Beginners and Beyond

Cross Country Running at State Park banned by DEM (Read 23 times)

ForceD

Oh this infuriates me. Sometimes government agencies do the stupidest things. Here in Rhode Island the Department of Environmental Management (DEM) has banned cross country (CC) practices and meets from one of the state parks. A park where CC meets and practices have been run for generations. The park's trails are ideal for running, and horseback riding. It's been the site of state CC championships many years. But somehow they (DEM) cite a conflict between CC, and the equestrian users of the park. So, they've opted to allow horses, but not people/CC runners. But people from both groups have stated there isn't, and never has been an issue. Here is a link to an article about it in today's Providence Sunday Journal sports page. And below is a link to an online petition to the director of the RI state DEM to continue allowing CC in the park. Sign it if you feel strongly about letting the kids run their CC practices and meets in the park. --

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/olive/ODN/ProJoApp/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=TPJ%2F2017%2F10%2F08&entity=Ar02703&sk=4C78712A&mode=text

Online petition:

https://www.change.org/p/janet-coit-tell-rhode-island-dem-to-let-our-kids-run-at-goddard

Dan

Running since March 1976

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I run mostly to see things, to explore places I don't know. And the places I do know,...then I get a sense of the weather, the shifting light, the seasonal changes; it can be pleasurable even when you hurl yourself into the teeth of nature." -- Ed Koren, Runner and Cartoonist for New Yorker magazine, 2006 interview for RW magazine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough...sprinters quit.