Beginners and Beyond

Somnolent saturday penguins! (Read 22 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

I know that I mentioned the painful experience with the shoes lastnight but the IT band was hurting as well. Didn't feel nearly as bad though and I did get a 1/2 mile in this time before it started hurting so that's good I guess!

So sleepy this morning. Had to work today so 4am came way to early Sad

Jack - No they aren't to small, I have a fair amount of room between my toes and the front of the shoe.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Jimmy, sorry the ghost doesnt work for you.

Celebrating mid autumn festival. Eating moon cakes and kids get to carry lantern. 8M done near inlaw place. Nice run round a lake. First run there.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

tracilynn

Bin, moon cakes sounds good.  i wonder if they are similar to moon pies?  im guessing no.  Ha

Jimmy, that sucks about the ITB.  Ive had that 4 times now.  It lingers around for a long time too, at least mine did.  Impossible to run through when it gets really mad.    I havent had ITB since ditching my support shoes and big orthotics but I have new problems so going more neutral/minimal wasnt a total fix for me! i guess.

In fact I have a new injury I came in here to gripe about.........

MY RIGHT PIRIFORMIS IS REALLY PISSED OFF Angry

I took a rest day Thursday and was going to run yesterday and all day yesterday I had a weird inner thigh pain then it started hurting deep  in the glute and hamstring area, hard to pinpoint and then noticed i was getting tingly (sciatica) and it hurts worse when I sit down.   Dr. Google says piriformis.Dead

I didnt even run the past 2 days and I get an injury after a rest day?!   I dont know what to do.  I do piriformis stretches(thread the needle) after every run too, I  always have.  I think I need to give up on running even though I really love it.  I must be made from a DAMN POWDER PUFF, I swear!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

JBJ: too bad about the shoes. Maybe try a massage for the ITB? I had it once and a massage helped a lot.

Bin: sounds fun! Moon cakes... Yum...

Traci: dang it, you poor thing. I'm sorry to hear that.

Five recovery miles for me.

Enjoy.

Bin Running

Traci, much like a sweet pastry. Made of lotus seed paste with maybe a salted egg inside. Sorry abt the pain.

Jake, enjoy the 5 recovery.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Dad on the run.

Traci - Don't give up on running! Do you do any leg strengthening workouts? I have started weight training, doing it for about 7 weeks now and have really started focusing on my legs/hips. I hear ITBS is usually related to weak / stiff hips. Perhaps yours would benefit from leg curls / weighted squats / lunges?

Bin - Moon cake sounded good until you described it.... here I was relating it to a moon pie and then you have to ruin it talking aboust pastes and salted eggs... When I hear cake I think cake batter and icing Tongue lol. On a side not, I'd still try one Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  9 miles tonight.

Hershey almost died at the vet yesterday from sedation.  They said he is doing OK today so hoping to get him home by tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Docket - Sorry to hear about your cat. I hope you get to carry him/her home soon. Sending her little kitty vibes (((()))))

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Still around, still training, been too busy to post.

I was supposed to run 4 today (cutback week again already), but I was on a new route and forgot a turn and ended up 3/4 of a mile from home when I got to 4 miles. No big deal, but I ended up walking once I got to 4.5 because my shin started hurting. My kids helped my shoes walk away yesterday and I couldn't find them in the dark, so I used my old shoes. Not sure if that's part of the problem.

Life's giving me plenty of lemons these days and running is not helping. I'm not sure if it was a good idea, but I cut out all planned workouts besides running this week so I could get more sleep. My 4-year-old will be having "guided growth" surgery on his legs on Tuesday. My grandma fell this week and broke her pelvis in 3 places. She's still in the hospital but hopefully will be moved to a rehab/PT facility this weekend. Work has been crazy. This week was short so I felt extra pressure to get caught up on the stuff I missed the previous week and get stuff ready for my vacation week next week. I should be feeling less stress now that the week is over, but I'm not. Urg. Running sucks lately and I'm stuck in a rut. But enough about me...

Moon cakes?!? Smile

Jimmy and Traci - feel better!

Jack - enjoy the recovery run!

Damaris - so scary! sorry to hear about Hershey's troubles. Hoping for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

tracilynn

I do the shred about 1-2 x a week.  It has various lunges and squats but not with weights.  I also do myrtls about once/week.  I just dont have time to add another thing to my routine!  I already run for about 45 mins then I do shin splint exercises, rolling before and after running, all the basic  leg, hip, calf, hamstring, quad, piriform stretches, 15 eccentric calf raises ea side, heel and toe walking, about 5 minutes of yoga down dog etc and then My daily plank.  How much more do I have to do!?!?  Seriously I barely have enough time for all that!  Im pretty sure I spend more time doing all that other crap then I do actually running! Angry Grrrr

Traci - Don't give up on running! Do you do any leg strengthening workouts? I have started weight training, doing it for about 7 weeks now and have really started focusing on my legs/hips. I hear ITBS is usually related to weak / stiff hips. Perhaps yours would benefit from leg curls / weighted squats / lunges?

Bin - Moon cake sounded good until you described it.... here I was relating it to a moon pie and then you have to ruin it talking aboust pastes and salted eggs... When I hear cake I think cake batter and icing Tongue lol. On a side not, I'd still try one Smile

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Damaris, why was he sedated?

Mnm, wow you have a lot going on, hope your grandma is okay!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Dad on the run.

Wow... that's a lot of stuff. Well nvm then Tongue lol.

Leg pain really is such a downer though, I don't think anything depresses me as much as a leg injury.

I do the shred about 1-2 x a week.  It has various lunges and squats but not with weights.  I also do myrtls about once/week.  I just dont have time to add another thing to my routine!  I already run for about 45 mins then I do shin splint exercises, rolling before and after running, all the basic  leg, hip, calf, hamstring, quad, piriform stretches, 15 eccentric calf raises ea side, heel and toe walking, about 5 minutes of yoga down dog etc and then My daily plank.  How much more do I have to do!?!?  Seriously I barely have enough time for all that!  Im pretty sure I spend more time doing all that other crap then I do actually running! Angry Grrrr

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Damaris, why was he sedated?

Mnm, wow you have a lot going on, hope your grandma is okay!

Not sure if it was to put the catheter in or because he was being violent.  He bit someone.  Poor baby must be scared because he is so loving and quiet here.  Last time he woke up from surgery, he became violent too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page