Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Donovan's Run St. Patrick's Day 5K (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO and SHORT REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

My 11th race of 2014, held on March 14, 2015 at University of the Incarnate Word.  8:30 a.m. start time, about 58 degrees,  low humidity and low dew-point, lots of blue sky and bright sunshine, a really beautiful morning.  Nice turnout for this event, considering there were about 3 or 4 other local area races held this morning too.  I ended up with a gun time of 35:04, chip time of 34:34 .  I did not place at all in my age group (60 - 69), the first five folks in my age group were all 30 minutes and under, sheesh; some speedy old men out there today! 

LONG REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

The race shirt participants got, nice tech tee, very nice design - from my pals at Huarache Turbo Shirts..

photo 001_zpsnxndf5qp.jpg

Arrived with about 40 minutes to go to start time.   Event was held on the campus of the University of the Incarnate Word, a very nice local university, with the team name of Cardinals.

photo 014_zpsegkx1nyr.jpg

These two officers were out there on duty for us today...thanks guys!

photo 002_zpspxyept7l.jpg

Our Race Directory, Terry, in his "Braveheart" kilt pose.....

photo 004_zps0tvrhfv6.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, supporters, et al.

The lady on the far right, my friend Catherine, is owner of local running store Run Wild..and her dog, Emma, is one of my pals.  The lady to Catherine's right, another friend, is Catherine's "sister".  She has a very good race coming up next month, the Fiesta Especial 5K, held during Fiesta San Antonio time.

photo 003_zpstuhovpjf.jpg

photo 007_zpspnzpbyzo.jpg

photo 008_zpsuhpig7jx.jpg

photo 009_zpsqea69a0j.jpg

My friend, Bob, on the far right.  Great guy, great sens of humor!  I think the movie "What Are We Going to Do About Bob?" was based on his life.... 

photo 010_zpscubnxw9g.jpg

photo 011_zpsiy3mnqfq.jpg

My friends from the Brak Pak....with Sally wearing her Green Bay Packers color leggings....

photo 012_zps8vwplz02.jpg

photo 013_zpsgh6qjcbe.jpg

OK, this kid in the front made me look bad on the course  ...he'd stop for a bit, run again...and kept passing me.  Finally I never saw him again...I think he beat me into the finish line quite handily.   He's a speedy little fellow!  Congrats!

photo 015_zps6t87bqzn.jpg

photo 016_zpslmo0eotu.jpg

photo 017_zpsshzovtbz.jpg

photo 018_zpsr4udwhjr.jpg

photo 019_zps93ye7y46.jpg

photo 020_zpsjmkc7nsa.jpg

photo 021_zpsyo2ukpef.jpg

photo 023_zpsr8h9eugo.jpg

Darn, this one came out a bit fuzzy...these ladies are actually quite more lovely than my poor camera skills can portray

photo 024_zpsgyomuqzf.jpg

Lot of green at the start area, as we get ready to go...

photo 025_zpsbyu8fqzu.jpg

photo 026_zpsvi5cbldt.jpg

photo 027_zps6y9a7omg.jpg

On the Course

Today was a different 5K route than the usual 5K route done on this campus, probably because of some ongoing renovations at the university.  It's not a bad course at all, but a bit narrow near the start area for a crowd.  Finishing was no problem as we were all spread out by then.  And this course took us onto the university's stadium track for a bit, which was interesting.  I did not mind doing this course at all but, personally, I like the older course a bit better as it is a bit 'roomier", allowing everyone to spread out a bit more.  Even so, this course was okay too, and I did not see anyone where I was at any given time getting knocked down, impeded, etc.

