Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Red Run Spa Day 5K and 10K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.  And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos. Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

My 15th race of 2016 done on Feb 28th was the Red Run Spa Day 5K and 10K put on by Carrera Races, a very good local race management company, with course set-up, timing and results provided by iaapweb.com, another very good local race management company. Race venue was O. P. Schnabel Park in San Antonio. I did the 5K. My legs were feeling a bit the 5K I’d done on Feb 27th so I slowed down a bit for this one, taking a few more on-course photos and one more walk break than I normally do for a 5K. Even so, in my age group of 60-69, I managed to finish first – there were only 2 in my age group, lol – with a chip time of 35:36 “winning out” over my fellow age group runner by 22 seconds.

I tend to go a bit “camera crazy” when I am at these events and never really know how many photos I’ve taken until I get home; but it is usually a lot of photos! Which makes my reports a bit long at times, when included with my commentary on various photos. This event is no exception. So if you’d rather just see photos only without my comments, you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:

BEFORE THE START

My wife the Scentsy Consultant

photo 008_zpsdv4uppuf.jpg

Some of the pre-start participants, volunteers, supporters, vendors, etc.

My buds at Run Wild Sports...a bit blurry long-distance

photo 001_zpsmxzy5w9e.jpg

There you are!

photo 002_zps5kcc8fbq.jpg

photo 004_zpsokalkw9c.jpg

photo 005_zps9p4rzjju.jpg

photo 006_zpsfh0ukkc3.jpg

photo 007_zpswiz7duci.jpg

photo 009_zps4yyjwwag.jpg

photo 010_zpsxkkcsk5v.jpg

photo 011_zpsi5eisnc3.jpg

photo 012_zpsxntcj361.jpg

photo 013_zps9lk9jbph.jpg

photo 014_zps3sh8wv1c.jpg

photo 015_zpshmivblqa.jpg

My friend Minni and her 'little brother..."

photo 016_zps4nilwcrf.jpg

Race Director, Virginia, of Carrera Races

photo 017_zpsjgfx3bli.jpg

photo 018_zpskrntdjtv.jpg

photo 019_zpsqi8obatk.jpg

photo 020_zpscwujwgnb.jpg

photo 022_zpsckjkg0wu.jpg

photo 023_zpsqi7k2grh.jpg

photo 024_zps5ystwmvm.jpg

photo 025_zpsptsbz7pp.jpg

photo 026_zpsfp8z3srp.jpg

photo 027_zpstfcwzziz.jpg

photo 030_zpswikfzsnu.jpg

photo 032_zpsxetp2pjt.jpg

photo 033_zpsq4vml32d.jpg

Getting ready to go...ahead of me and behind me...

photo 034_zpsnitoserj.jpg

photo 036_zpsvyekdqmp.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The Carrera 5K course at this park is a bit hilly in places. Start/finish is near one of the parking lots in the park. We go up a paved trail incline to one of the park pavilions, make a right that takes us on a down incline to a fairly steep hill. Down this hill, then onto another paved trail – with a few short but ‘you can feel it in your legs” inclines to a turn-around point; and then the course in reverse to the finish – which meant that short steep downhill and downhill incline on the way out was now one long uphill on the way back, right up to the pavilion we had passed on the way out; at that point the last part of the course now became, thankfully, a downhill to the finish. The 10K folks had to go out a bit farther for their turn-around. A bit of a challenging course, but also nice, with lots of shade trees, river to our left on the way out and to our right on the way back. O.P. Schnabel also has several off-road trails; and the paved trails – part of San Antonio’s ‘greenway system” go a pretty long way out, some even connecting with other trails in the system, so this park is a pretty nice place to get in a run, walk, bike ride, etc.

