Beginners and Beyond

Happy Chinese New Year Sunday Penguins! (Read 32 times)

From the Internet.

Blech. Streets were awful, got in 1.6 miles of my planned 2. At least it's something, and at this point with the injury still in my recent past I'd rather do too few miles than too many. Off to shower, then making nachos for lunch to replace all those calories I burned wobbling on the snow Big grin

Jen16226

Well I had a nice run on the trail here by my house.  The difference between "our" trail and the portion of it the next town up was like night and day.  I really just don't understand it. Whatever I guess.

I didn't get the full 5 miles in, but close.  Toward the end I stopped to talk to a friend of mine who was about to start his run and by the time we were done, I was just freezing cold and just headed home.  But I did jump on the treadmill to complete the 5 miles if that counts for anything.

Here are a couple of pictures for all of you.

This first one is me and my step-daughter from yesterday:

Me and Blair

Then this is one of the many beautiful views on the trail from my run today.  It is the Allegheny River

Allegheny River 1

allegheny river

There used to be an island in the middle at this section of the river that my DH's great great grandfather owned and farmed.  His family (on both sides actually) were part of the founders of our county.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

SheCan

Cherie, that does help, thank you. I was kind of wanting to do a full, but was thinking my base wasn't strong enough at 25-30. I think as my base gradually builds up to the 35-40 range, I will consider it again. I remember when 10 milers were awful, but now they seem normal. So as my LR gets to the 14-16 range consistently, then it will be time for a full.

Mitch

Mitch--- In my opinion, for what it's worth, I bet you're more ready then you think.  I know I didn't do 14-16 range LRs before my 1st marathon, and often don't now.  Only thing you is might want a longer training period for your first one, but it sounds like you're in a pretty good place if you wanted to do one.  I did about a 16 week schedule the first one, and a bit shorter, but more intense one my 2nd, and this one was my least structured.

Gustav- great cross training yesterday!

Awood-  awesome pictures you posted yesterday.  You look look like you're really getting fit!  Maybe it's time to update the avatar.

Lauren- Yum!  That ice cream looks so rich.  I've always loved homemade ice cream, but oddly it still hasn't ruined store bought for me. Enjoy your nachos!

Docket- awesome job.  You make me feel lucky that it gets cool here.

Jen-  that race sounds awful.  I feel for you; I truly don't see how people can safely run on the ice and snow.  Did you have some sort of special traction shoes or anything?  I'm glad at least you didn't break any bones.   Hope your knee is going to be okay.  Love the pictures!  You and your DD are such cuties.  It's so pretty by your house---though it does look cold!

Zelanie- what a nice day with your DD!  You're doing fantastic in your training.

kristin- gosh you have a fancy, sophisticated life!

Got my 8 miles in!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Bin - Happy New Year!  I hope the year of the snake isn't too tumultuous.  Last year was bad enough.

Gustav - you had a good workout, even with using a snowblower.

Lauren - cutting it short was smart, given conditions.

Jen - you got the miles in, that's what counts.  It's amazing how quickly you can cool down when you're not moving.  Pretty trail.  I wish we had something like that nearby.  Closest is the C&O, about 45 minutes from here.

Docket - good job doing doubles.  We're heading your way, hopefully we'll bring some of our colder air with us.  When we've been in Florida in the winter in the past, it was always really comfortable, with only a couple of hot days.  I'm hoping that will be the case this year as well.

Cherie - good job getting your 8 miles.

Lauren - I haven't had home made ice cream in years. Sounds lucious.

Scotty - I hope your race went well.

AFM:  The sun is shining, so I'm heading out shortly for a long run.  First time carrying water, but there's not enough snow left to trust I can grab some to wet my mouth. 

Docket_Rocket

It has usually been nice but the last Winter we had was two years ago.  Also, not all Florida is the same.  South Florida is at least 10-15F warmer than the rest of Florida, so if you're in Orlando or above, you should have a pleasant time and good weather.  If you're going to Ft. Myers or the West Coast, the weather is nice there too.  Only closer to us is where things get hot.

Hope you have a great time when you come.

Bin - Happy New Year!  I hope the year of the snake isn't too tumultuous.  Last year was bad enough.

Gustav - you had a good workout, even with using a snowblower.

Lauren - cutting it short was smart, given conditions.

Jen - you got the miles in, that's what counts.  It's amazing how quickly you can cool down when you're not moving.  Pretty trail.  I wish we had something like that nearby.  Closest is the C&O, about 45 minutes from here.

Docket - good job doing doubles.  We're heading your way, hopefully we'll bring some of our colder air with us.  When we've been in Florida in the winter in the past, it was always really comfortable, with only a couple of hot days.  I'm hoping that will be the case this year as well.

Cherie - good job getting your 8 miles.

Lauren - I haven't had home made ice cream in years. Sounds lucious.

Scotty - I hope your race went well.

AFM:  The sun is shining, so I'm heading out shortly for a long run.  First time carrying water, but there's not enough snow left to trust I can grab some to wet my mouth. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Afternoon, all!

