Beginners and Beyond

2013 Race PR's : Which One Is More Important? (Read 326 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Me. Big grin  It's the only way I'll get a PR. My primary goal race this year is the Fall NC 24 12-hour Run. While it's far too early to estimate what would be a reasonable goal, I would be very disappointed if I didn't run at least 50K in 12 hours.

I never would have guessed, George!  But you'll have no problem going 50K in 12 hours.  I still think you can shoot for 50.

Running is dumb.

Luke79

HM.  I should be running my first one this year and I'm shooting for sub 2:00.  That should really be no problem, but I'm just hoping nothing crazy happens during the race like cramps or something.

Luke79

I guess I am alone so far in my love for the 10k? It is in fact my favorite distance, but I also only have one race on the calendar so far and it is a 10k so obviously I chose that...

I like the 10k.  However, it is kind of like 5k's bigger, meaner older brother.  It hurts just as much when you wrestle him.

Chairman

I am getting too old for PRs.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

bluerun

Super B****

I voted 5K, because until my body gets it together enough to do longer distances consistently... well, I've done more 5Ks than anything else.  So it's harder for me to PR in that distance now.

I'd say the half, but come on -- if I can't PR in that on my next try, something is seriously wrong.  (3:59:17 would be a PR.  Just FYI.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

workinprogress11

I'm chasing a sub 2, so I voted for the HM.  This will also help me determine if I have a chance in hell of BQing in the next 2 or 3 years.

Just B.S.

I voted 26.2 because at age 51 I know my string of marathon PR's could come to an

end at any time. I would love to beat my current PR of 4:20 set in Sept. That was a  7

minute PR but anything better than that would be good with me.

Only time will tell. My next chance is May.

Antipodean

I voted for 5k despite hoping to race my first HM in 2013. I want to do all I can at the shorter distances first, I guess. I have also reached my (old age) PR of 25:01 twice, so it's burning me up that I haven't got my sub 25 yet. I already have 7 5k races registered for so will have plenty of opportunities. In my 20s (I'm 45 this year) I ran 23:37 off very little training, so I guess that's my ultimate goal. There's only one way to find out if that is possible - go for it!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Anomalous

My first marathon finish this year will be a PR (not a BQ of course). lol

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Marathon. Sub-3 or my heart breaks this time. A new 5k PR would be nice (all I'd have to do is run one), but that's really only for vanity.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

No more marathons

Three marathons in 6 months has confirmed for me how much I don't like that distance. Once March 3rd is over I will concentrate on POM pr's at the 10K and HM distance.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

HM for me. I really like the distance and I'm shooting for sub 2 hr this year.  Although I suprised myself in my last 5k the other day.. I still gotta go with HM.

No more marathons

I am getting too old for PRs.

That's why I seperate mine into before and after (before getting old as dirt).  And if I can get to the point of an age graded PR then that would be a good way to go.

He's a leaker!

B-Plus

10k, because I hate the distance so much.

No more marathons

My goal for 2013 in to PR in the distance I have always trained for, the marathon. If I train specifically for it, then that's where I want to PR, right? But I find that as I get better in the 26.2 mile distance, my times for the 10k, 10 mile and HM are falling as well. In fact, I'm lucky that all of the distances are pretty much in line on the McMillan chart. Only the 5k (and the mile, I suppose) seems to be my black beast. I ran a good one, once, in training and then I was never able to repeat that. So if I could just match my 5k time to my goal marathon time in 2013, I would be delighted. For that, I need a 21:25 or better. Just the thought of it makes my legs tremble with fear.

Lily, mine run in the reverse order.  My 5k, 10k, 15K and HM are all close - now and back in my 30's.  But my marathon has never come close.  I suppose that is genetics (and not willing to put in the miles necessary might have a little to do with it   Undecided).

He's a leaker!