Beginners and Beyond

Weston Half Marathon RR: Course PR! (Read 253 times)

Docket_Rocket

Stress can also be a trigger so that would make sense. BTW, those socks are from Proud Runner. Apparently, others are trying to use my middle name!

Wow, so cool that they make personalized socks with your middle name on them!

I know at school when one of our kids is having an asthma attack, one of the best things we can do for them is to help them relax and stay calm.  I wonder if by telling yourself that you're running this one easy and have no expectations if that also helps avoid an asthma trigger?

In any case, congrats on what sounds like a super race!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Last year the doctor didn't think I needed albuterol pre or during runs. 2012 was so bad asthmawise, she put me back on. I am back to where I don't need it. Today, I forgot it in the car. If it's an important race, I still premedicate. I am in Symbicort, so it's not like I am running naked either. Will see tomorrow. She is going to chew my ass about Vegas.

Damaris - that's terrific, congrats on the course PR!  Love the socks.

Question though, from a fellow asthma sufferer.  Why not  use the albuterol pre race?  I don't understand the philosophy behind not using it.   And the thought of embarking on any run (let alone a race) without it scares the ever loving daylights out of me, having had some extremely close calls.   

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tinman11

Great job on the course PR - especially with the high humidity! 

And of course, the socks rock!

dallison

registered pw

Congrats on the pr. It's great when a race feels that good. Keep up the great work.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

andrew jerald

Great job! Thats alot of racing in just a week....How many marathons do you have plan for 2013?

Docket_Rocket

Great job! Thats alot of racing in just a week....How many marathons do you have plan for 2013?

It is still a work in progress BUT, so far, I have planned 9 and 1 ultra.  Assuming I do them all.  If not, at least 7 + 1.

That's for now.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

No more marathons

It is still a work in progress BUT, so far, I have planned 9 and 1 ultra.  Assuming I do them all.  If not, at least 7 + 1.

That's for now.

Impressive.  I'm scheduled for my 3rd in about a six month period - find I'm having trouble keeping motivated.  How do you do it?  And, more importantly, how do you train between marathons?  Do you have some that you will "race" and some that you will "run"? 

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

runmomto3boys

I love the socks!  You did a great job on the race!  Congrats on the course PR despite the heat.  Yay!!

hog4life

Damaris, congrats on another great half.
                    Docket_Rocket

Impressive.  I'm scheduled for my 3rd in about a six month period - find I'm having trouble keeping motivated.  How do you do it?  And, more importantly, how do you train between marathons?  Do you have some that you will "race" and some that you will "run"? 

Definitely.  I could PR bigger if I were to dedicate myself to one or two a year, but I really don't want to.  I love doing them and often.  And apparently, my husband is now in the where can we go wagon so I'm doing more per year.

If you start doing them more often, you'll soon find out that you cannot race them all.  I don't think I've gotten slower in general but when I race them, I know that my potential is most likely not going to show up.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Socks don't lie.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Great job lady. As for the socks, some running tights with the arrow could be funny also. Keep up the good work.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Those are some seriously cool socks, D.  Congratulations on the course PR!

B-Plus

Congrats on the course PR, Bad Ass.

Runshortii

Love the socks! Congrats on the course PR!