Gustav- Busy weekend for you! Enjoy your run later.

Lauren- Sorry the roads were so miserable, nice job on slugging through it for your 1.6 miles though.

Mitch- Are you sick? I haven't managed to catch up the last few days.

Jen- Hope your sons appointment goes well Sad I had to have 4 teeth pulled for braces, it's not a pleasant experience. Especially when you've had the wrong tooth pulled in the past!

Cherie- Hope the 7-8 went well and weren't too cold!

Bin- Lots of goodies sounds wonderful. Happy Chinese New Year Smile

Docket- I don't think I'd ever be able to live where you do. Weather can be brutal here, but we do get some breaks. Nice job on the 11, despite the miserable weather.

Zelanie- Have fun with the shopping! 40 MPW, I can't even fathom it, lol.

Kristen- Very nice work-out Smile Enjoy the lunch and show!

Ginny- Have fun on your run!

AFM, SRD today. Had a VERY long day yesterday, had to leave at 4am to get to New Orleans for the Color Run. We had to walk 2 miles from where we parked, to where packet pick up was, then 1 mile back to the start line. By that point, I decided I was going to run with my 20 month old, 4 year old and my partners daughter. We run-walked, me carrying my youngest on my shoulders. Definitely feeling it in my upper body today.  I was so proud of my oldest, she did a really good job running! Our finish time was 47 minutes and I wouldn't change how we did it for the world. We doubled back to meet my partner who was walking with the empty stroller, lol. After lunch, we drove to see the Endymion parade, which was another 1.5 mile walk from the car. I have about 10 miles on my legs from yesterday, I need the break!

hog4life

Coralie, your kids are so cute! I'm not sick as in a cold or anything like that, I've just had a really tough week that had me very sore and tired. It caused me to miss a couple runs and cut some others short. I'm finally starting to feel back like normal.

Mmmmm...beer

Hello colony! Smile

16.1 miles done, 11 laps around the lake, it was a great run.  I love running out there, makes me wonder why I run on the road at all. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

MrNamtor

Amazing that this thread has the same number of views as it does replies. Meaning that everyone who's viewed this thread has also left a post? Ok, well, I'm glad i didn't break the pattern Big grin

Philliefan33

Just back from my LR. I usually do my long runs on Saturday, but yesterday was cold and windy so i opted for the treadmill, and I don't have the patience to spend two hours running in place.

Today was glorious. Sunny, 34 degrees, and no wind. I felt so good as I neared the end that I did one more little loop and ended up with 10.8 miles instead of the planned 10.

I think I might have found a fueling strategy that works for my 2+ hour runs. Since my last meal was a couple of hours before I started my run, I ate half a Power Bar as I got dressed to go out. Then I cut the other half into four pieces and put them in a baggie to carry with me. After about 5 miles I eat these Scooby snacks one at a time as needed, either for energy or out of boredom.   Today I only ate two. I don't know if it's a real effect or a placebo, but it works for me.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I celebrated my birthday today by doing the Be My Valentine 5K in San Antonio along the Riverwalk.  Here is the link to my report and photos, which is posted on the forum here somewhere.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/66113d9647b74210829b5842cc687964/resume#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Phillie, good news on the fuel. What flavor?

GinnyinPA

Coralie - sounds like a good way to do a Color Run.  Did the kids enjoy it?

Philliefan and D2- sounds like you both had good runs.  It was beautiful here too.

Scotty - happy birthday for real this time.

Damaris - I have no idea where we're going to end up.  We always play our trips by ear.  We go to various State Parks where we can camp and hike and I can run.  We had intended to go out to Arizona this year, but there are some family issues that make this a bad time to visit.  Last year we stayed in northern Florida and were along the shore during a really cold spell, though it warmed up after a bit.  Our previous trip we went all the way to Key West - in the rain - so didn't get to enjoy it much.  And that was a cold winter anyhow, even in Florida.  The trip before that was mostly central and northern Florida.  Florida has a lot of state parks, so who knows where we'll end up.

My run today was a mixture.  I wasn't feeling a lot of energy, despite the sunshine.  It took a long time to warm up, and I was having a really hard time with the hills.  I started to do a big loop that ends with a long climb but after 5 1/2 miles I decided I really wasn't feeling it, so I called my husband to meet me at the ice cream shop (thanks Lauren!) and we had some ice cream for lunch.  I got cold and stiff eating it, so I went home, drank some water, and got on the treadmill to finish out my 8 miles.  Doing so much running on the TM makes it really hard when I do go outside because my lungs just don't handle the hills well.  I know it will get better with practice, but I'm still at the stage where every molehill feels like a mountain.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Just got home.  I'm going to start working on my RR, and should have it up shortly.  I'm sorry, but I didn't take any pictures.  I'll nab one from a friend facebook page :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Phillie, good news on the fuel. What flavor?

So far I've gone with peanut butter. I have a chocolate for next week.

The PB Power Bars are kind of sticky, but since it's been cold they haven't stuck together in my pocket. I wonder how they will hold up when it's hot.