Beginners and Beyond

Knock knock! Who's there? Tuesday Penguins!! (Read 18 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Because y'all got all quiet in yesterday's thread, so I got a little loopy all by myself.  See what happens when you leave me alone for too long??

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

What, no jokes in here with that title?

Ok. What do you call a woman who sets her bills on fire?

Bernadette.  

Singer who runs a smidge

What do you call a fish with no eyes?

FSH!!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Moring HsM and Zel :-)

Getting dressed and heading to central park to meet a friend for a short run.  I'm finally trying out my sparkle skirt which I sorta had forgotten about during training because I'm special.  Depending on how it feels today I may wear it on race day.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Hi HopesMom and Z.

Jill - I hope your short run was a good one.  I suppose at this point, anything under 10 feels pretty easy.  Have you raced in the sparkle skirt before?

Tonight is the social run, but since it's supposed to start raining around 5:00 I'm not sure whether I'll go.  It's not so much that I mind running in the rain, as that I don't think I'll want to sit around a restaurant drinking beer if I'm soaked.  OTOH< given the usual accuracy of our local forecasts, it may be still dry then.

Zelanie

My sparkle skirt is super trustworthy on race day!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The sparkle skirt was okay.  I'll make a game time decision.  I'm sure with lots of aquaphor and body glide I'll probably be fine.

My GPS watch wigged out today - couldn't lock signal for about 8 minutes into my run.  That doesn't usually happen so... maybe I'll forgive it.  Or maybe I'll impulse buy a new watch =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

I was at a deposition all day yesterday, Hope, but you made me laugh!

I took today off only to be awaken by work with a call at 8am.  Ran then and have Pilates tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I was listening to Spanish music earlier in hopes of staying awake.  Fixing to switch over to the Crouching Tiger soundtrack.  Things aren't looking good for staying awake through seminar later ...

Philliefan33

Here in CNY to visit the parents. I found a trail for a short run this afternoon. It was a nice 2.8 miles through the woods, but some parts were muddy. Overall much slower than my usual slow pace, but I guess that happens when you are dodging roots and slipping in mud. Tomorrow is predicted to be windy and rainy, but it's a RD for me anyway.

GinnyinPA

Margo - I find I'm a minute or two slower on trails than on roads, even when the trail isn't that difficult.  I think the difference is you can't keep even length strides as you dodge the roots and rocks.

The rain held off so I did my run with the Beer Runners group.  It was the first time I needed my light to see the sidewalks, but it went well as we mostly ran through a college campus that was well lit and had wide sidewalks.  I tend to push myself a bit with the group, trying to keep up with the people ahead so I don't miss a turn.  It ended up being a 9:08 pace for the 4.25 miles.  That made me feel a little bit better about Sunday's race.  I know, it's easy to do it for four, but can I keep it up for 13?  DH joined me at the restaurant afterwards.  I had a Bells Two Hearted Ale and a pumpkin espresso stout.  Both were quite good.

Docket_Rocket

I was listening to Spanish music earlier in hopes of staying awake.  Fixing to switch over to the Crouching Tiger soundtrack.  Things aren't looking good for staying awake through seminar later ...

What were you listening to?  Artist and song please?  Curious about what genre you like in Spanish. Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

What were you listening to?  Artist and song please?  Curious about what genre you like in Spanish. Smile

Damaris, I forgot to mention in my RR that I have Livin' la Vida loca on my running playlist, and it started at about mile 9.5 in my race on Sunday!  It put a smile on my face as I thought of you and your concert Saturday night!

My favorite genre is Marc Anthony. Big grin  (is he a whole genre?  Let's include Ricky Martin, Prince Royce, and toss in the Santos brothers too)

Zelanie

Ran on campus today instead of towards downtown.  It was so nice because after dark downtown feels kind of dark and lonely.  But it's not actually that late, just dark, so of course campus was full of people playing frisbee and flag football and stuff.  There were enough lights on that I could take off my headlamp for a bit.

Brilliant, I have to admit that I can enjoy the boy band latin songs too.  Music my DD and I can both enjoy.    But my favorite is Calle 13.