Beginners and Beyond

2013 Evansville Half Marathon RR (Edited: Pics Added) (Read 90 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I slept well  last night, woke up just before 4:00 a.m and ate a cliff bar and a banana, and drank some coffee. I went back to bed until 5 which then I got up, got dressed and went for an easy 10-11 minute jog to loosen up. Got inside and started getting Dorian up, and then the husband and we were out the door and on the road by 6:05. Around 6:20 a.m, it started sprinkling.... so much for 10% chance.

The husband dropped me off at the school (where it starts) and I headed in to use the restroom one more time. The weather said only 10% up until 9 a.m so I just told myself a little drizzle won't hurt. I head to the 2:10 corral and we listen to the guy with the mic who tells us that if severe weather like lightning or horribly high winds I guess, appear then the race would be closed..... I didn't get to hear anything after that part as people started talking, all I could think about was if this race closed before I reached that finish line I would be beyond livid. After the prayer, the gun goes off and we are on our way.

I decided to keep a steady pace, not wanting to go out too fast or too slow in case I did have to stop at a port-a-potty.

Mile 1 - 9:39

Mile 2 - 9:15

Mile 3 - 9:11

Luckily the major hills were around the first 3 miles and done. I still felt good, then the rain came..... more than a drizzle but not awful. I wasn't ready for any gatorade or water so I kept going past the stops. I didn't think about the miles, or my garmin but just the people around me and that I wanted to finish this.

Mile 4 - 9:24

Mile 5 - 9:14

Mile 6 - 9:19

Still feeling good at this point, more than just a little rain though.... I was praying for no lightning when I heard the thunder, I wanted to finish this race as I had trained and prepared so hard for it. I saw DH at this point, sadly the dark weather and him not knowing my camera very well ended up no good photos from him so I'll have to wait until the race photographers get their photos up online. I was still feeling good, still doing good and praying for no lightning.

Mile 7 - 9:10

Mile 8 - 9:14

Mile 9 - 9:24

At this point my knees started to hurt, but I've ran with achy knees before I kept pushing along in a downpour..... wondering why the hell didn't I grab my hat but oh well and all that mattered was crossing that finish line faster than April's HM time..... though I was really wishing I had brought my MP3 player at this point, the voices in my head can be annoying.

Mile 10 - 9:20

Mile 11 - 9:55

My hips started to hurt, so both hips and knees were hurting bad and causing me to shorten my strides... I kept going, determined to finish at a good time damn it. Just before mile 12, I did stop at a port-a-potty, it wasn't a huge threat but it gave my knees and  hips a little rest and I no longer had gas afterwards Smile I did stop my garmin because I wanted to know the time I would lose stopping at the port-a-potty.

Mile 12 - 10:13

Mile 13 - 9:18

.1 - 7:57

I swear as I was crossing that finish line the sky began to clear up a little, and the rain was gone (Mother nature has a lot of humor). 

Official Chip Time: 2:04:48  with an average pace of 9:32 min/mile

Overall - 602/2,015

DIVPL - 25/164

SexPL - 220/1,181

Garmin Time: 2:03:18 

Even in this warm weather, the piss pouring rain I managed to shave another 16 minutes off of my St. Louis Half Marathon just 6 months ago. Not bad I must say, though I am not expecting any big difference next month at the Indianapolis Monumental Half, it just depends on my legs and if they recover completely from this race. Other than that, I feel great and accomplished, I got close to a sub 2 hour finish, and I know it is within my grasp.

Here are some pics:

Somewhere between mile 3 and 5.

Coming down the home stretch, and happy to see the finish.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Awesome job on such horrible conditions and with a stop. Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FS87 - a commendable performance and setting a 16 minute PR.  As someone who has run in the rain a lot here in Georgia, the hat may not make a physical difference in performance but it sure helps psychologically while running.  You gutted through issues and that  2 HR HM performance is nearer on the horizon.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Daves_Not_Here

A respectable time there FS...Good job (especially in spite of the weather). Smile

outoftheblue

Congrats on a big PR despite the nasty weather.  Well done!

Life is good.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

A 16 minute improvement in six months?!  HECK YES!  With better conditions, you will definitely have that sub 2:00 next time out. Well done.

SheCan

WTG you!  Congratulations on such a nice PR in harsh conditions!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Big grin, at one point I was praying for it to keep raining, and for the sun to not come out as I have been out running when that happens and the air is so hot and muggy.... I am hoping for November 2 to be cold. Anybody got any good ideas on how to dry out your race shoes? I really don't want to have to buy another pair and use these as training shoes........... but I will if I have to Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Antipodean

Great job, Free. You'll be under 2 hours in no time!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks! I hope so, I'm going to do my best to recover as quickly as possible between now and Indy so that hopefully with cooler weather I can beat this PR.

PRs

hog4life

I thought about you this morning as I was finishing my 15 mile LR. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate, but congrats on the 16 minute PR.

Take the inserts out of your shoes and they will air dry in a day or two. Sometimes I put mine in the laundry room too.

Well done.

Close enough that you can shoot for a sub-2 next!

Dave

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I think you've got time to recover, and it should definitely be cooler in Indy.  That's a great improvement, but I'm not going to be shocked if you finish even faster at Monumental.  Exciting stuff!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half, FreeSoul, especially in those conditions.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Little Blue

Nicely done!  Sub-2:00 is about 4 weeks away! Big grin