On the way to the turn-around point

photo 037_zpskmauphe7.jpg

photo 038_zpsbg44wt6w.jpg

photo 039_zpsnwexyqwm.jpg

photo 040_zpsno2y5wpn.jpg

photo 041_zps2uax1tw6.jpg

photo 042_zpsobn2ugqj.jpg

Made the turn-around, now heading back to the finish

photo 043_zpslqd818wn.jpg

photo 044_zpsks6q6ifd.jpg

photo 045_zpspo4knbef.jpg

photo 046_zpsv7vnoahx.jpg

photo 047_zps0gmdzncr.jpg

photo 048_zps7m7sdua6.jpg

photo 049_zpswu1np26z.jpg

photo 050_zpsveto7gyk.jpg

photo 053_zpszraep6nn.jpg

Let the up inclines and 3-part hill begin on the way to the finish

photo 051_zpsjf3jrxii.jpg

photo 052_zps0qskwdli.jpg

photo 054_zpsapabcpa7.jpg

photo 055_zpsq3y6ifpz.jpg

Steep hill, Part 1

photo 056_zpsqhtpy9j5.jpg

And part 2

photo 057_zpsng2wiofk.jpg

photo 058_zps3imbiy8o.jpg

And Part 3

photo 059_zps91mqa1ij.jpg

After that a long uphill incline to a park pavilion; left turn and downhill to the finish.   Done!

photo 073_zpsikyfgck6.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

I got some water and then went and sat at one of the picnic tables just chillin’ for a bit. Then it was off to take post-race photos of the “Happy Finishers”, supporters, volunteers, vendors, etc.

First, though, checked out some of the goodies...

Party space

photo 084_zpslittv23y.jpg photo 031_zps0bxjhczz.jpg

Yay for beer from Black Lab Brewing Company - named for their black lab dog.  Nice!

photo 064_zpszrgkgxrp.jpg

Keep pouring!

photo 085_zpsnk6sxvwf.jpg

Yeah, beer!

photo 066_zpsd8sd7e4s.jpg

Thank you guys!

photo 086_zpsyocgopxm.jpg

Sausage wraps...

photo 077_zps49nlfkge.jpg

photo 078_zpszbs9whyv.jpg

And then some of the people....  

photo 060_zps5xgu2ic8.jpg

photo 061_zpsv8lb7qmq.jpg

These ladies were nice enough to give me one of those 'wavy thingys' on the table; or..."how to drive your cat crazy with a new toy." 

photo 062_zpssdt02wuy.jpg

photo 063_zpswwbbi6go.jpg

photo 071_zpsq4fdo8kh.jpg

photo 067_zps2ahgggv5.jpg

photo 068_zpsp2bpuafm.jpg

photo 069_zpswvwpolh1.jpg

photo 070_zpsmfvguoff.jpg

Lana and Mini doing results.  The dog is supervising, making sure they get it right.

photo 072_zpsei4qkusk.jpg

photo 074_zps9vshe6fs.jpg

photo 075_zpswhxcr8uv.jpg

photo 076_zpsicdpfa2g.jpg

I'm with her...I needed a nap after this course too.

photo 079_zpsytl4rais.jpg

photo 080_zpszp8oxl9b.jpg

photo 081_zpssiwqfus7.jpg

photo 082_zpsacyavemm.jpg

photo 083_zpskqa9zan9.jpg

photo 087_zpscnrgzkhp.jpg

photo 088_zpshdrnjdeq.jpg

photo 089_zps1a7sdanf.jpg

photo 090_zpsenaptbnv.jpg

Me and my fellow 60 - 69 age group guy, whom I just barely managed to finish ahead of by 22 seconds.  Super nice guy, I see him at various local events that I do over the year.

photo 091_zpsazirv2cb.jpg

photo 092_zpsmzmjrxpa.jpg

photo 093_zps7c74yj0r.jpg

photo 094_zpsboaziyp9.jpg

Why isn't this lovely  and speedy young lady on a Runners World cover? 

photo 095_zpsfefviybt.jpg

photo 096_zpsihizkvva.jpg

Me and one of my favorite people, Race Director Virginia

photo 097_zps20chtmzp.jpg

photo 099_zps8tcylgzo.jpg

And finally, right before I left for home, I got a photo with these lovely young ladies.  Cuz, you know, that's how we old men make ourselves look good, hang with lovely ladies.     One of the many reasons I married my own lovely lady 31 years ago...I knew as we got older, she'd stay beautiful and make me look good when I was beside her.... see?

photo 029_zps6tzzagkz.jpg

EPILOGUE

Love Carrera Races! My experience with their events has always been good and they also throw one heck of an after party, with lots of post-race goodies. I don’t exclusively do Carrera Races events, but I do a darn lot of them during the year and have never regretted it. Definitely would recommend one of their races to my fellow runners/walkers.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, law enforcement, sponsors, vendors, etc. – all the people who made this one happen for we participants. Y’all dun good for us!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the AG. Looks like a fun race. I am always in awe of what seems like endless parks near you. And the post race spreads!