Part of the course was on some of the back woods trails on the campus;  very nice in here.

photo 028_zps7fhgvvxq.jpg

Where's Waldo?  Find all the runners in green among all that green... 

photo 029_zpswspckmut.jpg

photo 030_zpsbkctkuhu.jpg

photo 031_zpsaa6priot.jpg

photo 032_zps8biejvet.jpg

We did an out-and-back on part of the stadium track, which equaled almost a full 2 laps around it.

photo 033_zpsml7gea3j.jpg

photo 034_zpszj7vqihs.jpg

photo 035_zpsag06x1t2.jpg

photo 036_zpsunthvu6w.jpg

After doing our thing on the track, we eventually ended up on the other side of that red boundary banner on the left.

photo 037_zpsxxoqxwm6.jpg

photo 038_zpsk3akpvdn.jpg

Back the way we came and ended up back on the wooded trails, heading for the finish.

photo 039_zps8tqgs4nk.jpg

photo 040_zpsefo0sjb5.jpg

For most of the race, I was pretty much in the proximity of this pretty lady and her pretty friend...which helped motivate my old-man legs to keep moving forward...

photo 042_zpsn42cc3mv.jpg

And also around my motivating lovely friend, Sally..here she comes again....about a half-mile to go from here to the finish

photo 043_zps70jm7ngi.jpg

After the Finish

Irish Festival being held at the campus on March 14 and everyone with a race bib got free entry.   Some of the post-race goodies included funnel cakes....served up by two friendly guys....

photo 005_zpsbidlgvue.jpg

photo 006_zpsbkhqa70e.jpg

photo 051_zpsmk9lby7q.jpg

And Guiness (light and dark) and Harper's light ale, which I indulged in.  As you can see from this line that went past that black tent at the back, theses post-race drinks were the most popular item...

photo 047_zps4uezmvys.jpg

photo 048_zps5qpsrqsr.jpg

This guy enjoyed both Guinness and funnel cake post-race

photo 044_zpspvehoxda.jpg

Post-race, there were also pepperoni rolls, and all kinds of other good stuff...yeah, you will not go away hungry after this event if you are so inclined to indulge in any of the variety of goodies available.   And enjoyed with some good music:

photo 049_zpsdwq2x1fn.jpg

Most Green Person....the bearded gentleman with the green bows in his beard was the winner.

photo 066_zps5n0ros8z.jpg

Ugliest kilt or Irish shorts contest, winner judged by crowd applause.   My friend, Laura, on the far left, and the lady in the shorts tied for first and each got a prize.

photo 068_zpssaj06i9q.jpg

"Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 045_zpsc6fddzc1.jpg

photo 046_zpshjssskkf.jpg

photo 050_zpsm5v07wwq.jpg

photo 052_zps9dj4jdvn.jpg

photo 053_zpsc7xzh9jb.jpg

photo 054_zpsjw1obguc.jpg

photo 055_zpswmlmztpu.jpg

photo 056_zpsbhkybaav.jpg

photo 057_zpsrjzyof7k.jpg

photo 058_zpsqbnukatx.jpg

photo 059_zpsxlgcizyo.jpg

photo 060_zpssiljgnxu.jpg

photo 061_zpsnr1fuiuw.jpg

photo 062_zpsjxdjrovt.jpg

photo 063_zpsjsfggyzw.jpg

photo 064_zpsa4lhghe4.jpg

photo 065_zpst3piqzg0.jpg

photo 067_zpsx3kky3le.jpg

photo 069_zpsqxq5wnrt.jpg

My #1 running crush, Ceci...she is the one who designed the race shirt.  Her race company iaapweb.com also did the course set up, race results, and she took race photos.  Busy lady!   She and her partners always do a great job!

photo 070_zpsvsm8nupq.jpg

photo 071_zpsk7tlnubp.jpg

Epilog

Love this race, and I try to do it each year, if possible.   Sometimes I do get invites to other races on the same day that are a bit different and I have done a few of those; but Donovan's Run is the ORIGINAL San Antonio area St. Patrick's Day 5K and has been around the longest.  Always after the race, great food, great drinks, post-race music, door prizes, and lots of fun.  Definitely one to keep on the race calendar!  

Next up for me:  Shamrock Shuffle 5K, March 15, 2015.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

That looks really fun, and I love the shirts!  You fit right in with your green "I beat cancer" shirt.

Looks like a very good time.  The runners seemed in the spirit of the race and also partaking of the spirit afterwards.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun event.  Nice beer selection.  Your shirt matched perfectly.

LRB

That looks like a nice track to run on.

I see a beer in your hand is not the only thing that gets all 32 showing.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Lots of skirts to chase there, Scott   !!!!