goal which you may not have done the training to support.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Love the Half

I think it depends on what you want out of the race.  If you are fine with just running it as a fun run, then you shouldn't have any problem completing it.  If you are hoping to really race,  you'll be disappointed if you try.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

Definitely not in race shape right now. So running it for fun is what I'd be doing.

delicate flower

Thanks guys. I'm looking to run around 2 hours. I'm going to sign up toward the very end of registration up until they increase the fees. I could go out and run 13.1 miles in my own neighborhood but want to experience the race and maybe a FE.Smile

HOORAY!  Big grin

<3

cmb4314

I think that you should be fine, depending on what your expectations are.  If you know you aren't running the miles to support a really hard race effort, but you're okay with just running it to the best of your ability, then obviously with 10 mile long runs, you'll be fine.  If you are going to be disappointed to not be able to attack a PR from a time when you were running more miles, then the race is going to be a bummer.

I didn't run a step between 2/9 (when I broke my ankle) and 5/31 (when I got the okay to run again), and I'm considering signing up for a HM in October.  I ran the same race last year, so I'm just taking it as a fitness assessment to see how far I am along on my road to recovery.  I know for a fact that I will be nowhere near PR shape, and I am at peace with that.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

MrNamtor

i agree you have the base it seems for a half.

Concerning run for fun vs. run for racing, you can do both. Maybe give yourself a really long training cycle, and you can be more relaxed about your training, have fun, and still keep a goal race in mind for motivation.

Antipodean

My long run is only 8.5 miles right now (but over 9 this Sunday Cool) but I am signed up for my first half at the end of September. So, I'm crazier than you!

I'm sure you'll do great. Sometimes if you wait for the right time there will never be one, so jut do it. Good luck.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary