Beginners and Beyond

Sort of running related: US Army is getting rid of soldiers who are "too fat" to defend America (Read 495 times)

I didn't read the article, but George and Scrape are spot on with their comments.  I spent 27 years in IT, and 3/4 of that time behind a computer screen.  A majority of my physical fitness came on my 'off duty' time.  In recent years there has been a major push to get everyone more physically active, but it hasn't always been this way.  While, from what I've witnessed, the Marines are some pretty fit bad asses, I've seen 'fat' Marines (guys in the IT and Intel communities), who had and probably will never see the front lines.

I didn't read the article, but George and Scrape are spot on with their comments.  I spent 27 years in IT, and 3/4 of the time behind a computer screen.  A majority of my physical fitness came on my 'off duty' time.  In recent years there has been a major push to get everyone more physically active, but it hasn't always been this way.  While, from what I've witnessed, the Marines are some pretty fit bad asses, I've seen 'fat' Marines (guys in the IT and Intel communities), who had and probably will never see the front lines.

The article only addresses people that have to take the fitness test, NOT the people George and Scrape are talking about.

#artbydmcbride

Aren't they worried if men and women start jogging together they will have to deal the "Petraeus' effect?

Runners run

Docket_Rocket

The article only addresses people that have to take the fitness test, NOT the people George and Scrape are talking about.

I thought every member of the military has to take the fitness (PT) test.  I know my husband had to take it every so often while a doctor in the Army.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I thought every member of the military has to take the fitness (PT) test.  I know my husband had to take it every so often while a doctor in the Army.

Scrape said on page one that they don't.

Chairman

No I didn't. I said that they may not pass. I didn't say they don't take it. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

No I didn't. I said that they may not pass. I didn't say they don't take it. 

Ah, I see... but do they get to keep their jobs when they fail?

He didn't specifically say this.  All military personnel (unless waived medically) have to take an annual physical fitness test regardless of occuppation.  BUT, because of the money spent on training and occuppational demand for some specialties (docs, lawyers, pilots, etc.), the 'brass' are less likely to push these people out, because it's so damn hard to replace them, as it would be say for an admin clerk, infantry soldier, etc.

Ah, I see... but do they get to keep their jobs when they fail?

Just about anything can be waivered, so depending on who and/or what you know, there are ways to keep you around and work with you until you pass it.  The way fitness failures are handled within each branch (much less across the board) is not cookie cutter by any means.

Love the Half

I have been the military for 27 years - specifically in the Army National Guard and the Army Reserve.  Every single person wearing the uniform, at least in the Army, has the job title of "soldier."  With that job title, you are expected to be able to do certain things.  Without question, someone in the infantry is much, much more likely to have to shoot and be shot at than a computer operator.  Nevertheless, that computer operator is expected to be able to leave that computer and participate in defense of the base if needed.  Because of that need, there are certain tasks every soldier must perform.  Examples include assembling, disassembling, and firing your individual weapon, putting on your gas mask, digging a foxhole, and moving while under direct or indirect fire.  Moreover, soldiers can be reassigned from non-combat duties to combat duties when the need arises.  It's not common but it happens.

Some of these duties have a physical component.  The point of the physical fitness test is to ensure that every soldier is fit enough to do those things expected of every soldier.  Still, it's not all about fitness.  There is an appearance component as well.

All soldiers are expected to present a "neat, military appearance."  You may find this requirement silly or pointless but the idea of a soldier looking like a soldier is neither.  The height and weight standards reflect the reality that most people who fail to meet those standards do not look like a soldier.  They look like a couch potato.  However, there are also body fat standards that recognize the further reality that some people who do not meet the height and weight standards are muscular.  So, only those who fail to meet both the height and weight standard and the body fat standard are at risk of being forced out due to weight issues.  Those who fail to pass the physical fitness test are at risk as well regardless of whether they meet the height and weight standard.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

I don't know about the fitness level of our military men, in Canada (yes, we do have an army. Big grin). I would imagine it to be similar to that of the American army men. But I know that I see a lot of big cops around here. They are not big as in muscular, they are just fat and out of shape. Shouldn't they be required to pass a fitness test also? I don't know how many times they have shot and killed someone, or tasered someone with serious consequenses, when simply restraining physically would have been enough. Our cops are so out of shape now that they don't want to do anything that requires chasing down someone running away, or wrestling a drunk or anything like that. They think that brandishing their guns is the solution to everything. Our cops here, in Quebec, are morons.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Butter Tart

Our cops here, in Quebec, are morons.

Like agent 728? I really hope she's not representative.

happylily

Like agent 728? I really hope she's not representative.

You heard of her? haha. Yes, she's the female version of cops in Quebec. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRS

Chasing Muses

I didn't read the article, but George and Scrape are spot on with their comments.  I spent 27 years in IT, and 3/4 of that time behind a computer screen.  A majority of my physical fitness came on my 'off duty' time.  In recent years there has been a major push to get everyone more physically active, but it hasn't always been this way.  While, from what I've witnessed, the Marines are some pretty fit bad asses, I've seen 'fat' Marines (guys in the IT and Intel communities), who had and probably will never see the front lines.

Speaking specifically of Marines, they do have a semi-annual weigh in. You fail, you go into a remedial PT program. You continue to fail, you're out. Same is true with Physical Fitness Tests. Even if you pass, a poor score means that an E-4 or below may very well not get promoted. And consistantly failing PFT will get you booted. In addition, to make E-6 or above, you have to submit a picture in uniform as part of your promotion package. If you do not look the part, you dont get promoted.

And to piggy-back a bit on what LTH said, but even moreso, there are no Marines who are expected to "never see the front lines." There are far fewer Marines than in any other service, and every Marine's primary MOS (job) is Basic Rifleman.