Beginners and Beyond

Hal Higdon Marathon Training Question (Read 37 times)

Runshortii

Hey everyone! So I have been loosely following the hal higdon intermediate 1 plan for my first marathon (Chicago) I have been following the long runs and weekly mileage guidelines, but have added some weekday miles here and there as well.  Anyway, so these last two weeks were a LR of 14 and 15 miles and total weekly mileage of 36 and 38.2 respectively.  Both of these being my longest weeks ever in terms of LR and weekly mileage.

This week is a scheduled cutback week with 26 miles on the Higdon schedule including 3 easy runs and then a HM race.  I raced a 10 miler about 5 weeks ago so I opted out of doing a HM this weekend, plus theres none around me, and I'm doing one the first weekend of September. I am however racing a 5K on Saturday.  So I guess my question is, I'm not really sure how my weekly mileage should look this week.  Do I keep it the same as far as 26 mpw and a 13 mile long run?  My other thought was to increase some of the weekly mileage, bring my total for the week up to 29 or 30, and shorten the long run a bit (10 or 11 miles?) My thought for Saturday was a 2 mile warm up, 5K and then 2 mile cool down....but this is my first go at marathon training, and actually following a real plan, ever lol. So if anyone has any input I would appreciate it! Just not sure if I should keep the cutback week the same, or alter the LR since I'm not doing a HM race.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You'll get some divergent opinions on this, many suggesting ways to add a longer cool down after your 5K, but I think that focuses too much on mileage and downplays or ignores effort. I'd keep the weekdays as scheduled, then on race day do your normal 5K warm up, race, and cool down without trying to get extra mileage in to fit Higdon's plan.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Do I keep it the same as far as 26 mpw and a 13 mile long run?  My other thought was to increase some of the weekly mileage, bring my total for the week up to 29 or 30, and shorten the long run a bit (10 or 11 miles?) My thought for Saturday was a 2 mile warm up, 5K and then 2 mile cool down....

Any of these options should be fine. A couple miles here & there will not make a big difference. Don't stress about it too much.

Dave

onemile

when I used this plan I did do a long run the day after a 5k race, but I'm not sure I would still do that.

I think it's okay to skip the LR one week or just see how you feel and then decide

bluerun

Super B****

If I were following a plan, I'd keep the mileage the same.  So it would be, say, two miles before the race, 5K, and then the remainder of the miles for the long run after that.  (Unless I feel like the race just took too much out of me, I'd probably cut the post-race miles short if that happened.)

But I wouldn't listen to me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog