Beginners and Beyond

Rice, Rice DAILIES (Read 44 times)

LRB

'Sup team!

I have been so carb starved the past six weeks or so but have found that rice is one of the few things that satiates me.  Brown or wild, fried or white, it doesn't matter; I have been gobbling it up like it's going out of style and today will be no different!

Later for that though as a run is up first, probably with strides as it has been about a month since I last done any.

And it is already in the mid 30's, which means I may be able to dress like a real runner.

Honk if you see me.  Whoop!  Whoop! 

delicate flower

GREETINGS, PEOPLE OF THURSDAY!  And today is my Friday.  HOORAY three day weekend! 

9.2 miles yesterday at an 8:33 average clip.  I felt fine for five miles but quickly ran out of steam.  The last four miles are mostly uphill and I was tired.  I hear that can happen during marathon training.  I've got 8 easy miles planned for this evening.

<3

Happy pseudo-Friday to everyone who has the day off tomorrow!

I was tired.  I hear that can happen during marathon training. 

That is a common myth. Tell your body it is not correct, and it is just being stupid.

I plan to try to shake off the cobwebs & try a short slow run at lunchtime. I think any more rest days and I am just being lazy.

Dave

on my way to badass

I am so glad we're talking about rice and not R.I.C.E.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Rick, I love rice too, we've been doing black rice lately, wife cooks it in chicken broth, mmmmm.  She does a mean rice and chicken casserole, that's my go to pre-race meal now. Smile  Enjoy the strides!

Phil, enjoy the long weekend, hope you have a lil more pep in your run later, marathon training definitely wears on ya.

AFM, some easy miles in a bit, probably around 5-6.

So originally I was planning to run the Shamrock Marathon again next year and shoot for a sub-3, but now they have come out with the King Neptune Challenge.  Previously at Shamrock, there was the Dolphin and Whale Challenges, that was the 8K on Sat, combined with either the Half (Dolphin) or Full (Whale) on Sunday.  For next year, there is the King Neptune Challenge, 8K on Sat and Half and Full on Sunday, the full immediately after the half.  In order to do it, you have to run the half in under 1:50 in order to start the marathon on time.  I'm not usually one for gimmicky things like this, but it sounds like fun, so I'm going to do it.  But that takes away my shot at sub-3 (which I was going to use to register for Boston '16).

So the new plan is to run Richmond this year on Nov 15th.  I will spend the next 12 weeks base building and then start a Pfitz 18/70 plan (that I failed to complete for my recent marathon), on July 13th.  I already have a half planned for Oct 5th, so that'll be a good tuneup race and allow six weeks to recover/continue training before the full.  A big part of reaching this goal will be dropping 20-25lbs.  I ran my marathon at 195lbs and can reasonably hit 170-175 with some focus.  I said I wanted to get more focused this year, so here we go. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

delicate flower

I am so glad we're talking about rice and not R.I.C.E.

Bananas, compression, rest, applesauce.

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Dave, hope you get out and have a good run, I hate it when I take too much time off.

SF, that was my first thought too!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning everyone. Yeah, I needed the R.I.C.E. last night. IDK how I did it, but I injured my foot a little bit. I'm still hoping that it's just an overuse injury and it'll get better on it's own. Just a bit more than three weeks to go until my next race. Last night I strapped a cold pack to my foot and elevated it. It did feel a lot better, but I still could feel something there. During my run this morning I didn't feel anything, which was a good sign.

Speaking of my run, I did an Easy 3 on the TM. Today is also my Friday, so I'll be planning on running outside tomorrow and Saturday. Ahhh, I appreciate running outside after the long winter.

Have a good one!

- Andrew

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yesterday I rested, this ankle issue is really bugging me so I figured this morning I would try 4 miles on the trails and see if the softer surface would help and wear the brace during the run. It seemed to help, but now my brace is in the washer due to all the mud Sad

Rocky and I ran 4.3 miles and I plan on running the hilly trails at Audubon this afternoon, about 3 or 4  miles. I really think this be a super cutback week to give my legs rest, maybe start sticking to the trails as much as possible and cut my long run down to like 12 or something.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

StepbyStep-SH

Rice sounds good! We'll probably have some tonight, as we promised DS we would try sushi on our family weekend getaway.

5 s-l-o-w easy miles this morning after two days with some faster paced work. And heading out now with the family for some fun. I am leaving the computer at home, so I may not check in much. Catch you all next week! Have a great one!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Sushi is yummy and family weekend getaways are the bomb! (did I just use that expression?) Enjoy your family adventure, Shari!

The plan says 15 miles, all easy, plus 4 more later, at recovery. hahahah... The plan will be lucky if I do one of the two.  Hopefully all under 8:00 pace, just to be contrarian.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

Morning!  I got home super late and went to bed super early last night, so no running.  This morning I have track club with the kids, so I'll at least get 2 in.

I have finally figured out a way to cook brown rice so that I'm happy with how it turns out.  You rinse it really well, then boil it uncovered in a giant pan with a ton of water for half an hour.  Then you drain it really quickly (don't rinse) and put it back in the pan, but off the heat.  Cover it, and in 15 minutes it will be perfect!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  16 miles done this morning before working from home.  I can now say I AM BACK!

Fried rice, hmmmm.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning!  16 miles done this morning before working from home.  I can now say I AM BACK!

Fried rice, hmmmm.

Holy crap D.

- Andrew

LRB