Beginners and Beyond

Just set that down next to the Thursdailies (Read 314 times)

Jenven

Jenven: I love that 30 minute runs are easy peasy for you nowadays!

13 miles on tap for tonight.

It's crazy. I remember after doing the first day of C25K (alternating 90 second runs) and I thought, "Man. This shit is no joke."  Starting this weekend, I'm going to runs on both Saturday and Sunday. I really need to pick up the pace if I want to do the Resolution Run on January 1st and the Hot Chocolate 5k on January 13th.

And you're all, "Oh hey, I'm going to train tonight by running a half-marathon distance. No big deal." AWESOME!

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Was just too tired to run up Bertha today so I ran around her twice. 4.1 miles. It was a beautiful day and I quite enjoyed myself.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Just a 3.5 mile, easy pace, 9:07 overall. Included 0.1 mile sprint at around 7 mm, give or take. Hard to get a good read on such a short 0.1 mile sprint with the garmin. I've got a bit of a streak going, but it's probably going to end this weekend due to work.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

Vegas inquiries: Start temp is 71, fuck. I started coughing last night but breathing is at 450 which is 50 points more than for berlin. Let's hope the plane ride won't damage. I come back Monday. No time for vacation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jess runs for bacon

Vegas inquiries: Start temp is 71, fuck. I started coughing last night but breathing is at 450 which is 50 points more than for berlin. Let's hope the plane ride won't damage. I come back Monday. No time for vacation.

Good luck Damaris!!!

Gah. My post is toast. I don't know how to break text into paragraphs. 

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey guys.  I got 12.36 in this morning at about the easiest pace I'm capable of.  It was a good exercise in that it gave me some time to really concentrate on just feeling my body and not think about paces or any of that other stuff.  Interestingly, I think I've been tensing the muscles in my right foot when I've been running, which I'm guessing could have something to do with some of my feet trouble (I've ruptured both my plantar fascia).  Anyway, I really focused on relaxing my foot (in addition to thinking about what I'd do if I won the PowerBall money haha) and it felt pretty good .  I'll be curious to see if I can maintain that in some of my faster workouts.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

runmomto3boys

Jenven:  It's all relative, though!  Betchya in a few months, you will be dropping "off for 8" or "I have 12 on tap for today" in the dailies like it's nobody's business.  You are killing it!

Tom: What's your streak at?? 

Lori: Nice job covering Bertha.  Truth?  I don't know what that even means.  I've seen you say it many times.  Can you explain???? I assume it's a mountain or something by you?

Damaris: Still that high at the start?  Bah.  Yay to the breathing, though.  FX it stays that way! 

SIAR: Niiiice.  I want to hear what the "easiest pace [you are] capable of" is.  What, 8:?x?

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

RMTB...It was a blissful trot - that's all I'm sayin'.

Jenven...Good luck with adding in that extra day.  I felt like my running really started to improve when I ran on consecutive days, even if I was still only running 3 or 4 days a week.

Bertha...You and Bertha must have some real history together huh?  I can't really run around here without hills, but there are a few that probably deserve that moniker and are therefore used sparingly ha.

RunTom...It's tough to let those streaks go once they've been building huh?  Nice job adding a little pickup with your run.

Docket...Good luck with everything!  I got my picture figured out on that other thread, finally.

Basya...I can't figure out how to get spaces in a post from an ipad, it drives me nuts (RWOL did the same thing)

I just finished reading a great article in the local paper about an area runner.  She's a high school senior that lost her vision in 8th grade, but is able to run on the school's cross country team with the help of her guide dog.  She also said the dog gets kinda grumpy if they don't get to run every day, ha. 

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

StepbyStep-SH

Shorts, long sleeves, gloves and headband was the perfect outfit for my run! Had a good 6.66 miles at a 9:12 average pace. I made it a fartlek run with just over a half-mile at 8:20 (half-mile recovery), a half-mile at 8:00 (half-mile recovery), and a quarter-mile at 7:30. Felt good to feel those paces, but reinforced that my 5-mile race on Saturday will probably be run at closer to my normal half-marathon pace than my 5-mile pace, because I was having to work to hold the 8:00 pace for a full half-mile.

Of course, that is all assuming I can even move on Saturday - the strength class instructor decided today was booty day! Side squats, curtsy lunges, weighted hip dips and weighted donkey kicks, plus some other glute/hamstring stuff I don't remember. Gonna hurt tomorrow!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Just got back from my follow-up with the surgeon & I'm cleared to do low-impact-type stuff...yaaaayyy!  I can hit the elliptical and after another week to let the incision finish healing I can swim.  Which I guess means I should re-learn how to swim.  Still 6 total weeks until running, though.  

One interesting thing he told me was (he'd told my husband this after I came out of the surgery but I vaguely remember it all) that when he got me into the operating room he realized that my hernia was epigastric, and apparently was a type cause by activity instead of an inherent weakness.  He said "all my patients who have epigastric hernias are some kind of crazy athlete...a triathlete, a weightlifter, a marathoner..."   Heh heh heh...so as much as surgery sucked, I was at least left with a feeling of being a little bit badass (yep, Damaris!) & having "earned" my hernia.  Ha.  

When I asked him if I needed to do anything to prevent another, though, he responded with "no, just go on living your life!" 

flippy - yes, the semester is a-l-m-o-s-t over, isn't it??  I hear ya on the school work.  I'm taking evening pre-req classes for a master's program I'm applying to & it has really eaten into my running time.  Luckily I figured out that recording my professors and listening to them during runs is an effective way to study for me.

jenven - I remember feeling exactly the same way about everyone else running crazy distance when I was a beginner.  Before you know it, you're going to blink and you'll be at the same point, where 8 miles is a super easy day.

rmtb - speaking of crazy distances - hope you enjoyed that 13! 

Damaris - Good luck & have fun!  Where are you staying?  On the strip?  

Basaya - I have the same problem with no paragraphs in my post sometimes.  I think maybe it's only on the ipad/iphone for me.  ???  not sure.

Angela 

Docket_Rocket

Yes, Angela.  I'm staying at the Aria or Aida or something like that.  Newer hotel on the strip.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

RMT3B & SIARunner - the streak is only 4 days long, so it's not a bit deal. I did run 6 of the last 7, but I was in no condition to run after my nephew's wedding so Sunday was a rest day. I've had longer streaks, though a lot less mileage. During last year's Holiday Running Competition (Van ran that one, I think), I had something like a 9 day streak, though many of those days were 1 mile in length.

I'm not involved in any contests this year, but I am aiming to keep my base up and work on my speed a bit. My next race (if they haven't cancelled it) is a 4 mile run on New Years Eve. After that, it's the Gate River Run in Jacksonville on March 9. Might squeeze a 5K in between somewhere if I happen upon one when I don't have to work. I want to be ready for another half or two next year, but it all depends on scheduling at this point.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

PS - Damaris, good luck in Vegas!

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Lori: Nice job covering Bertha.  Truth?  I don't know what that even means.  I've seen you say it many times.  Can you explain???? I assume it's a mountain or something by you?

I'm curious too!

Angela