Beginners and Beyond

It's Finally Friday, Penguins! (Read 27 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Goood morning Gustav!

I need coffee, BAD.  LOL  I am not sleeping well.  I keep going over my interview I have coming up Monday.  I'm excited, not fearful at all.  Nervous, yes, but I'm going to rock it.  It will boil down to not if I'm qualified or not but whether or not I will run the show like they want.  I've been studying up also, local statistic, legislation, budgets, etc etc.  Sooo... all that translates to a lot of figures and such bouncing around in my head.  I even took melatonin last night and it only helped mildly.  I may try to sneak in 3 o 4 on the dreadmill later but tomorrow is my long run and it looks like it will also be on the dreadmill.  We shall see.

Have an awesome day fellow penguins... I know I'm going to!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

N-Bug - hopefully a good run will help you relax

Scotty - hope things are going well for your niece.

Damaris - that coworker who is causing you problems - can you just put them in a headlock and give them a noogie?!

Hmmm.. I am getting a different a  perspective on training from the cycling community. Seems that according to what I want to do, intensity touts duration whether on the trainer or on the road. So last night was my most intense workout I have done - legs advance from fried to scrambled state.

Also had a good time at karaoke last night!

Full speed ahead to the weekend Penguins!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, thanks for starting. High intensity followed by karaoke. Well done!

Vance, good luck with the interview. You'll rocked it.

SRD for me today. Cleaned up pretty much I wanted. Lots of clothings to donate. Bought some decorations for home too.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!!!

Don't know what's on tap for me today. I am bringing my yoga clothes to work in case I can make my class that I can get to if I am done work at the usual time I'm done on Fridays,  but I have something going on at work that may cause me to have to work an hour later than usual and not make the class. If that happens I will go to they gym after work and take a yoga class tomorrow.

Last night I tried a new ITB rehab/ hip strengthening routine. I like it, and I think I will alternate it with myrtle:

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

Have a great Friday!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Gustav, Vance, Bin and Kristin.  Good luck with the interview Vance.  You will crush it.

Inside run this morning with DW, with a fast run to and from the car at 1k pace.

Have a great weekend !!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  For some reason the thread list is screwed up on my computer this morning, so it took me a while to find you, guys.

5 miles done this morning and more miles tonight.  Hope everybody has a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RickDecker

Good Morning!

I'm new to the forums.  I've been lurking here (and RWOL) since before the RWOL spam-a-thon.  I decided to start posting in the Penguin daily thread because I'm slow and I'm beginning to worry that I may be losing my motivation.  I have been running for about two years, and January was not good for me in terms of mileage.  I am hoping it was just the bad weather, but it might be that I am getting tired of running.  Hopefully, by posting and participating in the dailies thread and joining the miles game, I will have an easier time holding myself accountable, especially during the Winter months.

So anywho, today is a SRD.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Welcome!!!

Good Morning!

I'm new to the forums.  I've been lurking here (and RWOL) since before the RWOL spam-a-thon.  I decided to start posting in the Penguin daily thread because I'm slow and I'm beginning to worry that I may be losing my motivation.  I have been running for about two years, and January was not good for me in terms of mileage.  I am hoping it was just the bad weather, but it might be that I am getting tired of running.  Hopefully, by posting and participating in the dailies thread and joining the miles game, I will have an easier time holding myself accountable, especially during the Winter months.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Friday!  Our network at work yesterday went down for several hours, so we got to go home early, and no leave charged either, it was 'admin time", nice, since we could not do any work through no fault of our own.   So I took advantage of that and went over to the university gym and got a nice lunch-time run/walk in.  3.3 miles in the 45 degree weather.  As I had planned to run after work when the temp was going to be 68, I had brought my singlet to run in. It was a little chilly running in a singlet at 45 degrees with a wind blowing, but the day was nice and sunny, so as long as I kept moving I felt fine.       Today is a rest day, but still busy for me.  Will be leaving work early to attend a medal ceremony for a military friend of mine and then will go pick up my race packet for my 5K tomorrow morning.

Sorry you are not sleeping well, Vance, must be the nervous excitement!  Use the 'upcoming big race" method and get lots of sleep on Saturday, two nights before your 'big event"  to make up for that nervousness you'll probably have on Sunday night when you probably won't get much sleep on the night before.  Good luck!

Thanks, Gustav, the niece is doing much better.  Still in the hospital, but they are now talking about when they can move her out if ICU to a 'regular' ward, so that's good news. Hopefully, she will continue to recover.  You are very brave, doing karaoke!   I can't sing a lick, so when I do karaoke, I have to do the 'talking songs", lol...like "Wild Thing", and so forth.

Enjoy the SRD, Bin.  Glad you got everything all cleaned up.

Hope you make it for yoga class, Kristin!  If not, hope you are able to get some kind of workout in.

Enjoy your inside run today, Jerry!  Fast run to and from the car?  So you are car-racing?  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Welcome to the Igloo, Rick!

Good Morning!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Hi Rick and welcome, you'll get plenty of motivational help here.

Vance, good luck on the interview.

Scotty, glad to hear the niece is doing a little better.

I'm about to head out for some easy miles, maybe 5 or so.

From the Internet.

Hi all/welcome Rick!

2.6 miles for me this AM, 3.3 total with warmup and walk breaks (did 0.75, 0.75, 1.1 - still trying to make sure I don't get fatigued and fall into shin-splint-inducing form). Didn't feel great, and of course every slightly bad run from here on out is going to make me worry about injury again :/ Oh well, all I can do at this point is ice, stretch, and keep up with my PT routine, and remember that some soreness is to be expected when I'm building back to distances I haven't seen for a month or two.

Home today to clean and move out old furniture. We're getting a bedroom set and dining room table from DH's grandmother's house tomorrow to replace the mismatched, beat-up stuff we've been using for the last several years - ah, the joys of being students!

Zelanie

Hello everyone!  It was a year ago today that I started Couch to 5K.  I ran/walked 1.31 miles in 18:30.  I was hoping to build up so I could run 3 miles, 3 times a week to supplement my exercise.

Instead, a year later I am training for my first HM, and am scheduled to run 36 miles this week!  I am off today because I have a couple of appointments, so I will head out for my LR in a few.  Still have some DOMS from the run on Wed. plus gym yesterday, but hoping that clears up with my warm up.

Vance- It sounds like you have prepared yourself well for the interview- greet job!  You will have the whole igloo behind you on Monday.

Gustav- I think there is that school of thought in some runners, too.  At least if you judge by the people I see on the treadmill all the time sprinting and stopping, over and over again, with a total run of maybe 15 minutes.  Hope your legs feel better.

Bin- Sounds like a good day!

kristin- Glad you found a new routine you like!

Jerry- Glad you got to/from the car safely!

D- Enjoy the double!

Rick- Welcome!

Scotty- Yay for extra time off!

Mitch- Hope the easy miles go well!

Bin Running

Welcome, Rick!

scotty, good news abt Gail's niece.

Mel, well done. You had come a long way. Keep it up.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar