Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins Make Friends (Read 24 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

February 11 is Make A Friend Day!

PADRunner

Morning Scotty

6 done this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have my allergy shot today, Pilates and 8 with 4 at tempo.  Hoping the shot does not screw up my run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Still having beautiful weather in San Antonio, up to 68 degrees today.  A nice 3 to 4 miles on trails planned after work today.    Gotta enjoy the nice weather while I can.  We have a cold front moving in on Thursday and the temp will drop all the way down to - GASP! -  40 degrees with a High of ONLY 61, oh no!    Here is our 7-day forecast...doncha feel sorry for me? 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Scott, Pad, and Docket.  Easy inside run planned for this afternoon.    Then DD offered to take us out for dinner since she is staying in a suburban hotel for meetings.   Must be on an expense account Wink

Zelanie

800s are done, yay!  Not much further than the 600s, which was mentally nice.  I still have trouble pacing that second 200m section, the rest was pretty good I think.  Today I have an evening event at school and need to run 6-8 easy after that since I bailed on my run on Monday.

I have to say that we were a bit of a sorry lot since I had to make a pit stop after the first one, and my RP after the 5th. 

Oh, and Mitch, I know what you're saying about the mental energy.  I yelled at asked a woman nicely to move her bag after she plonked it down in lane one right at the finish line as I was coming around, and it took me about half a lap to get back on pace.

D- I'm still not registered for anything, but I think I'm going to do a 10-mile race in March.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm glad we got through the flurries, windiness, and frigidness of yesterday!  Of course it's supposed to be windy and frigid again today, but what else can you expect from February?  Quartet rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!!  We have a gig next week, so we're working through as much of our repertoire as possible.  

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6!!  (woo-hoo for your 6, woo-hoo for your 6, woo-hoo for your 6 ...)

Docket -- Good luck getting shot!!

Scotty -- Yeah, you've got it rough, weather-wise!!  That's ok, Mother Nature will zap you in summer!!

Jerryb -- have a good easy inside run!!  And enjoy dinner!!

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for your 800's!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Scotty - cute pic

PAD - nice job on the 6

DR - good luck with the allergy shot - hopefully it doesn't mess up your run

Jerry - have fun at dinner

Zel - nice job on the speed workout

HsM - have fun at rehearsal

Morning all.  I have a 50 minute tempo run (Higdon style) scheduled for today.  I might just swap out and do some number of easy miles because my spine is really unhappy with me today.  My dog took me trekking out on the weird compacted ice yesterday morning and though I didn't fall I think that trying not to fall hurt me (if that makes sense).  In any case, lots of yoga is certainly called for.  I should probably take some NSAIDs but I've been trying to avoid them.  I've got the most lovely smelling (not) icy hot on there now.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Saph, maybe an easy workout is just the thing actually. I try not to take nsaids either but I do take an old school aspirin now and then.

GinnyinPA

sapf - I absolutely understand how working to keep from falling can hurt you worse than a fall.  BTDT  Maybe a hot bath would help?

Scotty - enjoy your trail run this evening.  Our highs this week are 41 (today), 35, 23, 35, 15 !!!, 22, 32, and 30.  I'm going to be doing a lot of running on the TM, because I hate running when it's that cold.

PAD - good job on the early six.

D - good luck with the allergy shot.  I hope it doesn't affect your evening workouts.

Jerry - good luck with the indoor run.  I'm sure you'll enjoy dinner with your daughter.

Z - good luck with your night run.  I really admire your dedication.  After teaching all day and then meetings in the evening, I don't think I'd have the energy (or desire) to go run.

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal.  Where are you singing next week?

AFM:  I have 8 on the schedule, so I think I'll run to town and have DH pick me up at the library.  I have a weird thing going on with my left leg - top of the calf, almost behind the knee.  Not pain, exactly, not tightness, but kind of a mixture of both.  Twingy.  I think I'll bring the phone, just in case.

hog4life

7.4 easy miles that extremely tuff due to yesterday's intervals.

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal.  Where are you singing next week?

It's a retirement facility.  Those are always fun, because people know our songs and they're not afraid to sing along or clap!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm glad we got through the flurries, windiness, and frigidness of yesterday!  Of course it's supposed to be windy and frigid again today, but what else can you expect from February?  Quartet rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!!  We have a gig next week, so we're working through as much of our repertoire as possible.  

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6!!  (woo-hoo for your 6, woo-hoo for your 6, woo-hoo for your 6 ...)

Docket -- Good luck getting shot!!

Scotty -- Yeah, you've got it rough, weather-wise!!  That's ok, Mother Nature will zap you in summer!!

Jerryb -- have a good easy inside run!!  And enjoy dinner!!

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for your 800's!!

Well, that sounds depressing!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge