Beginners and Beyond

Pre-family overload Wednesday penguins (Read 23 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Good morning! Merry Xmas Eve to those who celebrate. I'm planning 30 minutes of running before going to Xmas Eve celebrations with a bunch of friends. I learned last year that I enjoy the season a lot more if I don't do all family all the time.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have Pilates and weights, maybe a run to and from depending on what time I get home from work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning, 5 down this morning. Groceries and such today. Feet by the fire tonight.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Christmas Eve.  I am working until noon today.  At least they brought Dunkin Donuts.  Then I'll do my 1 mile streak run unless DW makes me go farther.  Still have to wrap some presents.  It will be a quiet Christmas Eve as DD1/hubby are going to the in laws.  She gets pizza and we are having prime rib.  LOL..

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am off work for the next 5 days...yay!

I don't like cold weather and so I think Mother Nature hates me:

• Did a run/walk at Randolph Air Force base yesterday around 2 PM.   The temperature dropped to about 46 - not bad - but the darn wind starting blowing 15 mph with gusts up to 20 mph!  Could really feel it when I was running into it!  I had planned on doing an easy 3 miles, but Mother Nature and her wind got me annoyed so I shook my fist at the sky and shouted "Damn you, wind, I am going to do FOUR miles just to spite you!"  Felt kinda like that crazy guy in 'Network", lol, shouting out about not taking it anymore.  Probably a good thing none of the military police folks were around on patrol at that time to see  that, they might've taken me right to the military looney bin for evaluation, lol.  Ended up with 4.2 miles!  Take THAT, Mother Nature!
                • Guess she did not listen cuz the temp has dropped even more and now it's about 40 degrees, with a 'feels like' of 38 and that darn wind is still blowing!  I am heading to Lackland Air Force Base in just a bit to get in 3 easy miles - and I will stick with 3 today - with a couple of friends.   Temp is actually supposed to go up to 51 degrees this afternoon - and in the 60s tomorrow, nice! - but all the gyms at the base are closing early today, so we have to get our run in before the afternoon.

So once more of braving the wind!  Of course, nothing like what you "real winter' folks experience, but considering it was 70 flippin' degrees on Monday, this is quite a temp drop for us here.  And for my run today, I am wearing running SHORTS, not long pants, and a base layer shirt with another shirt over that.   So not a total "cold" weather wimp, right?  Of course, LRB and Baboon would probably be wearing singlets in this kind of weather. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

Merry Christmas Eve Penguins! Got 3.25 miles done this a.m. DS is home from school and I am working on dinner for tonight (seafood bisque casserole) and breakfast for tomorrow (cinnamon rolls). I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

GinnyinPA

Merry Christmas everyone.

obiebyke - enjoy your party this evening.  I hope you have a good run first.  I agree, it's a good idea to get breaks from family sometimes.  Walking Ben is always a good excuse, when I need one, to get some quiet time.

Scotty - shaking your fist at the weather ;-)- good job on the 4 miles yesterday and the three today. .

D - Enjoy your gym time today.

PAD - good job on the early 5.  A fire will probably feel very nice tonight.

Jerry - good luck on the streak run.  Are you getting snow tonight?  Enjoy the prime rib.

Stonefence - cinnamon rolls sound good.  They'll make the whole house smell wonderful.

AFM:  I haven't run yet, though Ben got his walk.  I'm having a hard time feeling motivated. Pie is in the oven and later I'll bake muffins for breakfast tomorrow. Pork roast for dinner - not traditional, but the leftovers travel well.  We leave tomorrow on our journey south to a wedding in Florida. We'll take our time, as usual, camping on the way.  I'm not sure how much running I'll manage, especially over the next few days.  Sometimes I do well when we travel, but other trips I don't even get a decent walk every day.  Once we're in Florida, we don't usually drive very far each day, so I'll have more time to run and walk.

Merry Christmas Eve Penguins!

I'm finally at a point today that I can breathe. I started the day early with my streak mile and weight workout, they dove right into the kitchen to finish cookie plates, soup, and last minute wrapping. I'm still in my workout clothes!

Now it's off to get me ready for our family gathering later this afternoon. All 5 kiddos, spouses and 7 grand-kids. My house looks so festive with presents piled under the tree. Give it a couple hours before the paper explosion!

Well, have to rush off, but wanted to make sure to wish everyone a wonderful Christmas Eve.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

Morning!  6.2 done in 40 degrees and raining.  Actually a pretty nice run.

Scotty- Congrats on the weight loss!  Your back must be loving that!

Ginny- Hope you have a good trip and find a safe place to walk and run in Fl!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Great news, our Christmas Eve snow was cancelled.  Feeling like a Scrooge.

3.5 for us.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I'm on Team 1 for 2015. Anyone else?

I'm going out for a few easy miles, we'll see. Then it's shower and nap time.

Oh, remember the bathroom fan I mentioned? It has now turned into a new shower door, new paint, new lighting fixtures, new crown moulding, and of course, the fan. Sigh...

Merry Christmas.

on my way to badass

Jack K.- you da man!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

Jack, are you coming over here next?